RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:41 am
Spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why I can't get sound from a YouTube vid on my TV. Carried out all sorts of tests, fiddled with all relevent, and irrelevant settings. Then I figured out the solution was to switch the flipping TV off, and on again!!! :x :x
Are you casting it? I've had exactly the same. I think it's when I wake up the TV by casting rather than it being on first.

My TV is screwed, I've disconnected the SSD and done factory resets, cleared the app caches and still everyday at 6:00 it changes channel and is unresponsive for an hour even if you reboot it. I've just organised a "repair".... Must say Richer Sounds are excellent, but this is my 3rd Sony TV with issues.
Naffman

Seeing a lot of moaning that the BOE should take into account peoples mortgage repayments before they decide to raise the rate today. I’m sorry but this isn’t the BOE’s job, you and your lender should’ve made sure you had enough to pay for a worst case scenario, curbing inflation is a hell of a lot more important than saving a few who way overstretched their limits.
ShaunWhite

Naffman wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:49 am
Seeing a lot of moaning that the BOE should take into account peoples mortgage repayments before they decide to raise the rate today. I’m sorry but this isn’t the BOE’s job, you and your lender should’ve made sure you had enough to pay for a worst case scenario, curbing inflation is a hell of a lot more important than saving a few who way overstretched their limits.
+1. I remember when I bought my first place (1990ish) the rates went from about 4% (high by today's standards) to FIFTEEEN percent. Repayments trippled, but mortgages then we're limitted to 3x income back then which allowed headroom. The issue now is that wages are so low and house prices so high that 3x wages isn't enough for a rabbit hutch, so people are forced to overstretch with less than honest "affordability" applications.

I've got huge sympathy for single people too, my lad is 30, he earns £11.50/hr 40 hrs a week (mechanic) that's only £25k a year (take home about 1600) and a tiny terrace near him is 200k (8x wages) His rent is 750! It's absolutely tragic esp with no 2nd income from a partner and a child to support.
Naffman

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:27 pm
Naffman wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:49 am
+1. I remember when I bought my first place (1990ish) the rates went from about 4% (high by today's standards) to FIFTEEEN percent. Repayments trippled, but mortgages then we're limitted to 3x income back then which allowed headroom. The issue now is that wages are so low and house prices so high that 3x wages isn't enough for a rabbit hutch, so people are forced to overstretch with less than honest "affordability" applications.

I've got huge sympathy for single people too, my lad is 30, he earns £11.50/hr 40 hrs a week (mechanic) that's only £25k a year (take home about 1600) and a tiny terrace near him is 200k (8x wages) His rent is 750! It's absolutely tragic esp with no 2nd income from a partner and a child to support.
Yeah single people unfortunately have no chance in this market where even couples with 2 incomes are stretched. And how house prices rose almost exponentially during covid/recession proves this is anything but a normal healthy market.
Kai

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:16 am
My TV is screwed, I've disconnected the SSD and done factory resets, cleared the app caches and still everyday at 6:00 it changes channel and is unresponsive for an hour even if you reboot it. I've just organised a "repair"....
Time to switch to a nice LG OLED TV Shaun? :) Seen those go for as low as $45.99

jimibt

Kai wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:08 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
My TV is screwed, I've disconnected the SSD and done factory resets, cleared the app caches and still everyday at 6:00 it changes channel and is unresponsive for an hour even if you reboot it. I've just organised a "repair"....
Time to switch to a nice LG OLED TV Shaun? :) Seen those go for as low as $45.99

$44.98 :D
Kai

jimibt wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:11 pm
Whoops :D Still pretty good value Jimbo!
jimibt

Kai wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:14 pm
jimibt wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:11 pm
Whoops :D Still pretty good value Jimbo!
coincidently, my sister just gave us her OLD OLED LG tv on monday. reason - small dark line at bottom of screen. hardly visible unless you are watching sports or anything with a static self colored background. in short -unaffected :D
Kai

jimibt wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:17 pm
coincidently, my sister just gave us her OLD OLED LG tv on monday. reason - small dark line at bottom of screen. hardly visible unless you are watching sports or anything with a static self colored background. in short -unaffected :D
Hit quite the jackpot there, hands down best TV today 👌
jimibt

Kai wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:24 pm
jimibt wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:17 pm
Hit quite the jackpot there, hands down best TV today 👌
yup -will be even better once she sends me the remote control (i left it on her table as we left after picking it up) - lol
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:41 am
Spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why I can't get sound from a YouTube vid on my TV. Carried out all sorts of tests, fiddled with all relevent, and irrelevant settings. Then I figured out the solution was to switch the flipping TV off, and on again!!! :x :x
Are you casting it? I've had exactly the same. I think it's when I wake up the TV by casting rather than it being on first.

My TV is screwed, I've disconnected the SSD and done factory resets, cleared the app caches and still everyday at 6:00 it changes channel and is unresponsive for an hour even if you reboot it. I've just organised a "repair".... Must say Richer Sounds are excellent, but this is my 3rd Sony TV with issues.
No, the TV's connected to my VM box via HDMI.
Derek27

The Prince and Princess of Wales are meeting people who say they've been planning for years and years the Queen's funeral! :o
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:45 pm
The Prince and Princess of Wales are meeting people who say they've been planning for years and years the Queen's funeral! :o
Are they meeting Charles and Camilla?
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:43 pm
Derek27 wrote:
They're no longer P&P.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:48 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:43 pm
Derek27 wrote:
They're no longer P&P.
I know, Will and Kate are P&P..... And the people they met who've been planning for years and years are Chaz and Camilla. :) Sheesh a joke dies a death when you explain it :D

Return to “General discussion”