Stuff to watch

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Euler

I'm not remotely religious, but I'm well aware that Politics and Religion and the cause of many circular arguments. I can see how Political debate can shape a trading market, not so sure on Religion!
Trader Pat

Euler wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:12 pm
I'm not remotely religious, but I'm well aware that Politics and Religion and the cause of many circular arguments. I can see how Political debate can shape a trading market, not so sure on Religion!
Like I said I think thinly veiled homophobia would have been a much more legitimate reason to lock the thread rather than somebody getting their knickers in a twist over a cartoon.

I didn't think we did but maybe we do need some forum rules about which topics are off limits. There have been plenty of interesting debates and threads that had nothing to do with trading or any markets and they weren't locked. I can only remember one thread in my time here that was locked and justifiably so.

I have to ask Peter would you have locked the thread if you hadn't been called out by name?
Euler

I wasn't even aware that I was called out by name?

I don't particularly have much involvement in moderation on a day to day basis as I've got so much on my plate, so it's typically not me that gets involved. The thread was locked to give people a bit of time out. 99.999999999% of stuff here is free and easy and we want to keep it that way where possible.
Trader Pat

I don't want to fall out with anybody over this so maybe I'll just keep religion out of my comments going forward.

Unless Betfair open a next Pope market of course!
jimibt

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:19 pm
I don't want to fall out with anybody over this so maybe I'll just keep religion out of my comments going forward.

keep yer eyes open, we'll if one popes up

i'll get me cassock!!
Derek27

Trader Pat wrote:

Dave Allen was asked by the BBC to keep religion out of his Christmas special!!

He said he would if he could, but obviously he couldn't. :D
Trader Pat

jimibt wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:26 pm
Trader Pat wrote:

keep yer eyes open, we'll if one popes up

i'll get me cassock!!
badum tish :D
Euler

Actually, that's a funny point. As I did trade the previous next pope market and it was a corker. Never have I been so excited to see some white smoke.

It was amusing to watch the 'two popes' a few years later and see what happened on the other side to bring in that 28/1 shot!
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:30 pm
Trader Pat wrote:

Dave Allen was asked by the BBC to keep religion out of his Christmas special!!

He said he would if he could, but obviously he couldn't. :D
My favourite thing about him was he managed to piss off the British and Irish at the same time :lol:
Trader Pat

Euler wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:36 pm
Actually, that's a funny point. As I did trade the previous next pope market and it was a corker. Never have I been so excited to see some white smoke.

It was amusing to watch the 'two popes' a few years later and see what happened on the other side to bring in that 28/1 shot!

As I was typing that I was trying to remember if there was a Next Pope market that time but there was and obviously I didn't trade it for some reason!

Must have been an interesting market to trade, can't imagine there was much info to go on about front runners etc... And doubt if there were any leaks especially seeing as though they were all in conclave :D
Euler

13-03-2013 Next pope.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ODPaul82

Euler wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:54 pm
13-03-2013 Next pope.png
Up and down like an altar boy...........
greenmark

TBH i could see the locked thread going off subject. Probably contributed to that, for which I apologise.
But perhaps there is a need for a religious discussion thread. Or is this like a dinner party. Certain subjects are too inflammatory. Religion, politics, law and order, capital punishment etc? Personally, I'm very disappointed with betangel for locking that thread over a cartoon. It puts me in mind of Charlie Hebdo.
jimibt was making a fair point. If your faith is as resilient as you believe, it was water of a ducks back!
arbitrage16

ODPaul82 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:37 pm
Euler wrote:
13-03-2013 Next pope.png
That made me laugh. Is your user name a Wu Tang reference?
ODPaul82

arbitrage16 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:33 am
ODPaul82 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:37 pm
Euler wrote:
13-03-2013 Next pope.png
That made me laugh. Is your user name a Wu Tang reference?
It's not, nickname I got multiple years ago from a friend. Stands for "One Dimensional Paul" due to having a perceived musical taste for only trance music and nothing else (which is a lie, I like all forms of excessively fast dance music plus synthwave and classical)

Return to “Chill Out Area”