Anyone read any good books?

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:29 am
jimibt wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:44 am
just started reading The Biggest Bluff: How I Learned to Pay Attention, Master Myself, and Win
Did you hear about her on More or Less? I was just catching up with it and heard a feature about her (aug 19th episode). Then I came here to post a quote from something else and saw your recommendation, bit of a coincidence.

That feature also had a great quote from Edward Gibbon 1750ish. One of the first people to apply probability to staking in card & dice games while others were still using the stars for guidance...

He said "the laws of probability, so true in general, so fallacous in particular". That should be lesson 1, day 1 of trading 101.

He was actually talking about what day he might die in the next 15yrs rather than horses at the time, but it holds true everywhere. Dying for him was probably a daily gamble if he was using maths to play cards while the others were using luck and the heavens :?
yes, it was on More or Less that I heard here. (these days., most of my book recommendations come from R4 -rock 'n roll :D).

there's some great stuff in the book and what I like in particular is that it's written as a story with a lot of the psychology stuff intermixed as part of the narrative. think you'll enjoy it. still only on the 1st third as pesky tasks have gotten in the way (yet again!).
bfc57

Got this after hearing her on More or Less, it’s a great read. I’m not so interested in poker (and I have skipped some of the pure poker stuff) but her thoughts on learning, discipline and psychology, are informative. Recommend.
StellaBot

Does PDF count?

I read this many moons ago

https://bura.brunel.ac.uk/bitstream/243 ... llText.pdf

Some interesting bits in there

EDIT
DO pdfs upload here?

Suppose if not, copy address to google?
Korattt

what I’m into at the moment, thought to myself as I’m surrounded by ‘em I may as well read up on ‘em..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sionascaig

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Among_the_Thugs

Worth a go if you haven't already.... The author joins up with "supporters" from various football teams and follows them on their travels. At one point he meets up with Nick Griffins at a NF disco.

Will need a strong stomach though...

"I was surprised by what I found; moreover, because I came away with a knowledge that I had not possessed before, I was also grateful, and surprised by that as well. I had not expected the violence to be so pleasurable....This is, if you like, the answer to the hundred-dollar question: why do young males riot every Saturday? They do it for the same reason that another generation drank too much, or smoked dope, or took hallucinogenic drugs, or behaved badly or rebelliously. Violence is their antisocial kick, their mind-altering experience, an adrenaline-induced euphoria that might be all the more powerful because it is generated by the body itself, with, I was convinced, many of the same addictive qualities that characterize synthetically-produced drugs."
eightbo

Thinking about getting more proactive with my reading in 2021.  This thread gonna make for a great starting point :ugeek:
superfrank

The Rational Male by Rollo Tomassi
NicholasKeeler

The Bourne Identity.
Grinderman

Read a couple this week. Never Lose An Argument by Arthur Koff and Living With Obesity by Hugh Jarse.
Miraluis

Sun Tzu - The Art of War. This book impressed me.
samsmith32

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People -- one of the most useful books that I read
jamesg46

Found this interesting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jamesg46 on Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JasBarrow

jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:05 pm
Woke up extra early this morning so I thought I'd kill some time with an audible. Really enjoyed this so far. Just someone who has made a book off the back of the original Thinking Fast, & Slow but I like the way things are told.

That does a disservice to the author. It was published before Thinking, Fast and Slow.
jamesg46

JasBarrow wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:36 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:05 pm
Woke up extra early this morning so I thought I'd kill some time with an audible. Really enjoyed this so far. Just someone who has made a book off the back of the original Thinking Fast, & Slow but I like the way things are told.

That does a disservice to the author. It was published before Thinking, Fast and Slow.
I do apologise. I'll edit it.
jamesg46

Really good book.

Return to “Chill Out Area”