Stuff to watch

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
LeTiss

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:30 pm
A listen rather than a watch.

"I stole €1.75 million to fund my gambling addiction".....
Tony O’Reilly remembers the first bet he ever placed. It was 1998, and Tony was a 24-year-old living in Carlow, Ireland, when the nation was gripped by World Cup fever. He and a friend placed a £1 bet on the Netherlands v Argentina game. Why not, after all, it was only £1?
Yet this seemingly harmless act triggered such a severe addiction that, 12 years later, Tony would be financially ruined, reliant on theft, and on the run from the law.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... -addiction
Cheers Shaun. That was a great read
johnsheppard

This made me want to give it all up and become a cutting board maker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zo6fV_XrcA

After I thought it all through. I realised... that's a really hard way to make a living. Ones profit margin would be about as healthy as ones ability to convince customers that you work really hard (to make THEIR cutting board).

In that other thread about credibility running at the moment, people mention like 1% of people make it at trading (obviously that's an arbitrary random figure that in reality is probably worse)... I'm not entirely sure that's unique to trading though.. its reassuring to think about how other industries have it hard too :)
Emmson

There is a lesson for traders here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo6x4eulY9g

Dedication, Perseverance, Patience.
Derek27

Amazing how that top row toppled while the supporting rows stayed in place. Nice bird as well. :)
ShaunWhite

BBC1 are showing X+Y tonight. The film based on Daniel Lightwing's early life.
Crazyskier

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:28 pm
Nice one. Set to record as it's so late. Perhaps he's the new Jim Simons with his Castella Research... Tony Bloom is certainly watching with interest...

CS
ShaunWhite

Crazyskier wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:22 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:28 pm
Nice one. Set to record as it's so late. Perhaps he's the new Jim Simons with his Castella Research... Tony Bloom is certainly watching with interest...

CS
Years ago he was rumoured to be on 8 figures so I'm not sure if he's still doing it or found more interesting and important problems. Once you've earned all you need to be comfortable then looking for more becomes meaningless.
Realrocknrolla

Just about to tuck into Army of the Dead the new Netflix movie 🍿

Looks a good crack

Managed to get round to watching Rocketman. 9/10 for me. Don’t normally enjoy a musical. Geezer pulls it off.

Watched Series 1 of Innocent, decent also
Dallas

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:55 pm

Looks a good crack

Managed to get round to watching Rocketman. 9/10 for me. Don’t normally enjoy a musical. Geezer pulls it off.

I'm well behind the social curve but have recently started watching 2 episodes of the Crown every Friday night
Only up to S1E6 - Can't say its that gripping just yet but only another 30 or so to go to get to the good bits everyone has been talking about :)
Trader Pat

Dallas wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:26 pm
I'm well behind the social curve but have recently started watching 2 episodes of the Crown every Friday night
Only up to S1E6 - Can't say its that gripping just yet but only another 30 or so to go to get to the good bits everyone has been talking about :)
Not as far behind the curve as me... I only got round to watching Game of Thrones last year!
jamesg46

The Son(s) of Sam on the Netflix 👌
weemac

Behind the curve? I've never yet seen a single Star Wars film!

With my taste for late 60's to early 80's films and ancient TV sitcoms, I never thought I'd be interested in a more recent/modern show, but bought the Breaking Bad series on DVD and am pretty flabbergasted by just how gripping, well filmed, well scripted, well acted and thought-provoking it is. Just over half way through it, and now it's keeping me up till 3am every night like a meth addict who just needs another 'bump'.

It's in the Guinness Book of Records as the most critically acclaimed TV show ever. I can see why.
Crazyskier

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:55 pm

Looks a good crack

Just finished S2 of Innocent. Enjoyed a lot. 8/10. It's the same writer as Unforgotten, which I adore.

CS
gazuty

Dallas wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:26 pm
"Goodness" said in the voice of Claire Foy as QEII - it's just so superb, the subtle combination of shock, empathy and coldness.
alexmr2

weemac wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 10:22 pm
With my taste for late 60's to early 80's films and ancient TV sitcoms, I never thought I'd be interested in a more recent/modern show, but bought the Breaking Bad series on DVD and am pretty flabbergasted by just how gripping, well filmed, well scripted, well acted and thought-provoking it is. Just over half way through it, and now it's keeping me up till 3am every night like a meth addict who just needs another 'bump'.

It's in the Guinness Book of Records as the most critically acclaimed TV show ever. I can see why.
Great show, one of my favourites. When you finish it there's the prequel Better Call Saul which starts off a little slow but later on picks up to the same quality as Breaking Bad and has some of the same characters.

I always struggle to get into something new but there have been a few good recent series here and there. I'm also a fan of the older British sitcoms, not often do they make them as good as that any more

Return to “Chill Out Area”