Connecting directly to .xlsm file

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
azerjafarov

Hi everyone,

A newbie question that might be quite obvious for some of you but I am really struggling to understand what exactly I am doing wrong here.

If I load and connect the BetAngel_1.xls file to Bet Angel, everything works flawlessly. In my next step I open a random .xls file to run some calculations and this is why I refer to certain cells within the BetAngel_1.xls file. Just to give you an example: in my random .xls file if I go to cell A1 and then refer to the back price in G9 from BetAngel_1.xls file, I can see ='[BetAngel_1.xls]Bet Angel'!$G$9 in cell A1. Once I press the Enter button, I can see the back price in A1 and how it starts changing.

However, if I run the same procedure and open an .xlsm file that contains a very simple VBA macro, Excel refuses to build the connection between BetAngel_1.xls and my .xlsm file. In fact, it doesn't even allow me to select anything from the BetAngel_1.xls file.

Please can someone help? If there are any alternative ways of getting connected to an .xlsm file and my logic is wrong, please let me know what the steps are.

Thanks!
Anbell

azerjafarov wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:42 am
Hi everyone,

A newbie question that might be quite obvious for some of you but I am really struggling to understand what exactly I am doing wrong here.

If I load and connect the BetAngel_1.xls file to Bet Angel, everything works flawlessly. In my next step I open a random .xls file to run some calculations and this is why I refer to certain cells within the BetAngel_1.xls file. Just to give you an example: in my random .xls file if I go to cell A1 and then refer to the back price in G9 from BetAngel_1.xls file, I can see ='[BetAngel_1.xls]Bet Angel'!$G$9 in cell A1. Once I press the Enter button, I can see the back price in A1 and how it starts changing.

However, if I run the same procedure and open an .xlsm file that contains a very simple VBA macro, Excel refuses to build the connection between BetAngel_1.xls and my .xlsm file. In fact, it doesn't even allow me to select anything from the BetAngel_1.xls file.

Please can someone help? If there are any alternative ways of getting connected to an .xlsm file and my logic is wrong, please let me know what the steps are.

Thanks!
If you open an 'instance' of excel via BA, and then open another instance of excel normally, they wont bridge.

I think the following will solve your problem: Open excel via BA, and then on that spreadsheet, go FILE>OPEN and find your file with the VBA
wasp

It would probably be easiest just to copy the VBA Module from your separate workbook into the Bet Angel workbook and resave the Bet Angel workbook as an .xslm file so it will work with macros. Then you can do everything from the one file.
azerjafarov

I have copied the module into the Bet Angel workbook, so it now works.

Thanks everyone!

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”