Anyone read any good books?

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
gazuty

The Signal and the Noise. See my book review.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7040&p=55155&hilit=Silver#p55155
Last edited by gazuty on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iron

I've been reading this book, which is an interesting exploration of human cognitive biases: http://www.amazon.co.uk/You-are-Not-Sma ... 1851689397

Jeff
lord

Thinking Fast And Slow - Daniel Kahneman. It will change the way you think - and gives an insight into the way others think.
switesh

Poor Charlie's Almanack

Haven't read it yet, but got a copy of it and am looking forward to reading it.

Here's an amusing pic from the book :)

...and a wise quote:
"Capitalism works best when there is trust in the system." - Munger
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kalumpus

Any of the above mentioned great choices - I'd add 'Fooled by Randomness' The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets by Nassim Taleb. Also,'Thinking Fast and Slow' by Daniel Kahneman.
gazuty

I read this book back in 1996.

Warning - it made me want to quit my job and set out on my own.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0887308554
barlorca

Not a book but a quote from the Sage of Omaha, Warren Buffet, "Don't gamble, do your research, then you'll make money" :P
gazuty

Ferru123 wrote:I've been reading this book, which is an interesting exploration of human cognitive biases: http://www.amazon.co.uk/You-are-Not-Sma ... 1851689397

Jeff
Go through a fair bit of this book on the plane today.

I think Malcolm Gladwell extensively drew on a lot of this book in Blink. Although that could just be my cognitive bias at work.

Used my US Amazon kindle account to purchase. Looks like that is all coming to an end. I've received an email from Amazon warning me that they suspect me of living outside the United States and saying I need to send proof of residence within 90 days.
PeterLe

Just read : The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives
Kept my interest, and worth a read
PeterLe

Just re read "Who moved my cheese" - Spencer Johnson, very simplistic but effective at helping you deal with change..
Hermes

Just ordered Seth Godin's "Small is the new big" - I just love that guy's views. Though it's quite old , I have discovered it just recently.
teamlefty

Hermes wrote:Just ordered Seth Godin's "Small is the new big" - I just love that guy's views. Though it's quite old , I have discovered it just recently.
Seth Godin's books are really good.

I've read Tribes, Linchpin and Purple Cow. I got The Dip next in line.
Hermes

I have only read Lichpin so far, and loved it. Eventually I am going to read everything he has written.
redtra

Just started to read the excellent "Trading In The Zone" by Mark Douglas as I've seen it mentioned a few times here. Only a few chapters in, but I am puzzled by the reference to risk taking. He says it is very important and a key to becoming a good trader. By risk, is he referring to the possible loss if a trade goes wrong or a risk of something else?...still reading it but it is so good I was wondering if anyone else had a view?
superfrank

if i remember correctly he's talking about the acceptance of risk, i.e. mentally accepting (and being comfortable with) the risk (of loss) associated with placing any trade. good advice. many think they are comfortable with risk but their reactions to losing trades suggests they are not.

Return to “Chill Out Area”