RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Jukebox

It wouldn't hurt if the tax disc could be in the form of a bell !
Derek27

I've heard if insurance is required, so will number plates. But unless the police intend to follow a cyclist at 8mph and do a radio check on their insurance, surely a bicycle serial number should be sufficient!
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:30 pm
I've heard if insurance is required, so will number plates. But unless the police intend to follow a cyclist at 8mph and do a radio check on their insurance, surely a bicycle serial number should be sufficient!
ANPR cameras. Bobbies don't need to radio for checks anymore. But if it happens will they only need a rear plate like motorbikes do?
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:52 am
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:30 pm
ANPR cameras. Bobbies don't need to radio for checks anymore. But if it happens will they only need a rear plate like motorbikes do?
You've just resurrected an old memory. The pic below is probably US but I think I remember front plates when I was a kid. Can't imagine the point. If you're in front of the bike you can't read it, if you're by the side of the road it will fly past you at 60mph!

project61.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShaunWhite

That's pre-1975. A plate like that was called a "pedestrian silencer". These days we prefer not to have a fixed blade attached to the front, health and safety gone mad :D

That headlight peak looks a bit brutal too :shock:
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:14 am
That's pre-1975. A plate like that was called a "pedestrian silencer". These days we prefer not to have a fixed blade attached to the front, health and safety gone mad :D

That headlight peak looks a bit brutal too :shock:
flipping hell! I wonder how many people had a leg sliced off in an accident before they realised that wasn't a good idea. :lol:
Derek27

WTF's wrong with a sexy lady dancing at a party, even if she is PM?

Would people rather see Boris Johnson dancing? :lol:
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:57 pm
WTF's wrong with a sexy lady dancing at a party, even if she is PM?

Would people rather see Boris Johnson dancing? :lol:
:lol: Gove undermines another prospective PM.
'Michael Gove has backed Rishi Sunak to be the next Conservative leader and prime minister, as he accused Liz Truss of taking a "holiday from reality".'
Shake hands and then count your fingers.
Derek27

She-Hulk, FFS. :lol:
Archery1969

Gove has the hump with Truss as she made him homeless. He moved out of his family home for some reason into Government digs but she got him kicked out. :lol:

I doubt he was really homeless in the real sense but he did have to spend a week or two in a hotel.

:lol:
greenmark

Is it just me or are some of us going a bit potty?

"Police officers who were criticised after being shown on social media dancing at an LGBTQ+ Pride event have been defended by their chief constable.

Video posted online featured officers performing the Macarena at Lincoln's annual Pride celebration on Saturday.

The tweet attracted several negative responses, with some users calling it "embarrassing" and a "disgrace".

But Lincolnshire Chief Constable Chris Haward said the officers' actions did not "detract from their duties"."

How could anyone possibly complain about 4 coppers engaging with the public and having a bit of a laugh? :roll:
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:05 pm

"Police officers who were criticised after being shown on social media dancing at an LGBTQ+ Pride event have been defended by their chief constable.

Video posted online featured officers performing the Macarena at Lincoln's annual Pride celebration on Saturday.

The tweet attracted several negative responses, with some users calling it "embarrassing" and a "disgrace".

But Lincolnshire Chief Constable Chris Haward said the officers' actions did not "detract from their duties"."

How could anyone possibly complain about 4 coppers engaging with the public and having a bit of a laugh? :roll:
It's all social media's fault.

Before social media people had to complain at the tv or to the cat. Now they can complain on Twitter or Facebook and other people who feel the same way can join in; then the other even bigger group of people who didn't realise that whatever is being complained about bothered them in the first place join in and then another group of people who aren't bothered about what is being complained about but because it offends others they in turn also complain on behalf of those who have already complained; then yet another group of people who aren't bothered by what is being complained about but feel offended on behalf of those who are yet to be offended by it.
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:13 pm
greenmark wrote:

Before social media people had to complain at the tv or to the cat. Now they can complain on Twitter or Facebook and other people who feel the same way can join in; then the other even bigger group of people who didn't realise that whatever is being complained about bothered them in the first place join in and then another group of people who aren't bothered about what is being complained about but because it offends others they in turn also complain on behalf of those who have already complained; then yet another group of people who aren't bothered by what is being complained about but feel offended on behalf of those who are yet to be offended by it.
Thats close to one of Sir Humphrey Appleby's monologues in "Yes, Minister" that seeks to define an unequivocal truth over the maelstrom of human nature.
I doff my cap to you again sir.
Jukebox

Mrs Trellis of North Wales never needed social media.
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:41 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:13 pm
greenmark wrote:

Thats close to one of Sir Humphrey Appleby's monologues in "Yes, Minister" that seeks to define an unequivocal truth over the maelstrom of human nature.
I doff my cap to you again sir.

Return to “General discussion”