Mindless menace of violence

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Trader Pat

Archery1969 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:21 pm
But remember, if someone is mentally ill or just hell bent on causing carnage then there is not allot you can do to stop them. They could just as easliy drive a truck the wrong way down a motorway or into crowds of people as happened in France.
Unfortunately, most of these people seem to live in the US. If they lived in France or most other countries around the world, they wouldn't have access to AR15s
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:11 pm
They have the fillibuster and a brown envelope from the gun "lobby".
That seems to be the biggest problem. Money talks and politicians main priority is being re-elected.

Thats an extremely dangerous combination in a country where you have such easy access to weapons.
Archery1969

To try and offer something constructive to the issue (I am not a believer in banning anything or telling people what they can and cannot do within reason):

- Remove the 2nd amendment. You would need to get all 50 states to agree as changing the constitution is difficult without full concensus. How you do it doesnt really matter. Some kind of incentives or bribes if thats what it takes. I am sure sensible politicans can think of something.
- Every gun sale requires a 21 day waiting period. This already works in NYC and some other states. This will be for a full ATF/FBI/Medical check.
- Setup a national victims of gun crime social fund. Money from this would be paid to victims living or to their immeadiate familes if they been killed.
- $500 levy for each new gun sale. Money to be paid into fund above.
- $1 levy for each new round of ammunition sale. Money to be paid into fund above.
- 10% annual levy from gun and ammunition makers. Money to be paid into fund above.
- All reloading components banned. This will stop people from bypassing the ammunition levy.
- All gun sales(not ammunition) to be recorded with persons SSN, DOB, Photo ID, Current address.
- Guns can only be bought from FFL dealers. No more private sales of any kind.

If all the above got agreed then your next problem is what to do about the existing 360 million guns already in circulation.

Remember, about 70 million people currently own one or more firearms. Telling them to register them or hand them over otherwise you will get a 10 year prison term probably wont go down very well. That would be a big army to piss off if they got organised. ;)
Derek27

What a mess! The door was propped open by a teacher, over an hour for the police to enter the building, meanwhile parents were pepper-sprayed and handcuffed as they begged police to do something!
Derek27

flipping hell!! They're now saying after 4 minutes of heavy gunfire there was a belief that children were no longer in danger. The police officer at the press conference has just burst into tears!
Trader Pat

I think you'll have to give a brief outline of what your point is Nap... Not sure many of us would be willing to sit through 15 minutes of Tucker Carlson :)
napshnap

Trader Pat wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:52 am
I think you'll have to give a brief outline of what your point is Nap... Not sure many of us would be willing to sit through 15 minutes of Tucker Carlson :)
Pat, I have already spoken - viewtopic.php?p=300563#p300563.

The process of removing of their "fangs" is underway. Canada, then USA, their states defeated the evil, utopia has come, their states merged with the people, just relax, take another joint (or mushroom or cocaine or other escapist's drug) and relaaaax...

What's wrong with Tucker? You should value such "jesters", you can count them on the fingers of one hand.
Last edited by napshnap on Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trader Pat

napshnap wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:11 pm
Trader Pat wrote:

The process of removing their "fangs" is underway. Canada, then USA, their states defeated the evil, utopia has come, their states merged with the people, just relax, take another joint (or mushroom or cocaine or other escapist's drug) and relaaaax...
Ok understood... I think

I'll hold off on the mushrooms until after today's racing is over :)
napshnap

Trader Pat wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:14 pm
napshnap wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:11 pm
Trader Pat wrote:

The process of removing their "fangs" is underway. Canada, then USA, their states defeated the evil, utopia has come, their states merged with the people, just relax, take another joint (or mushroom or cocaine or other escapist's drug) and relaaaax...
Ok understood... I think

I'll hold off on the mushrooms until after today's racing is over :)
You, sir, are missing an interesting opportunities!
Derek27

Random killer on the loose in Illinois.
Archery1969

The main problem in the US is the fact that there is NO gun/firearm registry. Although there maybe 380 million of them in circulation, the Police don't know who has what or how many. Trying to recify that by having a gun amnesty or a new law requirement everyone to register them is pretty much unenforceable. Think about it, how would you even try to enact that. The only way would be to find a judge willing to sign a national search warrant for every property, then having the Police and Army start searching properties. That is never going to happen in a million years.

There is however one area they could do something. For those that don't know, when you goto a gun shop and buy a firearm, you fill out a form with ID, this is then telephoned across to ATF/FBI for a background check via NICS, there are 3 outcomes:

- Grant
- Decline (Under age, Convicted fellon, spent more than 3 months in a mental institution, someone else is using your SSN)
- Wait. This is the one that I think creates problems. Basically, for whatever reason, the NICS system is down and/or can't access fellon and/or mental institution records. The buyer is given 3 days. They come back to the shop after this WAIT period and if the shop has not received a Decline by NICS then by law they have to sell the gun/firearm to the person if they still want it.

It doesn't matter if you got a Grant, Decline or WAIT back, all records of what you bought or attempted to buy have to be destroyed by law. Hence there is no registry.

How nuts is that. :o

Return to “Chill Out Area”