Anyone read any good books?

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Euler

Always a good read 8-)
Dallas

Did that 4.9% stake in Goldman Sachs begin/come after the 2008 crash?
I seem to remember seeing somewhere Lloyd Blankfein called him personally to take a stake in it
Euler

It was during the crisis, Buffett could probably dictate terms to GS so got a cracking deal. As a shareholder, that's who you want managing your money.
Dallas

Thought so, and of course, he stood by his long term philosophy of buying in when everyone else was pulling out
Andriy

Horseracing pro-gambler Alan Potts has just written this on another forum; a free download of his memoirs is now available:

"When the idea of writing an autobigraphy was first suggested to me by a poster on the Betfair forum in 2010, I dismissed it out of hand, wanting nothing to do with either the chore of writing or the business of publishing.

Then late in 2017, I gave an interview to Simon Nott for his Star Sports blog and from the feedback that generated, I was prompted to think again. Now aged 71 (at the time of writing), I have more spare time than was the case ten years ago, so the chore looked less of an issue. And technology (or more relevantly, my understanding of it) has moved on to the point that I could keep what I wrote online and simply provide a link to any reader, eliminating the need to deal with a publisher, or even get involved in the aggro of self publishing.

So I decided to spend the winter of 2018/19 working on what follows, which is less an autobiography than a memoir of my involvement with racing and betting. It's a purely personal piece, written as much for my own amusement as for any specific readership. As such, it might or might not appeal to you, but at least it isn't going to involve a cash outlay before you can start reading.

The link is:

> http://bit.ly/2P6xHPu

You can read it as it appears, or download it using the arrow top right of the screen."
wearthefoxhat

Andriy wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:20 pm
Horseracing pro-gambler Alan Potts has just written this on another forum; a free download of his memoirs is now available:

"When the idea of writing an autobigraphy was first suggested to me by a poster on the Betfair forum in 2010, I dismissed it out of hand, wanting nothing to do with either the chore of writing or the business of publishing.

Then late in 2017, I gave an interview to Simon Nott for his Star Sports blog and from the feedback that generated, I was prompted to think again. Now aged 71 (at the time of writing), I have more spare time than was the case ten years ago, so the chore looked less of an issue. And technology (or more relevantly, my understanding of it) has moved on to the point that I could keep what I wrote online and simply provide a link to any reader, eliminating the need to deal with a publisher, or even get involved in the aggro of self publishing.

So I decided to spend the winter of 2018/19 working on what follows, which is less an autobiography than a memoir of my involvement with racing and betting. It's a purely personal piece, written as much for my own amusement as for any specific readership. As such, it might or might not appeal to you, but at least it isn't going to involve a cash outlay before you can start reading.

The link is:

> http://bit.ly/2P6xHPu

You can read it as it appears, or download it using the arrow top right of the screen."

Thanks. I recently read both his "old" books and enjoyed those, so will look forward to reading this too.
PeterLe

Matthew Syed has a new book out soon:-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rebel-Ideas-Po ... way&sr=8-4

Should be worth a listen
regards
Peter
PeterLe

I see that Malcolm Gladwell has a new book out, Talking to Strangers ,Which will be worth checking out
(I hope to be reading this and the Syed book on an upcoming holiday in November, so will report back)
Regards
Peter
PS: Talking about Talking to Strangers..I met Phil "The Power" Taylor on a train on Tuesday; what a really nice and genuine person he is.
eightbo

Speaking of Syed I've just added Bounce to my list
jamesg46

Living the wisdom of the toa (auto correct wanted to put toast :lol: )

Great listen and a huge eye opener for me personally, I've noticed so many horrible characteristics in my own personality, which seem to be natural in western society. I certainly couldn't see myself practicing Toaism but it gives some great insights into human behaviour from two very different cultures.
eightbo

jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:47 pm

Great listen and a huge eye opener for me personally, I've noticed so many horrible characteristics in my own personality, which seem to be natural in western society. I certainly couldn't see myself practicing Toaism but it gives some great insights into human behaviour from two very different cultures.
Thanks for sharing this. Managed to find the audiobook in full on YT and look forward to getting through it. (this one definitely goes in the "b4 bed" pile)

I think if you were to take up taoist philosophy you'd adopt the position that personalities cannot be "horrible"; instead they simply just are. Knowing they're a result of how things played out in the universe and accepting that. Sort of like if we rolled a dice twice we recognise the 6 is no different to the 1. The bitter old man is no different from the Saint. The universe is constantly in motion and as such accepting circumstances for what they are doesn't mean we're saying things will never change. They're changing all the time and if you want to work on certain parts of your personality I say more power to you. Once we understand the true nature of how things came to be, there's really no room for affliction to circumstance. Certainly not long-term anyway.
jamesg46

eightbo wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:00 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:47 pm

Thanks for sharing this. Managed to find the audiobook in full on YT and look forward to getting through it. (this one definitely goes in the "b4 bed" pile)

I think if you were to take up taoist philosophy you'd adopt the position that personalities cannot be "horrible"; instead they simply just are. Knowing they're a result of how things played out in the universe and accepting that. Sort of like if we rolled a dice twice we recognise the 6 is no different to the 1. The bitter old man is no different from the Saint. The universe is constantly in motion and as such accepting circumstances for what they are doesn't mean we're saying things will never change. They're changing all the time and if you want to work on certain parts of your personality I say more power to you. Once we understand the true nature of how things came to be, there's really no room for affliction to circumstance. Certainly not long-term anyway.
Thank you eightbo! This reply really will be digesting into my thoughts for some time. I don't want to spew a nonsense reply.
Rosado

Just started to read A Monk's Guide to A Clean House & Mind. Usually I don't like these kind of books but this has a lot of good tips.
carlevans

Chaos Unleashed (Author: Barry Hoffman)
PeterLe

I'm currently reading/listening to "The New Market Wizards"...and I Listened to the interview by William Eckhardt this morning. Although some of it went over my head, a lot of it resonated with me. (ill need to listen to it again!)
I think anyone who using automation will get something out of this. Recommended (Just for this one chapter if nothing else)
Regards
Peter

Return to “Chill Out Area”