Anyone read any good books?

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
PeterLe

Hi Shaun
Think we could rough it on £900K a day!
I read the Jim Simonds one too. What stuck me about him was that he had the same feelings as we do when running an automated program.
Ie at times when there were losses, he began to wonder if he should just 'tweak' it a little etc.
Id imagine this was even worse for him when he knew he was looking after hundreds of millions of pounds of other peoples money :D
Regards
Peter
ShaunWhite

PeterLe wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:13 pm
Ie at times when there were losses, he began to wonder if he should just 'tweak' it a little etc.
I've spent ages looking into this topic and it really does seem to be something that relies on experience and 'feel', even in this rarified world of hardcore mathematicians.
jamesg46

Another thought provoking listen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gazuty

jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:10 pm
Good recommendation, looks interesting.

Rik and Morty are good on this sort of thing to, a simulation inside a simulation of a simulation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJfsbhJY8gk
JGH

Morning everyone,this is my first post on the forum,hope you're all well,apologies if this book has been posted before,I'm in the middle of reading Grow Rich While You Sleep by Ben Sweetland,first published in 1962,so some of the wording is quite antiquated,and very American,but it's fascinating,the conscious and subconscious mind,and how to train yourself to let your subconscious find solutions.I would highly recommend it. :)
jamesg46

gazuty wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:46 am
jamesg46 wrote:
Good recommendation, looks interesting.

Rik and Morty are good on this sort of thing to, a simulation inside a simulation of a simulation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJfsbhJY8gk
Never watched any of them but I'll give it a go!
jamesg46

For the lists.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arbitrage16

gazuty wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:46 am
jamesg46 wrote:
I think the final episode of the most recent season is perhaps a high point for Rick and Morty, absolutely sublime. Succession is another recent masterpiece.
jimibt

just started reading The Biggest Bluff: How I Learned to Pay Attention, Master Myself, and Win

Fairly simple premise, take a NON poker player (who happens to be a psychologist) and prepare for the WSOP the following year:

Maria Konnikova had never actually played poker before and didn’t even know the rules when she approached Erik Seidel – Poker Hall of Fame inductee, winner of tens of millions of dollars in earnings – and asked him to be her mentor. She had faced a stretch of personal bad luck, and her reflections on the role of chance in her life had pointed her to poker as the ultimate master class in learning to distinguish what can be controlled and what can’t. Seidel was in, and soon Konnikova was down the rabbit hole with him, a journey that would lead her to the following year’s World Series of Poker.

A story that draws parallels on the life and game struggles of that journey.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1
ShaunWhite

jimibt wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:44 am
just started reading The Biggest Bluff: How I Learned to Pay Attention, Master Myself, and Win
Did you hear about her on More or Less? I was just catching up with it and heard a feature about her (aug 19th episode). Then I came here to post a quote from something else and saw your recommendation, bit of a coincidence.

That feature also had a great quote from Edward Gibbon 1750ish. One of the first people to apply probability to staking in card & dice games while others were still using the stars for guidance...

He said "the laws of probability, so true in general, so fallacous in particular". That should be lesson 1, day 1 of trading 101.

He was actually talking about what day he might die in the next 15yrs rather than horses at the time, but it holds true everywhere. Dying for him was probably a daily gamble if he was using maths to play cards while the others were using luck and the heavens :?
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:29 am
jimibt wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:44 am
Did you hear about her on More or Less? I was just catching up with it and heard a feature about her (aug 19th episode). Then I came here to post a quote from something else and saw your recommendation, bit of a coincidence.

That feature also had a great quote from Edward Gibbon 1750ish. One of the first people to apply probability to staking in card & dice games while others were still using the stars for guidance...

He said "the laws of probability, so true in general, so fallacous in particular". That should be lesson 1, day 1 of trading 101.

He was actually talking about what day he might die in the next 15yrs rather than horses at the time, but it holds true everywhere. Dying for him was probably a daily gamble if he was using maths to play cards while the others were using luck and the heavens :?
yes, it was on More or Less that I heard here. (these days., most of my book recommendations come from R4 -rock 'n roll :D).

there's some great stuff in the book and what I like in particular is that it's written as a story with a lot of the psychology stuff intermixed as part of the narrative. think you'll enjoy it. still only on the 1st third as pesky tasks have gotten in the way (yet again!).
bfc57

Got this after hearing her on More or Less, it’s a great read. I’m not so interested in poker (and I have skipped some of the pure poker stuff) but her thoughts on learning, discipline and psychology, are informative. Recommend.
StellaBot

Does PDF count?

I read this many moons ago

https://bura.brunel.ac.uk/bitstream/243 ... llText.pdf

Some interesting bits in there

EDIT
DO pdfs upload here?

Suppose if not, copy address to google?
Korattt

what I’m into at the moment, thought to myself as I’m surrounded by ‘em I may as well read up on ‘em..
sionascaig

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Among_the_Thugs

Worth a go if you haven't already.... The author joins up with "supporters" from various football teams and follows them on their travels. At one point he meets up with Nick Griffins at a NF disco.

Will need a strong stomach though...

"I was surprised by what I found; moreover, because I came away with a knowledge that I had not possessed before, I was also grateful, and surprised by that as well. I had not expected the violence to be so pleasurable....This is, if you like, the answer to the hundred-dollar question: why do young males riot every Saturday? They do it for the same reason that another generation drank too much, or smoked dope, or took hallucinogenic drugs, or behaved badly or rebelliously. Violence is their antisocial kick, their mind-altering experience, an adrenaline-induced euphoria that might be all the more powerful because it is generated by the body itself, with, I was convinced, many of the same addictive qualities that characterize synthetically-produced drugs."

Return to “Chill Out Area”