RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:01 am
jamesg46 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:25 am
... reply to what is said, not what you think was said.
James, you really need to tell yourself that!

You said that you deliberately offend people and you think that others do the same. What you said is 100% accurate, as it came from you. What you think is potentially inaccurate as you can't possibly know the reasons behind another person's actions, but I can confirm it's 100% inaccurate as I don't deliberately offend others.

Remember, it's now Saturday. You need to be on your best behaviour or people will think you're pissed again. ;)
OK, Derek ;) ;)
Derek27

I was given a free bottle of hand gel on a key ring. Finished using it so I thought I'd file the key ring away in my storage cupboard in case I ever need it. Had to remove my socket set to access my mini-compartment case, socket set wasn't properly closed, case opened and every flipping socket ends up on the floor. :x :x No easy job putting them all back in the right place!
Derek27

I've had both my jabs, where's my kebab?
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:52 pm
I honestly couldn't believe what I was reading. Which moron came up with this grand scheme? The contempt they have for the public. "Please we are begging that you selfish people get jabbed... we come in peace and offer you free discounts on kebabs and taxis". Funny thing is, morons will love it, not realising that it's their tax money paying for this shit... & really, what a way to promote health... a flipping kebab and taxi. I give up.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:01 pm
Derek27 wrote:
I honestly couldn't believe what I was reading. Which moron came up with this grand scheme? The contempt they have for the public. "Please we are begging that you selfish people get jabbed... we come in peace and offer you free discounts on kebabs and taxis". Funny thing is, morons will love it, not realising that it's their tax money paying for this shit... & really, what a way to promote health... a flipping kebab and taxi. I give up.
If I staggered out of a pub I wouldn't care much for a free ride home but offer me a kebab and I'd be rolling up my sleeves. :lol:

Even if I was a rich man thete's something about free food that has me dribbling. :)
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:16 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:01 pm
Derek27 wrote:
If I staggered out of a pub I wouldn't care much for a free ride home but offer me a kebab and I'd be rolling up my sleeves. :lol:

Even if I was a rich man thete's something about free food that has me dribbling. :)
:lol:
ANGELS15

ANGELS15 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:34 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:28 pm
ANGELS15 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:18 pm
I went into a Labrokes the other day. I like this particular shop because it's very quiet and I can ususally sit directly in front of the big screens and observe the betting shows. I nipped a few doors up the road for a chinese takeaway, brought it back and sat down to eat it. Just at that moment an elderly couple who are regulars walked in and up to the counter. As I took the first mouthful of my food I was taken aback at how lacking in salt it was.

I wanted to ask the cashier if he had any salt/pepper in their tea room. This cashier was taking an age to deal with the old couple's bets. I was really hungry so started reluctantly to eat. A few minutes went by and the cashier was still serving the old couple. I thought ffs it would be quicker to nip next door to the convenience store and buy some salt.

I quickly went next door and had to buy a huge salt container (£1) and a bottle of pepper sauce also £1. Went back to finish my food just as the cashier finished serving the elderly couple.

When I finished my meal I went up to the counter and said to the cashier 'I've got this huge salt container and this bottle of pepper sauce. I've seen you guys bring food for your meals etc. Would you like to have them to go in your kitchen cupboard?' (It's a very long drive from where I live to this shop and I didn't want to bring them home with me).

I was shocked at how disinterested this cashier was (he appeared to be one of these student types and this part time job was probably to support himself through college). He didn't even make eye contact with me just shrugged his shoulders and said 'no just throw them away'. Would it have hurt him to place them on the shelf for his colleagues to use? One day one of them may be looking for salt/pepper.

Having been brought up not to waste anything I was disgusted by his attitude. Sadly it's typical of what you see in a lot of bookies these days and no doubt contributes to the demise of these places.
You should have taken it back to the Chinese and asked them to chuck some salt & pepper on it.
:lol: :lol:
I've been meaning to do a follow up to my rant of 10 july 2021. As I had stated I occasionally visit a particular Ladbrokes. It's a very quiet shop often only one or two other customers in there. I've never had a problem eating a sandwich or takeaway in there. I don't do it every visit as if I can I eat in the cafe or chippy.

Derek27 made an interesting point when he said it had been a while since he'd been in a bookies and didn't know you could eat in there.... Anyway.......

I'd visited the shop a few times since the 10 july 2021. The 10 july had been my first visit for around 2 years. Anyway since that 10July visit I'd visited a few times and taken some food in there sat down ate. There had been a variety of staff there no problems. They were all new to me but I was getting used to them and we usually had a pleasant banter when I went there.

About a week/10 days after the 10 July I went in there with a takeawa. It was a chinese takeaway and the little plastic fork they'd given me splintered. I went up to the counter and asked the guy (who had seen me several times) whether he had a fork or spoon. These places usually have a microwave, sink some basics. The cashier said he didn't have anything. I said ' how do you make yourselves a cup of tea?'. In no way was it said in an angry way just puzzlement.

I went back to my food, the plastic fork although splintered still was just about usuable. Suddenly the cashier opened his door poked his head out and said 'hey mate actually there's no food allowed in the shop I can get in trouble for this'.

I was stunned as I'd visited the shop about 7 or 8 times in a 10 day period and there had been no warnings that I couldn't eat. Indeed surely bookies want customers to spend a long time in their shops so they must expect that customers will need food and to use the loo etc.

I hate doing things to upset or cause trouble for others so I apologised and said I really hadn't realised it was a problem and that no-one had warned me.

However I was also fumimg because a pet hate of mine is people who allow you to do something on a regular basis even have a laugh and a joke with you and then suddenly drop a bombshell on you one day.

A similar scenario is if you've visited a site for years parked in a particular spot on a regular basis. You've always seen the same people when you get there then they tell you actually you've never been meant to park there.

I could have understood if on the 10 July the guy had said 'sorry mate but no food allowed'. Instead he/they let me carry on on several subsequant visits. To me that's acting like a p****.

Anyway after finishing my meal I left without any argument and made my way to a Hills I know. It's nearly as quiet as the Ladbokes. The staff there were people I recognised and were pleased to see me after nearly 18 months. Anyway both of these places are a fair ways from where I live so I tend to eat locally or in the shop.

When I re-visited the Hills the next day I asked the guy if I could eat a sandwich, he replied 'of course sir'. In any even it's a lesson learned so I'll always ask!
stueytrader

Never known a rule about not eating in a bookies - I've often munched a sarnie or something in them, and seen many others do similar...?

Though not for a long time, and not sure I'd eat a full on takeaway in one. Plus, there are probably more recent issues with health and safety..?
Derek27

Having the audacity to ask for a fork must have been the tipping point. :lol:
Trader Pat

Its years since I've been in a bookies but I used to live near a Boylesports that gave free tea, coffee & soup so pretty sure eating wouldn't be a problem.
The Silk Run

I admire your audacity Angel. From what I can gather you visit the bookmakers with device, flat cap, pencil behing ear, and food. Dominate seating with your setup, and take advantage of bookmaker live feeds.
Do they give you a wireless key as well ;)
wearthefoxhat

The Silk Run wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:34 pm
I admire your audacity Angel. From what I can gather you visit the bookmakers with device, flat cap, pencil behing ear, and food. Dominate seating with your setup, and take advantage of bookmaker live feeds.
No need for a key.

When I visited a local racecourse recently, I had something like this (in my pocket) linked to my smartphone. ;) (would work in a bookies too)

legs.png

In the bookies, I think if it's a sandwich they're ok with it. If it's cooked food and could potentially stink the place out, then they might say something, unless they've provided it. (legally they can in a private area - high roller room)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ANGELS15

The Silk Run wrote:
I've been going in bookies over 30 years and in the past done my fair bit of dough. I usually do some small 'mug' bets 10p yankees, forecasts etc so as not to arouse too much suspicion. In light of the amounts of money I've spent there in the past I don't feel I owe them too much. As I've stated they (presumably?) want people to stay in there for hours and there are people that do so as they don't serve food themselves can't really expect their customers to survive for hours on fresh air.

It's funny you mention about the flat cap pencil, office type set up. Perhaps part of the problem is they don't make enough money off me as 99.9% of what I do is on the exchange.
ANGELS15

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:56 pm
The Silk Run wrote:
No need for a key.

When I visited a local racecourse recently, I had something like this (in my pocket) linked to my smartphone. ;) (would work in a bookies too)

legs.png

In the bookies, I think if it's a sandwich they're ok with it. If it's cooked food and could potentially stink the place out, then they might say something, unless they've provided it. (legally they can in a private area - high roller room)
That's an interesting point about cold food as a lot of the time it's tended to be a sandwich from the local mini-supermarket so that could be why it's often been overlooked. As others have said I've seen people eating sandwiches without any issue.
Derek27

When I was 17 I worked for a very small company and we all got chips, burgers and kebabs and ate them in the office for lunch. A year later I was working for a large insurance company as an IBM/COBOL programmer. I brought back a burger and chips in my first week and the boss had a quiet word with me. Sandwiches and cold food is fine but anything else and you go to the lunch room. :)

Return to “General discussion”