Timing of bets in Excel Automation

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
bigpapaperry

How do i stop my bets going in until 10 seconds before race time start?
Normal baf files in automation gives you the option but cannot for the life of me work out this in excel and would appreciate and help or pointers in the right direction.
This is me venturing into the world of excel which should save me time linking everything together as i do all my working out in other excel sheets

thank you
ODPaul82

You could do the following, in any cell that's not going to be overwritten by BA (for example Z1) put in the following
=IF(NOT(ISNUMBER($F$4)), FALSE, IF($F$4<=TIME(0,0,10), TRUE, FALSE))

Then in your bet cells (i.e. L9) have =IF(Z1, "BACK", "")

The isnumber checks to see whether the timer has a negative value as once a race moves into past post time it appens a negative symbol onto the time but Excel doesn't recognise it as a time so would throw an error. Otherwise it just checks to see if the timer is less than or equal to 10 seconds.
bigpapaperry

Thank you works a treat :) :)
firlandsfarm

ODPaul82 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:48 am
You could do the following, in any cell that's not going to be overwritten by BA (for example Z1) put in the following
=IF(NOT(ISNUMBER($F$4)), FALSE, IF($F$4<=TIME(0,0,10), TRUE, FALSE))

Then in your bet cells (i.e. L9) have =IF(Z1, "BACK", "")

The isnumber checks to see whether the timer has a negative value as once a race moves into past post time it appens a negative symbol onto the time but Excel doesn't recognise it as a time so would throw an error. Otherwise it just checks to see if the timer is less than or equal to 10 seconds.
Thanks ODPaul82 I have had trouble with negative times, never thought of ISNUMBER()! Interested in your double negative use though ... could you not also use =IF(ISNUMBER($F$4)), IF($F$4<=TIME(0,0,10), TRUE, FALSE), FALSE), does that lose something?
ODPaul82

firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:56 am
Thanks ODPaul82 I have had trouble with negative times, never thought of ISNUMBER()! Interested in your double negative use though ... could you not also use =IF(ISNUMBER($F$4)), IF($F$4<=TIME(0,0,10), TRUE, FALSE), FALSE), does that lose something?
No problem, as with most systems dates/times are stored as numbers internally.
You don't lose anything doing that approach, it's just habit for me to do it that way around.

In theory it could also be written as the following as an If statement automatically returns true or false dependent on the condition check
=IF(ISNUMBER($F$4),IF($F$4<=TIME(0,0,10),,))
firlandsfarm

ODPaul82 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:18 am
firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:56 am
No problem, as with most systems dates/times are stored as numbers internally.
You don't lose anything doing that approach, it's just habit for me to do it that way around.

In theory it could also be written as the following as an If statement automatically returns true or false dependent on the condition check
=IF(ISNUMBER($F$4),IF($F$4<=TIME(0,0,10),,))
Agreed, I left the TRUE/FALSE in just for clarity.

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”