Treason

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Archery1969

A man found in the grounds of Windsor Castle on Christmas Day has been charged with treason offences, police said.

Treason against the Queen, isnt there an outdated law for that which requires hanging ?
greenmark

:lol:
Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:31 pm
A man found in the grounds of Windsor Castle on Christmas Day has been charged with treason offences, police said.

Treason against the Queen, isnt there an outdated law for that which requires hanging ?
:lol: Queen hangs trespasser. Can you imagine the furore?
I do sometimes wonder what dodgy dealing happens beyond the reach of the media.
Derek27

I'm not sure what the definition of treason is but the PM lied to the Queen so hang the bastard! :D
Derek27

It's hard to believe we still have treason in the 21st century. Why not bring back witchcraft as a crime?
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:05 pm
I'm not sure what the definition of treason is but the PM lied to the Queen so hang the bastard! :D
:lol:
Archery1969

Apparently he meant to do harm or kill the Queen . It may well be the 21st Century but in my book he should be hung, drawn and quartered in public.

I will even sharpen the knives for free.

🤠
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:06 pm
Apparently he meant to do harm or kill the Queen . It may well be the 21st Century but in my book he should be hung, drawn and quartered in public.

🤠
If Johnson was going to be hung, drawn & quartered I'd be the executioner for free. :D

If he intended harm to the queen he should receive the same punishment as if he intended harm to anyone else. In the trial of the ex-soldier who fired blanks at the queen, the judge was adamant that he would have used live rounds if he could get hold of them but I can't even imagine how he could conclude that. I'm sure he could have got hold of them if he really wanted to.
ShaunWhite

Archery1969 wrote:

🤠
Hanging for contemplating killing one woman? What's the punishment for the 10s of thousands actually suffering and dead because of an underfunded NHS and social services? The guy was mentally ill so clearly a victim of that rather than being responsible enough to swing.
Archery1969

I wouldn’t call £270 billion per year being underfunded.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:45 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

🤠
Hanging for contemplating killing one woman? What's the punishment for the 10s of thousands actually suffering and dead because of an underfunded NHS and social services? The guy was mentally ill so clearly a victim of that rather than being responsible enough to swing.
Reminds me of the Scottish soldier in The Meaning Of Life: "Back at home they'd hang me for killing someone, but here they give you a fuckin' medal". :)
Archery1969

Wonder why they charging him with Treason. I presume its because if found guilty the Judge wont have much discreation and he will never be seen again with a whole life term. :roll:
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:36 pm
Wonder why they charging him with Treason. I presume its because if found guilty the Judge wont have much discreation and he will never be seen again with a whole life term. :roll:
Treason: the crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill or overthrow the sovereign or government

They should have strong reason to believe the intention was to kill, going by that definition, which I know isn't the full law. But given how loosely they use the anti-terrorism laws to arrest people they want when they have no other grounds to do so, I wouldn't read much into it.
Jukebox

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:07 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:36 pm
Treason: the crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill or overthrow the sovereign or government

They should have strong reason to believe the intention was to kill, going by that definition, which I know isn't the full law. But given how loosely they use the anti-terrorism laws to arrest people they want when they have no other grounds to do so, I wouldn't read much into it.
I think that uploading a video to social media making the threat and then being caught on the grounds with a crossbow is reasonable grounds to suspect intention - but it will be tested in court.
Archery1969

Following an investigation by counter-terrorism police, he was charged with making threats to kill, possession of an offensive weapon and an offence under Section 2 of the Treason Act 1842.

Section 2 details punishment for "discharging or aiming fire-arms, or throwing or using any offensive matter or weapon, with intent to injure or alarm her Majesty".

Blimey!
greenmark

A person convicted of treason is liable to imprisonment for life or for any shorter term.[63] A whole life tariff may be imposed for the gravest offences.

Get a flipping grip!

Return to “Chill Out Area”