Combine P&L (or Matched bets) with Market result

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
PeterC

It's been a good few years of trying to make it in the City since my last post around 9 years ago and attempts to actually trade properly on BA!
Anyway, recent redundancy from my job of 20 years has now, once again, set me on the path of trying to become a successful trader

I'm currently trying out a strategy spreadsheet in Practise mode and would appreciate it if anyone had any knowledge of or ideas on how I can automate bringing in a market result into the Guardian inbuilt P&L report? Failing that, anything that touches on providing result details from within Guardian (or anywhere else) and exporting to Excel?
I'm quite proficient in Excel, VBA, macros, etc, but just looking for a nudge in the right direction to help me with recording market results for review at the end of the day

Many thanks
CallumPerry

Which sport(s) do you trade mate? Which markets also?
firlandsfarm

I would be interested in this thread, I raised this a while ago and I think the BA staff were going to see if the API transmitted the winner but heard nothing further. One thing you can try is to have a fictitious rule for Guardian attach a signal/SV to the log if a runner's price hits 1.01. Won't always be an exclusive post and sometimes the winner won't reach 1.01 but should pick up most. You then self investigate those it doesn't.
PeterC

CallumPerry wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:40 pm
Which sport(s) do you trade mate? Which markets also?
My main sport is football and particularly the over/under goals markets. To date this has been more of 'gamble' for me, and of course the curse of the law of probability means any gains from purple patches are soon wiped out by the inevitable losses, but that is another familiar story!

I asked the question with win markets on horse racing in mind @CallumPerry
PeterC

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:37 am
I would be interested in this thread, I raised this a while ago and I think the BA staff were going to see if the API transmitted the winner but heard nothing further. One thing you can try is to have a fictitious rule for Guardian attach a signal/SV to the log if a runner's price hits 1.01. Won't always be an exclusive post and sometimes the winner won't reach 1.01 but should pick up most. You then self investigate those it doesn't.
Thanks for your reply @firlandsfarm. Your comments are certainly ringing bells with me in that I guess there are undoubtedly ways of taking certain in-play indicators and using these to determine the winner - such as the price as you state.
I threw the question out there as I am hopeful that someone has something already in play that achieves this goal. Also, if this related to live trading, I could certainly pull up my own Betfair P&L (or transaction history) and manipulate this somehow. Not ideal but certainly something that I could use to populate a running spreadsheet. As I mention, I'm looking to test spreadsheet strategies in Practice mode so I will have no Betfair history to utilise

I also appreciate that there is almost 15 years of discussions on this forum, and it is likely that any questions I may have, have NOT already been touched on, but participating in online forums/chats/etc is not something I have done much of and if anyone has any tips on how best to search for topics I'm interested in, before posting my own, I'd be very grateful
CallumPerry

Hi mate,

As firlandsfarm has written, a lot of traders in the past have recommended looking out for 1.01 with automation which will sort 95%+ of what you want to do with a good amount of accuracy. You could also use:

https://www.betfairpromo.com/betfairsp/prices/index.php

For horse racing and greyhounds (updated the morning after the day's races daily). If you're good with VBA, you could match these quite easily. With regards to football, there are plenty of sites out there that collect data (soccerstats is fantastic) but none come to mind when thinking of somewhere that allows you to download the days data in a sensible format; truth be told I've not looked very hard yet as my current football bots aren't outcome dependant. I would also be interested if somebody suggests somewhere to use for downloadable football results.

In the meantime, hopefully that link and the looking out for 1.01 helps you out with your current question.
firlandsfarm

PeterC wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:59 am
I also appreciate that there is almost 15 years of discussions on this forum, and it is likely that any questions I may have, have NOT already been touched on, but participating in online forums/chats/etc is not something I have done much of and if anyone has any tips on how best to search for topics I'm interested in, before posting my own, I'd be very grateful
It's a problem for any successful forum and I haven't found the answer ... the more successful the forum the harder it is to find the answer to your question so you try a search or two and frankly after looking at the first few in the list you give up and pose the question as a new thread ... I admit I do! Sorry everyone but let he who has not done that cast the first stone!) Anyway, that then leads to forum bloat which exasperates the problem even more! As I said I don't know that answer. I suspect somewhere on the Internet there is an intelligent algorithm.
PeterC

CallumPerry wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:47 am
Hi mate,

As firlandsfarm has written, a lot of traders in the past have recommended looking out for 1.01 with automation which will sort 95%+ of what you want to do with a good amount of accuracy. You could also use:

https://www.betfairpromo.com/betfairsp/prices/index.php

For horse racing and greyhounds (updated the morning after the day's races daily). If you're good with VBA, you could match these quite easily. With regards to football, there are plenty of sites out there that collect data (soccerstats is fantastic) but none come to mind when thinking of somewhere that allows you to download the days data in a sensible format; truth be told I've not looked very hard yet as my current football bots aren't outcome dependant. I would also be interested if somebody suggests somewhere to use for downloadable football results.

In the meantime, hopefully that link and the looking out for 1.01 helps you out with your current question.
That's a fantastic resource mate, very much appreciated!.It will definitely give me a springboard to consolidating my BA reports

Top man!
PeterC

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:59 am
PeterC wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:59 am
It's a problem for any successful forum and I haven't found the answer ... the more successful the forum the harder it is to find the answer to your question so you try a search or two and frankly after looking at the first few in the list you give up and pose the question as a new thread ... I admit I do! Sorry everyone but let he who has not done that cast the first stone!) Anyway, that then leads to forum bloat which exasperates the problem even more! As I said I don't know that answer. I suspect somewhere on the Internet there is an intelligent algorithm.
I of course meant to say that my questions may HAVE already been addressed in previous posts - apologies for any confusion.
Completely understood about giving up the ghost on searches, especially when you are trying to process dozens of issues at the same time (I tend to find I don't know which one to pursue or prioritise) but on the positive side when I get my teeth into a specific quest I will find the answer or solution...eventually :)

I appreciate your engagement on this and, and also your views. many thanks

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”