RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

Went to Aldi, had to buy a pack of cheap larger - no Heienkin, Carlsburg or Stella. I was considering buying what looks like a frozen Big Mac that you make yourself and microwave but after a few seconds I came to my senses and put it back. :D

Mrs Brown's Boys is about as funny as Last of the Summer Wine, and that had an audience of elderly people. The Big Bang Theory strikes me as aimed at teenagers, it was on Saturday mornings.
darchas

Never watched big bang theory myself and the only person I know that is into it is my 60 year old father in law!

Having said this I saw Kaley Cuoco in something recently and found out she's also in big bang theory, so that could be a temptation for me to try it out :lol:
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:45 pm
Mrs Brown's Boys is about as funny as Last of the Summer Wine, and that had an audience of elderly people.

As an Irishman I take great offence to that Derek....

Last of the summer wine was infinitely funnier than Mrs Browns Boys!
Kai

darchas wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:49 pm
Never watched big bang theory myself and the only person I know that is into it is my 60 year old father in law!

Having said this I saw Kaley Cuoco in something recently and found out she's also in big bang theory, so that could be a temptation for me to try it out :lol:
Kaley caught my eye ages ago in a show called "8 Simple Rules... for Dating My Teenage Daughter". Big Bang Theory is nerdy AF but good if you like laughing at social awkwardness. Jim Parsons carries the show, man is nothing short of a genius, Kaley is there to bring in a more casual audience :)
Derek27

Why can't Whiskers flipping warn you when they've changed their ingredients?? Carlsberg wouldn't get away with filling their cans with bitter and hoping nobody notices. Do they think cats and their owners are stupid?
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:56 pm
Why can't Whiskers flipping warn you when they've changed their ingredients?? Carlsberg wouldn't get away with filling their cans with bitter and hoping nobody notices. Do they think cats and their owners are stupid?
Bit slow to pass this on. Hope it helps catty folk.
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... AfoPwEfO5U
alexmr2

Only recently got round to finishing the Big Bang theory, it was a long slog. It started great over a decade ago and actually helped to inspire me to study engineering at university but it went on a bit too long and it was the same old thing. It felt like it went from science to an alternative Friends in the end.

I found Mrs Brown's Boys hilarious when it first came out but again the last few years are well past its bell curve so I didn't even bother with the recent ones.

I think the1970s - early 2000s had the best sitcoms (Only Fools, Father Ted, Still Game, Victor Meldrew, Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Red Dwarf) there aren't many decent modern ones. Still need to get round to watching Dad's Army or Porridge
darchas

alexmr2 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:39 pm
Only recently got round to finishing the Big Bang theory, it was a long slog. It started great over a decade ago and actually helped to inspire me to study engineering at university but it went on a bit too long and it was the same old thing. It felt like it went from science to an alternative Friends in the end.

I found Mrs Brown's Boys hilarious when it first came out but again the last few years are well past its bell curve so I didn't even bother with the recent ones.

I think the1970s - early 2000s had the best sitcoms (Only Fools, Father Ted, Still Game, Victor Meldrew, Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Red Dwarf) there aren't many decent modern ones. Still need to get round to watching Dad's Army or Porridge
Peep Show, The Office, Inbetweeners, all the Partridge stuff are my favourite modern comedies.
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:42 pm
Cats throw up due to hot weather, eating moths, furballs, etc. It's not what you feed them.
At last something we can agree on! :lol:
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:14 pm
People who are jealous of the royals are only looking at the money and not the endless events/tours, privacy issues, etc. The monarchy has done plenty of harm. The Duke of Edinburgh ran somebody over with his car, whilst not legally immune to prosecution he wouldn't have had the same fear of the law as ordinary people, and didn't Queen Mary burn hundreds of protestants at the stake?

You're pretty narrow-minded if you can't understand why people want to get rid of it. If you're going to represent the country you get elected, you don't inherit positions like that. I just wish Prince Andrew was the oldest and became the next king. That would highlight how pathetic and outdated the setup is.
And as something else to agree on maybe we can agree that we have differing opinions on the Monarchy!

If you go back far enough you can find something 'wrong' in every past ... I bet one of your direct ancestors killed someone in the past, should I protest that you are locked up for that. If you must judge the Monarchy at least do so based on the current Monarchy and not what a queen did hundreds of years ago (and let's not be dragged into Oliver Cromwell and his bunch of thugs).

So is the DofE the only person to have had a car accident and not been charged? Note: he faced up to his responsibilities immediately after that and stopped driving ... can you say that of all others who have caused a car accident?

Well maybe you are equally narrow-minded if you can't understand why people want to retain the Monarchy! So on that point let's both agree to disagree and accept that we are both narrow-minded. ;)
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:45 pm
Went to Aldi ... no Heienkin, Carlsburg ...
You should be grateful! :lol:
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:10 am
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:14 pm
People who are jealous of the royals are only looking at the money and not the endless events/tours, privacy issues, etc. The monarchy has done plenty of harm. The Duke of Edinburgh ran somebody over with his car, whilst not legally immune to prosecution he wouldn't have had the same fear of the law as ordinary people, and didn't Queen Mary burn hundreds of protestants at the stake?

You're pretty narrow-minded if you can't understand why people want to get rid of it. If you're going to represent the country you get elected, you don't inherit positions like that. I just wish Prince Andrew was the oldest and became the next king. That would highlight how pathetic and outdated the setup is.
And as something else to agree on maybe we can agree that we have differing opinions on the Monarchy!

If you go back far enough you can find something 'wrong' in every past ... I bet one of your direct ancestors killed someone in the past, should I protest that you are locked up for that. If you must judge the Monarchy at least do so based on the current Monarchy and not what a queen did hundreds of years ago (and let's not be dragged into Oliver Cromwell and his bunch of thugs).

So is the DofE the only person to have had a car accident and not been charged? Note: he faced up to his responsibilities immediately after that and stopped driving ... can you say that of all others who have caused a car accident?

Well maybe you are equally narrow-minded if you can't understand why people want to retain the Monarchy! So on that point let's both agree to disagree and accept that we are both narrow-minded. ;)
I never said I can't understand the other side, you did. :)
firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:49 am
I see our monarchy as the greatest ambassadors of any country in the world and cannot see why some should want to throw away that advantage though I agree it's a very British thing to do ...
If your opponents get elected into government you have to live with it, they been fairly and democratically elected, you can't say it's wrong. But in my opinion a dictatorship, overthrown democratically elected government, or being born into a powerful role is categorically wrong. If I can understand how people love to go trainspotting or watch Eastenders I can easily understand why people like the monarchy, but they have no right to be there.
alexmr2

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:02 pm
If your opponents get elected into government you have to live with it, they been fairly and democratically elected, you can't say it's wrong. But in my opinion a dictatorship, overthrown democratically elected government, or being born into a powerful role is categorically wrong. If I can understand how people love to go trainspotting or watch Eastenders I can easily understand why people like the monarchy, but they have no right to be there.
The UK government has been a dictatorship for the last 16 months and you'll find that most of the top politicians were born into it and went to the same school

Also most of the policies currently being talked about are extremely left wing or green party, despite supposedly having a right wing party in power. Printing £1,000,000,000,000 out of thin air doesn't seem very conservative to me either :lol:
Derek27

alexmr2 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:05 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:02 pm
The UK government has been a dictatorship for the last 16 months and you'll find that most of the top politicians were born into it and went to the same school

Also most of the policies currently being talked about are extremely left wing or green party, despite supposedly having a right wing party in power. Printing £1,000,000,000,000 out of thin air doesn't seem very conservative to me either :lol:
Yes, I suppose every government is a dictatorship, but they've been democratically elected to dictate for a fixed term.
darchas

alexmr2 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:05 pm
The UK government has been a dictatorship for the last 16 months

What?!

Return to “General discussion”