If Sports Trading Ended and Daytrading Financial Markets

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
ODPaul82

Might have been hold'em manager. I used to use tournament indicator
I only play for near enough penny stakes these days on SNG's, I had a choice of taking either that or trading seriously and I chose the latter.
Archery1969

I remember the days of running HoldemBot + table hopper and playing 20 tables at once. Made some nice cash back in the day but then got banned as poker room installed software on my machine which was searching for other software. They took my balance at the time of just over £1200 with no chance of getting it back.

I still use HoldemBot for tournaments on Sunday evenings. About once a month it mange’s you get to the final table after hundreds of others have lost to earn a fair amount of money.

Had to hide the directory containing HoldemBot and rename it to something else. Plus I blocked iSnare from being installed on the fly.

These poker rooms are pretty good at detecting any kind of bots or automation running on your local machine or via VPS.

Happy days. :)
ODPaul82

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:08 pm
I remember the days of running HoldemBot + table hopper and playing 20 tables at once. Made some nice cash back in the day but then got banned as poker room installed software on my machine which was searching for other software. They took my balance at the time of just over £1200 with no chance of getting it back.

I still use HoldemBot for tournaments on Sunday evenings. About once a month it mange’s you get to the final table after hundreds of others have lost to earn a fair amount of money.

Had to hide the directory containing HoldemBot and rename it to something else. Plus I blocked iSnare from being installed on the fly.

These poker rooms are pretty good at detecting any kind of bots or automation running on your local machine or via VPS.

I did contemplate before setting the hand details save to a network drive and having something running on a different machine reading from that folder to then review and give me my edge but for me it's all purely for fun these days.
Archery1969

ODPaul82 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:02 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:08 pm

I did contemplate before setting the hand details save to a network drive and having something running on a different machine reading from that folder to then review and give me my edge but for me it's all purely for fun these days.
I got a mate who does something similar. It calculates +/- EV based on your hand, number of opponents and pot odds. The table is read from another machine and does the calculation.

It’s all fun. :)
ShaunWhite

When I played poker I stuck to MTTs. Bots are fine at churning the cash limit tables but pretty clueless when it comes to tournament strategy. Used to do OK but the format isn't viable to make a living and it takes too much focus to do the 16 simultaneous tables stuff.
Trader Pat

I briefly multi-tabled back in the day but it was way too time consuming.

I didn't lose any money but I did lose a gf because of poker. I stood her up one night because I found a table with 3 fish and was making too much money to tear myself away. I made the mistake of trying to explain that to her and all she heard was fish. She told her mates I stood her up for tropical fish :D
Derek27

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:10 pm
I briefly multi-tabled back in the day but it was way too time consuming.

I didn't lose any money but I did lose a gf because of poker. I stood her up one night because I found a table with 3 fish and was making too much money to tear myself away. I made the mistake of trying to explain that to her and all she heard was fish. She told her mates I stood her up for tropical fish :D
You've now joined the same club as LeTiss. :)
sniffer66

I used to run OpenHoldem - opensource c++ bot. Was easily the best out there back in the day, but a steep learning curve. Spent many hours\days scraping the decks for each site - all had to be done manually. Had about 20 servers in my loft and each running 12 tables 24\7. Fully automated reboots, site and table loads, cashouts (left as little as possible in each bank). Randomising click times, pixels clicks and hiding the code in a viral rootkit so it couldn't be spotted. Happy times.
I had so many ID's from friends and relatives it was getting hard to keep track

Thought I was made for life at one point when I made £7k in one month, but the changes in US legislation and better bot detection gradually blew away my edge
Anbell

ODPaul82 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:35 am
Anbell wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:10 am
ODPaul82 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:23 am
I'd look to put my development skills to use and create an exchange via TOR that took some of the more stable coins as methods of payment.
I wouldn't suspend for stuff like VAR, complete buyer discretion.

Failing that, data consultancy.
I'm always interested in what you have to say - but I don't understand much of this! Feel free to expand?
So TOR is the onion router which basically allows you to connect to what people call the darkweb, it's basically a lot more secure but the legality of a lot what goes on there is questionable...

It would probably be more a pet-project for me but would be near enough a clone of the functionality of betfair. Due to the premise of sports trading ending by the OP, the whole idea of an exchange would be a grey-area therefore taking stable coins as payment/balance. Stable coins are pretty much virtual coins that are tied to the value of an asset such as gold so they don't have the massive swings associated with other virtual coins.

Back-end I'd probably write in rust as (a) it's fast and (b) it lends itself particularly well for creating APIs. DB would be postgres due to LISTEN/NOTIFY
Front-end probably mix of Angular and NodeJS
Thanks!
Derek27

ODPaul82 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:35 am
Anbell wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:10 am
ODPaul82 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:23 am
I'd look to put my development skills to use and create an exchange via TOR that took some of the more stable coins as methods of payment.
I wouldn't suspend for stuff like VAR, complete buyer discretion.

Failing that, data consultancy.
I'm always interested in what you have to say - but I don't understand much of this! Feel free to expand?
So TOR is the onion router which basically allows you to connect to what people call the darkweb, it's basically a lot more secure but the legality of a lot what goes on there is questionable...

It would probably be more a pet-project for me but would be near enough a clone of the functionality of betfair. Due to the premise of sports trading ending by the OP, the whole idea of an exchange would be a grey-area therefore taking stable coins as payment/balance. Stable coins are pretty much virtual coins that are tied to the value of an asset such as gold so they don't have the massive swings associated with other virtual coins.

Back-end I'd probably write in rust as (a) it's fast and (b) it lends itself particularly well for creating APIs. DB would be postgres due to LISTEN/NOTIFY
Front-end probably mix of Angular and NodeJS
I've just looked up onion routers, dark web, etc. Fascinating technology, but I now feel as though my life has moved from 16-year-old Z80/6502 whizzkid to ex-COBOL middle-aged fart. :lol:
ODPaul82

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:41 am
I've just looked up onion routers, dark web, etc. Fascinating technology, but I now feel as though my life has moved from 16-year-old Z80/6502 whizzkid to ex-COBOL middle-aged fart. :lol:
90% of the time I'm just using VBA :lol:
ShaunWhite

If sports trading ended? Make a significant investment in grow lights. That's an alternative way to get a non-taxable income from greening up. ;)
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:41 am
Fascinating technology, but I now feel as though my life has moved from 16-year-old Z80/6502 whizzkid to ex-COBOL middle-aged fart. :lol:
Jeez I know that feeling. Hotshot wizzkid one moment, then one day you wake up feeling like a clueless old fool. How the hell did that happen! They're only standing on the shoulders of giants Derek :)
weemac

It's all geek to me.
sniffer66

When I first started in support it was DOS 6.x, Win 3.10, NT 3.5 server, mainframes, dumb terminals and Token Ring networks

Kids these days..... :D

Return to “Chill Out Area”