Ukraine Crisis

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Archangel

greenmark wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:01 pm
Archangel wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:52 pm
Not sure why Germany are so reluctant to supply weapons to Ukraine. Been like that since the start

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/01/20 ... raine-news
The link is behind a paywall. Can you copy/paste or summarise?
Certainly

BERLIN — Western defense officials on Friday failed to reach an agreement on exporting German-made battle tanks to Ukraine, setting back Ukraine’s hopes of quickly getting a weapon it sees as crucial to its defense against an expected new Russian offensive.

At the end of the U.S.-led meeting of Ukraine’s allies at Ramstein Air Base in Germany, the U.S. defense secretary, Lloyd J. Austin III, told reporters that the meeting had come at a “decisive moment” for Ukraine and said that those gathered had focused on providing air defense, armor and training for Ukraine.

But hopes had been high that the officials would announce a deal to send Germany’s Leopard 2 main battle tank to the battlefield, or at least to allow other countries with those tanks to send them to Ukraine. Officials from Germany and the United States, in particular, have been negotiating unsuccessfully on the matter for days.

Mr. Austin said that attendees at the meeting were “pushing hard” to meet Ukraine’s needs for tanks and armored vehicles.

When asked about whether officials had discussed the provision of German-made tanks, Mr. Austin referred a reporter to earlier remarks from Germany’s defense minister saying that a decision had not yet been taken. And in terms of whether the U.S. would provide its own M1 Abrams tanks, Mr. Austin said, “I don’t have any announcements to make.”

The lack of agreement was certain to disappoint many in Ukraine, whose president, Volodymyr Zelensky, earlier had explicitly appealed to those gathered to send tanks.

“Hundreds of thank-yous are not hundreds of tanks,” he said via live video. “All of us can use thousands of words in discussions, but I cannot use words instead of guns.”

Germany has been reluctant to send in some of its Leopard 2 tanks without Washington’s delivering at least a token number of its Abrams tanks, although Germany’s new defense minister, Boris Pistorius, said at a break during the meetings that the debate was not so clear-cut.

Many allies in Europe had been publicly piling pressure on Germany to allow other nations to re-export their own Leopard tanks to Ukraine. Because the tanks are German-made, approval from Berlin is required to transfer the vehicles to another country.

No agreement was made on that either, Mr. Pistorius said during a break in negotiations earlier in the day.

“There is no unified consensus,” he told reporters. “The impression that has occasionally been created that there is a united coalition and that Germany is standing in the way is wrong.”

Some German lawmakers said privately this week that even other countries that have expressed a desire to send their Leopards remain reluctant to request re-export licenses until all European partners — including Germany — agree to send tanks. There are concerns Russia might see the move as an escalation, and they want a united front so that Moscow cannot target certain countries.

Mr. Pistorius said there was no timeline for a deal on tanks, saying it could take between a day and weeks. “None of us can say today when a decision will be made and what the decision will be on the Leopard tanks,” he said during the break.

But in a sign that some movement is anticipated, the defense minister said he had ordered his ministry to start an inventory of Germany’s Leopard 1 and Leopard 2 tanks and to prepare for training Ukrainian soldiers.

“This is not to prejudice the outcome,” he said. “It’s to prepare for a day that will possibly come, at which point we would be able to act immediately and deliver the support within a very short period of time.”

He said he would welcome other European countries who own Leopards starting the same preparations.
greenmark

Archangel wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:18 pm
greenmark wrote:
Archangel wrote:
Not sure why Germany are so reluctant to supply weapons to Ukraine. Been like that since the start

Certainly

BERLIN — Western defense officials on Friday failed to reach an agreement on exporting German-made battle tanks to Ukraine, setting back Ukraine’s hopes of quickly getting a weapon it sees as crucial to its defense against an expected new Russian offensive.

At the end of the U.S.-led meeting of Ukraine’s allies at Ramstein Air Base in Germany, the U.S. defense secretary, Lloyd J. Austin III, told reporters that the meeting had come at a “decisive moment” for Ukraine and said that those gathered had focused on providing air defense, armor and training for Ukraine.

But hopes had been high that the officials would announce a deal to send Germany’s Leopard 2 main battle tank to the battlefield, or at least to allow other countries with those tanks to send them to Ukraine. Officials from Germany and the United States, in particular, have been negotiating unsuccessfully on the matter for days.

Mr. Austin said that attendees at the meeting were “pushing hard” to meet Ukraine’s needs for tanks and armored vehicles.

When asked about whether officials had discussed the provision of German-made tanks, Mr. Austin referred a reporter to earlier remarks from Germany’s defense minister saying that a decision had not yet been taken. And in terms of whether the U.S. would provide its own M1 Abrams tanks, Mr. Austin said, “I don’t have any announcements to make.”

The lack of agreement was certain to disappoint many in Ukraine, whose president, Volodymyr Zelensky, earlier had explicitly appealed to those gathered to send tanks.

“Hundreds of thank-yous are not hundreds of tanks,” he said via live video. “All of us can use thousands of words in discussions, but I cannot use words instead of guns.”

Germany has been reluctant to send in some of its Leopard 2 tanks without Washington’s delivering at least a token number of its Abrams tanks, although Germany’s new defense minister, Boris Pistorius, said at a break during the meetings that the debate was not so clear-cut.

Many allies in Europe had been publicly piling pressure on Germany to allow other nations to re-export their own Leopard tanks to Ukraine. Because the tanks are German-made, approval from Berlin is required to transfer the vehicles to another country.

No agreement was made on that either, Mr. Pistorius said during a break in negotiations earlier in the day.

“There is no unified consensus,” he told reporters. “The impression that has occasionally been created that there is a united coalition and that Germany is standing in the way is wrong.”

Some German lawmakers said privately this week that even other countries that have expressed a desire to send their Leopards remain reluctant to request re-export licenses until all European partners — including Germany — agree to send tanks. There are concerns Russia might see the move as an escalation, and they want a united front so that Moscow cannot target certain countries.

Mr. Pistorius said there was no timeline for a deal on tanks, saying it could take between a day and weeks. “None of us can say today when a decision will be made and what the decision will be on the Leopard tanks,” he said during the break.

But in a sign that some movement is anticipated, the defense minister said he had ordered his ministry to start an inventory of Germany’s Leopard 1 and Leopard 2 tanks and to prepare for training Ukrainian soldiers.

“This is not to prejudice the outcome,” he said. “It’s to prepare for a day that will possibly come, at which point we would be able to act immediately and deliver the support within a very short period of time.”

He said he would welcome other European countries who own Leopards starting the same preparations.
Thankyou for that. (And Kai's suggestion will give that a try).

I imagine Germany's reluctance maybe their proximity to Ukraine.
I think the NATO strategy of supplying Ukraine is right.
It's now obvious that Russia's only chance of "victory" is nukes and NATO would retaliate, and we'd all be smoked.
We don't want to push Russia into that cul-de-sac.
Surely after 9 months of waste there should be negotiation. Surely? Who has profited from this? Weapon makers and undertakers.
I never thought I'd see this again in Europe. Was Bosnia not enough of an alarm?
Emmson

I admit to having some Ukraine fatigue but that does not mean I want to Ukraine to be overrun and defeated. Like Covid 19 trying to follow everything day after day takes its toll.

Ukrainians cannot afford to have fatigue
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:14 pm
greenmark wrote:
Archangel wrote:

Lmao looks like you can beat the paywall by just clicking on "stop loading page" as it's loading, can't believe that worked :lol:
:lol: I didn't realise you can do that. They must have some webmaster on that site!
Emmson

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:57 pm
Kai wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:14 pm
greenmark wrote:

Lmao looks like you can beat the paywall by just clicking on "stop loading page" as it's loading, can't believe that worked :lol:
:lol: I didn't realise you can do that. They must have some webmaster on that site!
New York Times is quite easy to read on Way Back Machine I find, as well as Washington Post. Those 2 more than any other newspaper around the world I find.
Emmson

http://web.archive.org/web/202301200631 ... raine-news

Its sister site OpenLibrary.org is one of the greatest discoveries I've ever had on the internet.
napshnap

Archangel wrote:

Dude... the history, tens of millions of dead on both sides, the burned reichstag. Short span memory is not so short. They all cant physically fit into Archery's bunker.
Kai

greenmark wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:12 pm
Thankyou for that. (And Kai's suggestion will give that a try).
Well, I mentioned this years ago but my usual way of dealing with these annoying paywalls was to just quickly press Ctrl+A as the page is loading and then paste the article text in Notepad, that always works in a pinch as well.
napshnap

Emmson wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:18 pm
I admit to having some Ukraine fatigue but that does not mean I want to Ukraine to be overrun and defeated. Like Covid 19 trying to follow everything day after day takes its toll.

Ukrainians cannot afford to have fatigue
Can you explain, please, why do the people (if we allow ourselves for a moment the thought that they/we can be subjects of political process) "cannot afford to have fatigue" (and they ARE TIRED, they so fkn tired!!) and should continue being involved into "ruling class" shenanigans as a cannon fodder?
I read it as "they should keep fighting and dying for something", FOR WHAT??
Would you allow that for your close ones, your friends? Maybe it's acceptable only for some far away ruritanians...
Archangel

napshnap wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:08 am
Archangel wrote:

Dude... the history, tens of millions of dead on both sides, the burned reichstag. Short span memory is not so short. They all cant physically fit into Archery's bunker.
I dont get your point at all. Surely thats a reason Germany SHOULD be helping out more with military aid. They have first hand experience of mad leaders and what can happen if left unchecked
napshnap

Archangel wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:17 pm
napshnap wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:08 am
Archangel wrote:

I dont get your point at all. Surely thats a reason Germany SHOULD be helping out more with military aid. They have first hand experience of mad leaders and what can happen if left unchecked
One totalitarian asshole won over another totalitarian asshole. The lesson is - mind your own business and avoid any crazy asshole being it eastern, western or from dimension X. And that what Germany is trying to do (kind of), what you, Mothers Courages, can't understand.
Last edited by napshnap on Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archangel

napshnap wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:00 pm

One totalitarian asshole won over another totalitarian asshole. The lesson is - mind your own bussines and avoid any crazy asshole being it eastern, western or from dimension X. And that what Germany is trying to do (kind of), what you, Mothers Courages, can't understand.
Your philosophy would not have worked out too well for the world 80 years ago, if everyone just minded their own business and let the assholes get on with it, eh !
greenmark

Archangel wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:21 pm
napshnap wrote:

One totalitarian asshole won over another totalitarian asshole. The lesson is - mind your own bussines and avoid any crazy asshole being it eastern, western or from dimension X. And that what Germany is trying to do (kind of), what you, Mothers Courages, can't understand.
Your philosophy would not have worked out too well for the world 80 years ago, if everyone just minded their own business and let the assholes get on with it, eh !
Stalin helped beat Hitler after Hitler rampaged into his country.
If you put NATO or Ukraine into the same category as either of those dictators napshnap, I fear for your sanity.
And it's now Putin that has invaded a neighbour and definitely does not have right on his side.
Ukraine may be fatigued but they won't cede anything to Putin without a fight. And NATO will provide as much support as they can.
The Russian tactic of hitting Ukraine's energy system in winter is deeply cynical. Russia no longer has the balls to fight on the battlefield.
All of the measured response has come from Ukraine and NATO. NATO could supply long range missiles, Ukraine could use what they've got to attack Russia directly. That hasn't happened and won't.
Russia hasn't the resources or friends to maintain this project. The sooner Putin backs down the better.
napshnap

Archangel wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:21 pm
napshnap wrote:

I don't have a crystal ball for that. We just don't know what would happen.
Btw, Switzerland avoided both world wars wonderfully.
Archangel

napshnap wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:59 pm

I don't have a crystal ball for that. We just don't know what would happen.
Btw, Switzerland avoided both world wars wonderfully.
It is worth noting that the allies did employ a hands off approach in the early days of Germanys expansion in the 30's. Neville Chamberlain and his famous quote "Peace in our time" by trying to appease hitler. USA also wanted nothing to do with a war in Europe
The memory of WW1 and its awful death toll was too fresh in peoples minds
Standing on the sidelines ultimately didnt work out too well for anyone in WW2, except of course perhaps Switzerland. But they did of course become the nazi's bankers

Return to “Chill Out Area”