RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
greenmark

jamesedwards wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:07 pm
greenmark wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:48 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64920557
Nice little earner for Big Ears there. Paid suspension. No work, money in the bank.
Still agree with him though!
Surely anyone should be free to express an opinion on their own time without fear of repercussions from their employer?

As a side note you have to laugh at the hypocrisy of those who wax lyrical about freedom of speech - right up until it's contrary to their personal agenda, at which point it suddenly becomes offensive and should be shut down.
I agree with Lineker 100%. And I agree that he is a freelancer and unless his contract says otherwise he should be allowed to express his opinion. The policy he's criticised is both unworkable and the language used distorts the reality. If anything Lineker should be applauded for pointing that out.
greenmark

Why am I getting google notifications from Man City FC? You have got to be kidding? Jesus!
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:01 pm
Why am I getting google notifications from Man City FC? You have got to be kidding? Jesus!
The problem with Google is you either choose to sign in to every site that uses a Google ID or you have to sign in every time. I'm not sure if you can choose which sites you sign into. I keep getting emails from Quora about topics I'm not interested but I never look at my Gmail account.
The Silk Run

MOTD will be interesting this evening !!!
"limited sport programming this weekend"
Source BBC
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:23 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:01 pm
The problem with Google is you either choose to sign in to every site that uses a Google ID or you have to sign in every time. I'm not sure if you can choose which sites you sign into. I keep getting emails from Quora about topics I'm not interested but I never look at my Gmail account.
It was sent to my phone. I haven't changed the settings on my phone. Sheesh. modern tech can be so annoying!
greenmark

Can Australia curb its killer cats?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-64806771

I am speechless, well not quite. What a load of nonsense!
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:10 pm
Can Australia curb its killer cats?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-64806771

I am speechless, well not quite. What a load of nonsense!
I'm guessing cats are an invasive species down under, brought over by humans.

There was a British scientist that travelled to an island in the Pacific a few centuries ago with his cat. His cat caught a bird. The scientist sent it back to England for examination by his team and the message got back to him that it was an unknown species, with a request to bring back some more samples. But it was too late - the cat had eaten them all. :lol:
gazuty

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:07 am
I'm guessing cats are an invasive species down under, brought over by humans.
Wind farms are the new human created apex predator of birds.
Derek27

All these Rows, Columns, Count, Cells, SpecialCells, xlCellTypeLastCell properties and methods are really doing my head in!

Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Address??

Why not just have Range.LastFuckingCell.Address?
Derek27

I've just realised Excel has a bottom line, row 1,048,576 or 2^20. And there's me thinking space is infinite!
greenmark

Interesting comment.
"Paul Armstrong, a former Match of the Day editor, said there was a "lack of consistency…and clear guidelines" for how impartiality implies to sports staff.

He said he "wasn't in the least bit surprised" by the collective response from presenters, pundits and commentators, adding: "I don't know why BBC management didn't realise that these guys are a team… and that if you attack the captain, the others are going to withdraw their labour."

Lineker is perceived as a leader? Well, yes it looks like it. Shearer, Wright et al. Players refusing to be interviewed. Gary has succeeded in organising a coalition of opinon to support him.
TBH who is the villain here? Sure Lineker (and me) may not be as well acquainted with the breadth of issues here, but he has put an important subject front and centre to be debated intelligently. The BBC response looks like govt suppression. Deeply worrying.
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:08 am
When I get around to it, I'm gonna set up an email address, [email protected], and send people or organizations I don't like ferocious abuse, with the footnote, this email address is unmonitored...
How about "[email protected]" It's coming! :D
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:24 pm
The number of throwbacks that still measure ingredients in cups and temperature in Fahrenheit!!
USA
greenmark

firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:34 am
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:24 pm
The number of throwbacks that still measure ingredients in cups and temperature in Fahrenheit!!
USA
I must confess people still using fluid ounces and cups etc instead of metric is a pain in the bum for me.
1 litre of water weighs 1 kilo dead simple. 1lb of water weighs 15.34 fluid ounces. Imperial is a system that could have been penned by Edward Lear. It makes no sense. Stuff tradtion this system doesn't enhance life and now there are 2 systems, metric and imperial, it's obvious which is more logical.
As for a cup as a measure. It's ridiculous! Since when was a cup a defined, reliable measure? I have at least 4 sizes of "cup" in my cupboard. Which should I use?
firlandsfarm

greenmark wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:46 pm
I must confess people still using fluid ounces and cups etc instead of metric is a pain in the bum for me.
1 litre of water weighs 1 kilo dead simple. 1lb of water weighs 15.34 fluid ounces. Imperial is a system that could have been penned by Edward Lear. It makes no sense. Stuff tradtion this system doesn't enhance life and now there are 2 systems, metric and imperial, it's obvious which is more logical.
As for a cup as a measure. It's ridiculous! Since when was a cup a defined, reliable measure? I have at least 4 sizes of "cup" in my cupboard. Which should I use?
Hey you chose the easier example ... what about 'rod', 'pole' or 'perch' ... or 'bushel' ... or a 'chain', a 'span' and the one I like the most, a "hoppus foot" :lol: But it did keep the mental arithmetic highly tuned. I cringe at the need some people have to go to the calculator every time. And don't forget £sd.

Return to “General discussion”