RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

Crazyskier wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:04 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:42 pm
The Queen should not be allowed to carry a sword, never mind cut a cake with it!! It's an illegal and dangerous weapon and she doesn't look safe with it.
Do you not understand the irony here, Derek?

Her ancestors MADE the common laws of England, as she still does to some degree. Who are you to criticise your Monarch? You'd have been beheaded for such criticisms only a few centuries ago!

CS
If the Queen is my monarch and I am her subject, then she is my slave, for I've just redefined the word slave to mean everybody in the world except me, and defined my subjects as belonging to me, so you're one of my subjects as well. :)

Do you not understand that words like "subject" have zero meaning unless she actually has power over her subjects?

The reason why I posted that comment, it was mainly a joke, but watching her slicing a cake with a sword while younger people were advising her to use a smaller sharp instrument reminded me of my mother (who sadly is in a care home suffering from Alzheimer's). Although the Queen is a bit older than my mother and thankfully is in good health mentally and physically, I can see striking resemblance between the two and the way the Queen's ageing. The big difference is the Queen will still have to represent the country at a time when her advisers may need to tell her not to use an axe to slice her rump stake!

I have much respect for the Queen as a person but I think it's high time she steps down and the public step up and scrap the monarchy, which has absolutely no place in the 21st century.
Derek27

Crazyskier wrote:
You'd have been beheaded for such criticisms only a few centuries ago!
I'd probably have been hung, drawn and quartered a few centuries ago, with you in the front row (with your Christian crucifix around your neck). I'm not sure what they did with homosexuals in those days. Whatever it was, you'd obviously have loved living in that century, but the reality is we're in the 21st - you need to update yourself!
alexmr2

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:01 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
with your Christian crucifix around your neck
Some of us believe in the immune system that God gave us over the forbidden fruit that the snake (WHO logo) is trying to tempt us with
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Crazyskier wrote:
I'm not sure what they did with homosexuals in those days.
Probably made them Cardinals
Derek27

alexmr2 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:09 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Crazyskier wrote:
with your Christian crucifix around your neck
Some of us believe in the immune system that God gave us over the forbidden fruit that the snake (WHO logo) is trying to tempt us with
What the fuck has that comment got to do with the Queen, the monarchy, Christianity, homosexuality or anything else we were discussing???

Don't flipping say Christian - God - immune system (that he's given us) - snake (as a reference to the bible) - WHO logo!
greenmark

Anyone had a thundeestorm yet? Full day of warnings, blue sky across the board. Wankers!
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:01 pm
Anyone had a thundeestorm yet? Full day of warnings, blue sky across the board. Wankers!
Don't know where you live, I'm in Norfolk, took the day off trading to enjoy the sunshine. Was a bit annoyed at midday that there was a bit of cloud in the sky but it's been more or less unbroken sunshine for the rest of the afternoon, though not that hot.

Radar suggests the thunderstorms are about to hit big time. No complaints at my end, enjoyed the sunshine, garden needs watering and waterbutt needs refilling. :P
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Wankers!
The rain's started to fall now. :)

There are a lot of people I call wankers, despite being one myself ;) , but the MET office will never get the credit they deserve. Instead of looking at the local weather for your region, look at the pressure chart for the next 48 hours. With all the gadgets and information we've got on our smartphones, including bang up to date radar, the only excuse for being caught out by the weather is being too pissed to keep up to date with it. :)
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
You should spend more time in the beer garden. I advised you about the weather. :)
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:20 am
Tomorrow's the last chance to enjoy hot and sunny weather. Then it's back to the typical British summer. :(
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:43 am
greenmark wrote:
You should spend more time in the beer garden. I advised you about the weather. :)
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:20 am
Tomorrow's the last chance to enjoy hot and sunny weather. Then it's back to the typical British summer. :(
Yellow warnngs removed for today (despite it looking very gloomy out there). Tomorrow afternoon's radar looks foul so we shall see.
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:53 pm
... the monarchy, which has absolutely no place in the 21st century.
On what do you base that?
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:58 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:53 pm
... the monarchy, which has absolutely no place in the 21st century.
On what do you base that?
Common sense, the same basis that we no longer burn women accused of witchcraft.

Do you think BJ's son should automatically become PM and rule the nation? Do you think Prince Andrew, if he ever became king, should be above the law and immune to prosecution?
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:01 pm
Common sense, the same basis that we no longer burn women accused of witchcraft.

Do you think BJ's son should automatically become PM and rule the nation? Do you think Prince Andrew, if he ever became king, should be above the law and immune to prosecution?
I call it more like envy and jealousy for we are never equal ... we are all born into unequal environments and remain unequal until death. That's why communism fails, it's impossible to achieve.

I can see no connection between the issue of an elected official and the monarchy, they are on completely different career paths. I see our monarchy as the greatest ambassadors of any country in the world and cannot see why some should want to throw away that advantage though I agree it's a very British thing to do ... it's unsporting to take advantage of your advantage. The monarchy does nobody harm, indeed they further our role in the world and by doing so they benefit everyone in the UK.

We have inherited one of the most respected and greatest political and ambassadorial assets in the world working for us and all some want to do is throw it away but I guess that we have goes against the thinking of those wanting to ban the principle of inheritance.

I assume as you are so against the principle of inheritance you would agree with the whole of your estate going to charity or the state on your demise? :)
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:49 am
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:01 pm

I call it more like envy and jealousy for we are never equal ... we are all born into unequal environments and remain unequal until death. That's why communism fails, it's impossible to achieve.

I can see no connection between the issue of an elected official and the monarchy, they are on completely different career paths. I see our monarchy as the greatest ambassadors of any country in the world and cannot see why some should want to throw away that advantage though I agree it's a very British thing to do ... it's unsporting to take advantage of your advantage. The monarchy does nobody harm, indeed they further our role in the world and by doing so they benefit everyone in the UK.

We have inherited one of the most respected and greatest political and ambassadorial assets in the world working for us and all some want to do is throw it away but I guess that we have goes against the thinking of those wanting to ban the principle of inheritance.

I assume as you are so against the principle of inheritance you would agree with the whole of your estate going to charity or the state on your demise? :)
People who are jealous of the royals are only looking at the money and not the endless events/tours, privacy issues, etc. The monarchy has done plenty of harm. The Duke of Edinburgh ran somebody over with his car, whilst not legally immune to prosecution he wouldn't have had the same fear of the law as ordinary people, and didn't Queen Mary burn hundreds of protestants at the stake?

You're pretty narrow-minded if you can't understand why people want to get rid of it. If you're going to represent the country you get elected, you don't inherit positions like that. I just wish Prince Andrew was the oldest and became the next king. That would highlight how pathetic and outdated the setup is.
alexmr2

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:28 pm
flipping cat threw up all over my shoes by the foot of my bed shortly after I jumped into bed last night. Then she buggers off to the living room and leaves me with the smell all night!!

I'll at least credit her for jumping off the bed before chucking up.
I would say that's your fault for feeding her too much or something that induced the nausea

Return to “General discussion”