RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

I'd be absolutely furious if I lost one important spreadsheet and didn't have a backup, as most well-organised forumites would be. How the flipping hell can an organisation like the police wipe out what sounds like an entire database and not have any backup???

I have a theory. With the US transition drawing to a close somebody wants to open the door to new conspiracy theories!
Kai

It's snowing. :evil:
Realrocknrolla

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:27 pm
Realrocknrolla wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:47 pm
Kids leaving plates in the sink with food. Gets my goat!
Adults leaving food in the food waste bin, with wrapper makes my blood boil!
+1 on that also Derek!
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:30 pm
I'd be absolutely furious if I lost one important spreadsheet and didn't have a backup, as most well-organised forumites would be. How the flipping hell can an organisation like the police wipe out what sounds like an entire database and not have any backup???

I have a theory. With the US transition drawing to a close somebody wants to open the door to new conspiracy theories!
It always amazes me that so called database professionals don't follow good practice. In this instance they should never, ever, delete any records. Instead every record should have a "Deleted" field. When the record is "Deleted" it isn't, that field is simply set to "Yes" and the record is ignored except when the extraction is for "Deleted" records. That way the "Deleted" record is always recoverable! Simple. And as for back-ups ... well it beggars belief.
Last edited by firlandsfarm on Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:05 am
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:30 pm

It always amazes me that so called database professionals don't follow good practice. In this instance they should never, ever, delete any records. Instead every record should have a "Deleted" field. When the record is "Deleted" it isn't, that filed is simply set to "Yes" and the record is ignored except when the extraction is for "Deleted" records. That way the "Deleted" record is always recoverable! Simple. And as for back-ups ... well it beggars belief.
What's even more shocking is that the news channels haven't picked up on the backup issue! When I first typed out a document on WordStar (Microsoft's equivalent to today's Word), not even as big as the post I'm typing now, I saved it on a 5.25" floppy disk, and backed it up to another floppy disk for security reasons. I didn't need to be highly trained in data security, just a brief bit of advice. Obviously if the house burnt down that day both floppy disks would be destroyed but I'm pretty sure if the internet and cloud backup existed in my whizz-kid days I'd still have whatever it was that I typed if I still wanted it.

Personally, I couldn't bear to lose pictures of my cat when it was a kitten and make sure they're backed up safely on remote storage, but the home office seems to think police records of ongoing cases, fingerprints, DNA profiles, etc. are less important than my cat! Priti Patel talks about bringing in data recovery experts but doesn't explain why they're needed in the first place. :?
Derek27

Adopt a tiger, adopt an elephant, now it's adopt a flipping penguin!!
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:43 am
Adopt a tiger, adopt an elephant, now it's adopt a flipping penguin!!
Adopt a kestrel. :-)
Derek27

Starting from 19:00 tonight, 60 hours of near-continuous rain in the forecast! With a strong southerly wind, I won't even be able to use my smoking shelter. :(
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:48 pm
Starting from 19:00 tonight, 60 hours of near-continuous rain in the forecast! With a strong southerly wind, I won't even be able to use my smoking shelter. :(
And I have the choice of festering at home or stewing gently in inadequately breathable/waterproof waterproofs if I decide to brave the conditions for my 1.5hr constitutional. How dare the weather wizards do this! Actually this isn't a rant is it? This is just UK weather. Joyfully erratic.
Realrocknrolla

Derek27 wrote:
Brilliant fishing 🎣 weather! 🤗
Derek27

I've just got a Happy New Year email from the Co-operative Bank! What flipping new year??
Derek27

Derek27 wrote:
Shouldn't really rant about the weather, it's serious up north. :oops:
Derek27

Sky News just had a caption saying Joe Biden's been sworn in as US president! Do they think I've been asleep for the last 24 hours?
Derek27

Atho55 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:23 am
Not just the Forum you bore to tears then....
Just got my pubic hair caught in my flies. :lol:
Derek27

Indian Super League is advertised as being on Freesports, instead they're showing a flipping cricket match!

Return to “General discussion”