RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

Coffee £5 for a 95g jar, £5.50 for a 170g jar. Not surprisingly they're all gone.

And eggs all gone, again!
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:31 pm
Coffee £5 for a 95g jar, £5.50 for a 170g jar. Not surprisingly they're all gone.

Tesco and Morrison here are asking for recruits on their reciepts, so it may be that they simply can't restock the shelves fast enough. Perhaps you should request access to their warehouse so you can pick your own. :-)
Joking aside I have noticed a drop in staff and gaps on shelves and i don't think it's panic buying, they simply don't have the staff anymore.
The counter to that being the shift in my local Tesco to self-checkout. Removed 2/3rds of the cashier operated tills and replaced them with self-service trolley checkout and a whole chunk of Xmas "goodies" (which I won't be buying). And weirdly shut down the "Scan as you shop" checkouts.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
There's a bird flu concern at the moment and a lot of the free range flocks have been moved indoors, some are 10,000 birds or more. It takes a while before they get over the disruption and start laying as normal again. Regards, your farming correspondant :)
Archangel

greenmark wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:51 pm

Joking aside I have noticed a drop in staff and gaps on shelves and i don't think it's panic buying, they simply don't have the staff anymore.
Wonder why that is ?
Naffman

greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

Tesco and Morrison here are asking for recruits on their reciepts, so it may be that they simply can't restock the shelves fast enough. Perhaps you should request access to their warehouse so you can pick your own. :-)
The counter to that being the shift in my local Tesco to self-checkout. Removed 2/3rds of the cashier operated tills and replaced them with self-service trolley checkout and a whole chunk of Xmas "goodies" (which I won't be buying). And weirdly shut down the "Scan as you shop" checkouts.
How much do staff get paid at supermarkets, I bet it’s barely £10 p/h and that goes for a lot of jobs these days, really don’t know how people are surviving on that.
Derek27

Naffman wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:44 pm
How much do staff get paid at supermarkets, I bet it’s barely £10 p/h and that goes for a lot of jobs these days, really don’t know how people are surviving on that.
That's a flipping lot more than I made tonight. Traded two matches, redded up on both of them within minutes after an early goal. Not another match until two tomorrow morning, a Mexican women's match. Not even anything to test my new bot on. Just housework and beer tonight.
greenmark

Archangel wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:07 pm
greenmark wrote:

Wonder why that is ?
Well, yes. Full employment due to to Brexit. But I wouldn't deny a Tesco employee heading off to exploit a better opportunity.
I't'll all balance out eventually, but brexit is going to take some effort to overcome.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:03 pm
Archangel wrote:
greenmark wrote:

Wonder why that is ?
Well, yes. Full employment due to to Brexit. But I wouldn't deny a Tesco employee heading off to exploit a better opportunity.
I't'll all balance out eventually, but brexit is going to take some effort to overcome.
Talking about Brexit, I heard when we were in Europe, asylum seekers who come from a safe country could be sent back to that safe country, which isn't possible now. I don't know the full details but I wonder if the 40,000 that have made the crossing in the last year and the sheer chaos we're in now has been supplemented by Brexit? ;)
Derek27

I've just found a dozen eggs in my kitchen, I forgot I bought them one or two days ago. :D :lol:

If anybody needs eggs, just PM me. They're £50 each. :D
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:11 am
greenmark wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:03 pm
Archangel wrote:

Wonder why that is ?
Talking about Brexit, I heard when we were in Europe, asylum seekers who come from a safe country could be sent back to that safe country, which isn't possible now. I don't know the full details but I wonder if the 40,000 that have made the crossing in the last year and the sheer chaos we're in now has been supplemented by Brexit? ;)
From what I've read we get far fewer asylim seekers than Germany 140000, France 120000, Spain 120000+ or Greece 80000.
So everything is relative I guess.
But yes I'm certain Brexit has meant the French are less inclined to try to prevent people crossing the channel than before. Hence us having to fork out an extra £8million to them. But Brexit will be a drag on us for some time I think, but c'est la vie.
Archangel

At least we have 'taken back control' of our borders eh !
greenmark

Archangel wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:05 pm
At least we have 'taken back control' of our borders eh !
Reckon the govt itching to allow more workers in, but are afraid of the backlash.
But in a sense brexit has worked. More Brits employed, on higher wages, but sadly the downside is skills shortages and higher prices to meet wage demands.
But this is what 52% voted for and we just have to get on with it.
And perhaps define the winning percentage for the next referedum (whatever the subject) higher than 51?
Archangel

greenmark wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:12 pm

Call me cynical but I suspect a large number of that 52% had no idea what they were voting for. How could they when they were told so many lies by the leave campaign.
greenmark

Archangel wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:42 pm
greenmark wrote:

Call me cynical but I suspect a large number of that 52% had no idea what they were voting for. How could they when they were told so many lies by the leave campaign.
And 28% of the possible turnout were so apathetic they didn''t bother, so in fact only 37% of the electorate created this situation. So there's a warning for the future, not only be careful what you wish for, but also don't abdicate your right to vote on a binary decision. If 100% voted we would have made the right decision (possibly the same one).
Anyhow, I'm an optimist and democratic capitalism will adapt and recover the situation. Er ... I hope.
Derek27

Archangel wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:42 pm
greenmark wrote:

I can't believe the number of people that asked me why I wanted to remain. I'd have to tell them, you don't need a reason to remain, you need a reason to leave! It sounds good to be in total control of your own affairs but many people didn't even weight up the pros and cons.

Return to “General discussion”