Pro trader my arse

A place to discuss anything.
MobiusGrey

https://clickbait.com/betdaq-ban-winners/

Just like to point out that this article alludes to Betdaq banning anyone that wins and that how it's not really an exchange at all because of these practices.

If you actually read the twitter thread where this information came from the initial poster wasn't banned at all because of 'winning' but was in fact caught up in some dodgy money being matched and the whole thing was resolved quite quickly.

Still that's not good for clicks though is it.
LinusP

MobiusGrey wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:20 pm

Just like to point out that this article alludes to Betdaq banning anyone that wins and that how it's not really an exchange at all because of these practices.

If you actually read the twitter thread where this information came from the initial poster wasn't banned at all because of 'winning' but was in fact caught up in some dodgy money being matched and the whole thing was resolved quite quickly.

Still that's not good for clicks though is it.
I am banned from XSP and they are very quiet about the equivalent PC but compared to smarkets they are pretty good.
verance

Betdaq do ban some from XSP and also some obscure football markets but there's no systematic winner banning.

Better than Smarkets and Matchbook, and a decent alternative to Betfair if you can handle less liquidity.

Interesting article from Betdaq Managing Director here: https://egr.global/intel/opinion/when-i ... -exchange/
jamesg46

verance wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:50 pm
Betdaq do ban some from XSP and also some obscure football markets but there's no systematic winner banning.

Better than Smarkets and Matchbook, and a decent alternative to Betfair if you can handle less liquidity.

Interesting article from Betdaq Managing Director here: https://egr.global/intel/opinion/when-i ... -exchange/
So, they ban people like Linus at random? Of course it's systematic.... I can imagine the directors getting together and saying "you know what boys, lets just ban random people who provide money to the exchange for shits & giggles".
jamesg46

I'd guess that Linus takes far too much profit out for very little input (relatively) in terms of flowing liquidity. They're not interested in his business which begs the question, were they taking his bets because liquidity is so low.
verance

jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:18 pm
So, they ban people like Linus at random? Of course it's systematic.... I can imagine the directors getting together and saying "you know what boys, lets just ban random people who provide money to the exchange for shits & giggles".
What I meant by that was that they don't ban people just for being winners, the vast majority of winners are fine.

They say themselves in that article that they do 6% of the volume on the exchange, so the issue arises if you are winning off them on that 6% and not providing liquidity elsewhere.
LeTiss

I suspect one of the things that may trigger Betdaq banning people, is when you are regularly having success backing selections, where their market makers have taken hits, but you've offered very little liquidity in return by providing lay offsets, leaving them exposed
jamesg46

verance wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:07 am
jamesg46 wrote:
What I meant by that was that they don't ban people just for being winners, the vast majority of winners are fine.

They say themselves in that article that they do 6% of the volume on the exchange, so the issue arises if you are winning off them on that 6% and not providing liquidity elsewhere.
Yeah, makes sense now. I'm not exactly sure what Linus was doing but he's obviously smart enough to have been taking money from their pocket.
napshnap

verance wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:

Why does gambling commission close eyes on that?! This is way more serious than bfs "crossmatcher" stuff.
verance

jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:44 am
Yeah, makes sense now. I'm not exactly sure what Linus was doing but he's obviously smart enough to have been taking money from their pocket.
I think Linus is only banned from XSP? That was after making 7k in a month betting on 90% of runners at XSP with no other bets in the market.

They're fairly open that they provide the SP liquidity and will ban anyone that "manipulates" this:
https://betdaq.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/art ... ing-Price-
verance

napshnap wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:48 am
verance wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:

Why does gambling commission close eyes on that?! This is way more serious than bfs "crossmatcher" stuff.
All exchanges provide liquidity, Smarkets are up to 90%!
jamesg46

verance wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:52 am
jamesg46 wrote:
I think Linus is only banned from XSP? That was after making 7k in a month betting on 90% of runners at XSP with no other bets in the market.

They're fairly open that they provide the SP liquidity and will ban anyone that "manipulates" this:
Yeah, that's what he said, just XSP & it makes sense why now that you've explained what he was doing....
Euler

That original article by Caan was just another bit of sensationalist SEO clickbait, fair enough, that seems to be the way of the internet. Though I suggest not a way to gain credibility. The tactic is simple to understand, find a topic that has a high hitting keyword, say something controversial and boom, good or bad, people will talk about, share and link to it, Q.E.D.

I actually prodded Betdaq after speaking to Lee, as I didn't think there was anything that should cause an issue for him, so I'm glad it was all sorted.

Of course, Betdaq don't ban winners per se. I signed up to Betdaq in 2008 after Betfair introduced the first PC and I've made good money with them now for 13 years and not a whiff of disapproval.

All exchanges seed markets, some much more than others. Betfair seed early racing markets in case you were unaware. Where seeding takes place then it's perfectly possible to exploit it and both Liam and I have seen this many times I'm sure.

But if you do exploit it, you will get slapped wrists. My understanding of XSP is that to balance the SP Betdaq do take some liability, so it's a very soft version of seeding. I think their SP is much better that Betfair's as its difficult to manipulate. So I'm all for this as it allows me trade there right to the off.

There is still an exploit available on Betfair that you can use to make money, but if you do they will ban you as it's not in the spirit of the exchange or make any commercial sense. So there will always be rules surrounding this sort of behaviour.
Euler

verance wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:52 am
jamesg46 wrote:

I was going to link to that, but you beat me to it.
Archery1969

Euler wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:37 am
That original article by Caan was just another bit of sensationalist SEO clickbait, fair enough, that seems to be the way of the internet. Though I suggest not a way to gain credibility. The tactic is simple to understand, find a topic that has a high hitting keyword, say something controversial and boom, good or bad, people will talk about, share and link to it, Q.E.D.

I actually prodded Betdaq after speaking to Lee, as I didn't think there was anything that should cause an issue for him, so I'm glad it was all sorted.

Of course, Betdaq don't ban winners per se. I signed up to Betdaq in 2008 after Betfair introduced the first PC and I've made good money with them now for 13 years and not a whiff of disapproval.

All exchanges seed markets, some much more than others. Betfair seed early racing markets in case you were unaware. Where seeding takes place then it's perfectly possible to exploit it and both Liam and I have seen this many times I'm sure.

But if you do exploit it, you will get slapped wrists. My understanding of XSP is that to balance the SP Betdaq do take some liability, so it's a very soft version of seeding. I think their SP is much better that Betfair's as its difficult to manipulate. So I'm all for this as it allows me trade there right to the off.

There is still an exploit available on Betfair that you can use to make money, but if you do they will ban you as it's not in the spirit of the exchange or make any commercial sense. So there will always be rules surrounding this sort of behaviour.
Hi Peter, Whats the exploit on Betfair ? :D

Return to “General discussion”