RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:02 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:16 pm
Cab drivers that spend the entire journey talking about a holiday they had.....40 years ago!!!
Remember getting a black cab from Euston to Deptford. Back then it was just over £10. Gave him a £20 and he took off with my change. Some taxi drivers are pretty reprehensible. Which defines humanity in general.
Some are good, some aren't.
I'll forgive him because he was 79 years old and a retired car spray painter, but it doesn't say much about his more recent holidays. :lol:

But actually, he only spent half the time talking about his holiday and the rest of the time it was spray painting. If you need to know the difference between water-based, synthetic or acrylic spray paint, I'm the man to ask now. ;)
greenmark

Fair play to him. The chances of me sustaining a job as a taxi driver at 79 are remote.
Derek27

Carbon-neutral eggs, £3.55 a box!!!
greenmark

Made the mistake of watching Question Time.
I never want to punch people as much as I do watching this program.
It's like democracy with your hands tied. AAAAAARRRRGGHHHH!
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:16 pm
Made the mistake of watching Question Time.
I never want to punch people as much as I do watching this program.
It's like democracy with your hands tied. AAAAAARRRRGGHHHH!
Are you talking about one of the panellists or a member of the audience?

I record it every week and watch it when I've got time. I'm generally more forgiving of the arses in the audience, they're not required to have brains to attend, and the arses on the panel usually get put in their place by both, panel and audience. My favourite part of late is when the Conservative arse on the panel makes a desperate attempt to defend Johnson or Truss and the audience burst out laughing, in a way any standup comedian would envy. :D
greenmark

In this case it was both panelists and audience on the Lady Hussey racism accusation.
From memory ony one audience member defended her.

Fulani has made a right meal of this issue IMO. Taking offence over a polite enquiry about her background.
In her media ranting on the incident she describes it as tantamount to a violent attack and in the same breath "I'm very proud of my African heritage".
Well, very good and she should be, but why didn't she simply say that at the time? Problem solved. Enquiry answered and African heritage trumpeted loud and proud.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:41 am
In this case it was both panelists and audience on the Lady Hussey racism accusation.

Fulani has made a right meal of this issue IMO. Taking offence over a polite enquiry about her background.
In her media ranting on the incident she describes it as tantamount to a violent attack and in the same breath "I'm very proud of my African heritage".
Well, very good and she should be, but why didn't she simply say that at the time? Problem solved. Enquiry answered and African heritage trumpeted loud and proud.
Personally, I don't think it was racist, just ignorance and lack of social skills outside of her usual circle. If she asked me where I was from, I would simply have taken the question as it was intended and said India or Goa and that would have been the end of it. I'm more forgiving of people of that age who will never understand political correctness but asking her what nationality she is was pretty stupid, especially when she's got a London accent. Asking where somebody originates from would be a better way to word the question.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:21 pm
greenmark wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:41 am

Personally, I don't think it was racist, just ignorance and lack of social skills outside of her usual circle. If she asked me where I was from, I would simply have taken the question as it was intended and said India or Goa and that would have been the end of it. I'm more forgiving of people of that age who will never understand political correctness but asking her what nationality she is was pretty stupid, especially when she's got a London accent. Asking where somebody originates from would be a better way to word the question.
Well put.
One side of my family hail from Sri Lanka (we think), but skin colour does provoke either curiosity or hostility. Not dismissing the fact that racism still is very present, but in this context it's such an easy target and feeds into "woke" and "cancel culture". Fulani has succesfully removed Hussey from her role. It's all a bit feeble and smells of self-publicising.
greenmark

Elnaz Rekabi: Family home of Iranian climber demolished
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-63847173

If true, it's just as well it happened after their exit from WC 22.

Blimey. Have your home destroyed for a spurious error of clothing. If I walked down the road nude, I would be arrested and fined. I don't think I'd have my home demolished.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:09 am

Blimey. Have your home destroyed for a spurious error of clothing. If I walked down the road nude, I would be arrested and fined. I don't think I'd have my home demolished.
The houses belonging to Fred West, Ian Huntley and other notorious people who committed atrocities within the house have been demolished, and even the rubble gets destroyed or dumped secretively to prevent trophy hunters. But if homes were demolished over here for trying to get into a nightclub wearing jeans and trainers they'd be a lot of homeless people!

I dread to think of what will happen to their footballers who didn't sing the national anthem!
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:45 am
greenmark wrote:

The houses belonging to Fred West, Ian Huntley and other notorious people who committed atrocities within the house have been demolished, and even the rubble gets destroyed or dumped secretively to prevent trophy hunters. But if homes were demolished over here for trying to get into a nightclub wearing jeans and trainers they'd be a lot of homeless people!

I dread to think of what will happen to their footballers who didn't sing the national anthem!
Don't misunerderstand me. I have no issue at all with religion or culture or national idendity (not sure about about that last one) but destroying someone's home on the basis of a breach of clothing rules is ridiculous and defines the regime as idiotic. Any society that subjugates women cannot be right.
Surely?
Am I wrong?
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:06 am
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:45 am
greenmark wrote:

Don't misunerderstand me. I have no issue at all with religion or culture or national idendity (not sure about about that last one) but destroying someone's home on the basis of a breach of clothing rules is ridiculous and defines the regime as idiotic. Any society that subjugates women cannot be right.
Surely?
Am I wrong?
No, I was agreeing with you.
greenmark

Yes, I knew that. It was a rhetorical question. Apologies for obscuring my meaning. :D
Derek27

Cold snap in the forecast and the usual advice from the government.

Heat your living room!

Heat your bedroom before you go to bed!

Put on a jumper!

Wrap up warm before you go out!

:roll: :roll:
Derek27

It's okay for a Sky News reporter to mention "camel's penis" or "sheep's vagina" but if an interviewee uses the word "shit", they get scolded and the viewers get an apology for bad language!!

And then she says she won't go further in case people are eating their tea!!

Return to “General discussion”