RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

WTF is "organised showers"? Is there a command cloud controlling the formation or where each cloud should go?
weemac

Commentators and pundits claiming that "the keeper had absolutely no chance", when to make such an assertion is patent nonsense. :x
greenmark

weemac wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:08 pm
Commentators and pundits claiming that "the keeper had absolutely no chance", when to make such an assertion is patent nonsense. :x
Reckon Paulinha's goal for Fulham last night was unsaveable. Despite the pundits saying the keeper was yards of his line, I doubt he could have stopped it, as it flicked the inside of the post as it went in. Well, I enjoyed as a neutral anyhow. :-)
Derek27

All of our operators are currently helping other customers...

I couldn't care any less whether they're having tea, cracking jokes amongst each other or helping other customers. All that matters is that they're not helping me!
Derek27

I've often had a rant on here about cyclists on the pavement. Today a woman has been jailed for three years for shouting at an elderly woman cycling on the pavement, allegedly causing her to stumble onto the road and into the path of a car.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that she deserved to die, but I could hardly blame anyone for getting angry about it. You can run somebody over with a bicycle - it's high time it was banned altogether. Perhaps spike strips across pavements should be implemented.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:45 pm
I've often had a rant on here about cyclists on the pavement. Today a woman has been jailed for three years for shouting at an elderly woman cycling on the pavement, allegedly causing her to stumble onto the road and into the path of a car.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that she deserved to die, but I could hardly blame anyone for getting angry about it. You can run somebody over with a bicycle - it's high time it was banned altogether. Perhaps spike strips across pavements should be implemented.
As a sometime cyclist, riding on the pavement is a sensible idea. Motorists are selfish idiots. It would seem pedestrians are too.
But I take your point. There are plenty of cyclists that don't respect pedestrians or sensible behaviour in traffic. That lady got what she deserved I'm afraid in a system that doesn't allow seperation of pedestrians, cyclists and motorists.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:58 pm
Derek27 wrote:

As a sometime cyclist, riding on the pavement is a sensible idea. Motorists are selfish idiots. It would seem pedestrians are too.
But I take your point. There are plenty of cyclists that don't respect pedestrians or sensible behaviour in traffic. That lady got what she deserved I'm afraid in a system that doesn't allow seperation of pedestrians, cyclists and motorists.
Are you talking about the one who died or the one that went to prison for it?

It was on my local news so you won't see it, but apparently, she cycled along a pavement with signs up to say it was a shared pedestrian and cyclist path, but the court concluded it was unclear whether the incident spot was a shared path.

I've clocked up one or two thousand miles on a cycle in my day and never had a problem. Only a few occasions when a driver pulled out without seeing me. Most of my cycling was on country lanes and dual-carriage A roads where drivers have a good view of you, but I've done quite a few miles in built-up areas.
Derek27

A special shampoo for women going through the menopause. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Derek27

I just googled, "who sung one for the money two for the show".

Google replies: "Did you mean who sang one for the money two for the show"

FFS, does it matter? I wasn't asking for advice about grammar. And shouldn't you use a question mark Google?
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:03 pm
greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

It was on my local news so you won't see it, but apparently, she cycled along a pavement with signs up to say it was a shared pedestrian and cyclist path, but the court concluded it was unclear whether the incident spot was a shared path.

I've clocked up one or two thousand miles on a cycle in my day and never had a problem. Only a few occasions when a driver pulled out without seeing me. Most of my cycling was on country lanes and dual-carriage A roads where drivers have a good view of you, but I've done quite a few miles in built-up areas.
The lady that got 3 years sadly deserved it because what she did amounted to assault and the consequences were fatal.

Cycling in safety really depends on the width of the road and the patience and alertness of drivers (and cyclists).
Riding on the pavement with pedestrians around requires an abundance of caution and preparedness to stop. The issue with this one was the lunge towards the cyclist regardless of whether she shouldn't have been on the pavement or not. Even if it had been another pedestrian that tried to avoid a percieved threat of violence and fell into the path of the car, regardless of there being no contact from the lunge makes no difference. The legal outcome would have been the same.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:56 am
Derek27 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

The lady that got 3 years sadly deserved it because what she did amounted to assault and the consequences were fatal.

Cycling in safety really depends on the width of the road and the patience and alertness of drivers (and cyclists).
Riding on the pavement with pedestrians around requires an abundance of caution and preparedness to stop. The issue with this one was the lunge towards the cyclist regardless of whether she shouldn't have been on the pavement or not. Even if it had been another pedestrian that tried to avoid a percieved threat of violence and fell into the path of the car, regardless of there being no contact from the lunge makes no difference. The legal outcome would have been the same.
Take a look at the video and note how narrow the pavement is. As far as I can see, she didn't lunge, she just got in the way by walking in the centre of the pavement, but pedestrians have the right to walk on the left, right, centre or any other part of the pavement you can name. The video doesn't show the deceased cyclist's approach but it appears she was trying to squeeze through a narrow gap between the pedestrian and the road. Shouldn't it be her responsibility to control her bicycle and perhaps press the brakes?

She chose to go for the gap instead of stopping. Just imagine the pedestrian walking on without gesturing or swearing. Would she still have got 3 years, or even been found guilty of a crime?

The thing about cycling on the road is that it avoids head-on collisions - the traffic close to you is moving in the same direction. Allowing cyclists on narrow pavements without a one-way system is bound to cause accidents and I suspect her 3-year sentence was induced by the fact that she showed no remorse, didn't stay at the scene of the accident and went shopping at the supermarket. I don't even know what she purchased from the supermarket but if it was beer and cigarettes that would have sealed her fate.

It should be illegal for anyone to cycle on the pavement once they reach the age of 12. People who are shit scared of cycling on the road shouldn't get a bike. FFS, my 10-year-old classmates passed their proficiency test and cycled home from school on the road!

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2023-03 ... -is-jailed
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:44 am
greenmark wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:56 am
Derek27 wrote:

Take a look at the video and note how narrow the pavement is. As far as I can see, she didn't lunge, she just got in the way by walking in the centre of the pavement, but pedestrians have the right to walk on the left, right, centre or any other part of the pavement you can name. The video doesn't show the deceased cyclist's approach but it appears she was trying to squeeze through a narrow gap between the pedestrian and the road. Shouldn't it be her responsibility to control her bicycle and perhaps press the brakes?

She chose to go for the gap instead of stopping. Just imagine the pedestrian walking on without gesturing or swearing. Would she still have got 3 years, or even been found guilty of a crime?

The thing about cycling on the road is that it avoids head-on collisions - the traffic close to you is moving in the same direction. Allowing cyclists on narrow pavements without a one-way system is bound to cause accidents and I suspect her 3-year sentence was induced by the fact that she showed no remorse, didn't stay at the scene of the accident and went shopping at the supermarket. I don't even know what she purchased from the supermarket but if it was beer and cigarettes that would have sealed her fate.

It should be illegal for anyone to cycle on the pavement once they reach the age of 12. People who are shit scared of cycling on the road shouldn't get a bike. FFS, my 10-year-old classmates passed their proficiency test and cycled home from school on the road!

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2023-03 ... -is-jailed
I don't agree. Neuther does the justice system (barring successful appeal). She flailed an arm while swearing. The law doesn't require intent to harm, merely that the victim felt the threat of violence and took evasive action that resulted in harm.
goldfinch77

There is actually as the sun heats the land, warm air rises and cooler air descends to replace it, only to warmed by the land and so on.
This vertical motion is what we often experience when flying as turbulence.
The layout of the land prescribes where this is most likely to happen, so once its starts an "organised" band of showers forms until the sun stops heating the land.

Andy
Derek27

The only way to get hold of a small trolley at ASDA is to wait for a bird to push one out of the store and follow her to her car. One of these days I'm gonna get arrested through no fault of my own!
Derek27

Prince Harry says he always felt different from the rest of the family!

That's because you are different, you tit!

Return to “General discussion”