Football match Pressure metric

A place to discuss anything.
britguy

Slightly off topic but I have been watching a youtube video showing a football match scanner that has a metric called "Pressure Index" which they are plugging as a useful imminent goal predictor. I was pondering their definition for it and cant decide if their parameter is dumb or I am being dumb in interpreting it. Probably the latter I know :D They define it as :

Pressure Index uses data from the last 10 minutes. It is highlighted when the sum of home and away PI is greater than 70 or higher

Calculations
---------------------
Each Shot On Target = 10 Points
Each Shot Off Target = 10 Points
Each 5% of possession = 1 point

Does the possession parameter make any sense ? Surely the home and away possession percent will add up to 100 at all times, so will contribute 100% = 100/5 = 20 points all the time, regardless of it they take the figure now or 10 mins ago or average it ?

At least It got me thinking of what a good metric would be for determining pressure in a match. Has anyone done any work on this or wants to speculate on some possible algorithms for this. I would be interested in further thoughts

Regards Geoff
darchas

Sofascore's attack momentum is not a bad representation of pressure in a match. The challenge with all these things is around quality - quality of possession and intent, quality of shot etc. The other crucial thing is about the odds, just a view of the likelihood of a goal is not to say that the odds on offer are value in that respect.

Return to “General discussion”