John Motson Passes Away aged 77

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Dallas

So sad to hear the news of John Motson's passing, like thousands of others I grew up listening to his football commentary with one of the most recognisable voices on TV and radio and his trade mark sheepskin coat
Kai

Always liked his commentary when I used to regularly watch MotD, while Martin Tyler is my least fav due to his anti-LFC bias, just seems to suck out all the enjoyment out of every goal.

Btw noticed there are like 7 RIP threads on the front page of the chill out subforum, looks a bit like a depressing obituary section, maybe would be sensible to have a dedicated RIP thread?
greenmark

Sad he didn't get more of a retirement. But I guess working past retirement age tells you he loved his job and it showed. The attention to preparing his data for every match and the ability to get excited but still remain coherent.
But also his journalistic ability, I seem to remember he was the commentator on Hillsborough as it happened and he just described what he could see. That must have taken a lot composure.

He set a high standard for everyone else to match. RIP Motty.
Dallas

Kai wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:44 pm

Btw noticed there are like 7 RIP threads on the front page of the chill out subforum, looks a bit like a depressing obituary section, maybe would be sensible to have a dedicated RIP thread?
Actually there is one, but guess we went through a spell of no one passing one for a while shortly after starting it and it got forgotten about
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=11042&p=93269

Probably makes sense to merge them all together and make it for both sports and celebrity tributes

Return to “Chill Out Area”