Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 9:26 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 4:28 pm
greenmark wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 3:58 pm
A thief hiding in plain view.

Asda boss warns over food price caps as EG Group deal sealed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65720635

How can an industry that uses the same suppliers and has half a dozen players be competitive?
I wouldn't mind so much if their cartel gave us better quality, but if flipping doesn't. These guys are the lowest of the low.
They've been allowed to rip us and suppliers off and run away with big profits for too long.

A price cap is the bare minimum that should happen.
I'm not sure how a price cap works. If it's a government subsidy then fine. If farmers are limited to how much they can charge or supermarkets are limited and pass on the costs to the farmers it could cause all sorts of problems. I can't bear the thought of getting up in the morning and finding I've got no eggs or I have an egg and no toast to rest it on. :)
A price cap works because an industry that is abusing it's position, suddenly (well, not that suddenly) is subject to greater regulation.
This is what regulation is all about. It's not easy or snuggly. It's a battle.
What industry is abusing its position? The supermarkets or suppliers?

It's not just bread and milk that's gone up. Everything's gone up. I'm presuming the purpose of a price cap is to make sure people can afford the essentials but that would require a government subsidy, otherwise everything would have to be capped, and that would be like living in Communist Russia.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:37 pm
greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 4:28 pm

I'm not sure how a price cap works. If it's a government subsidy then fine. If farmers are limited to how much they can charge or supermarkets are limited and pass on the costs to the farmers it could cause all sorts of problems. I can't bear the thought of getting up in the morning and finding I've got no eggs or I have an egg and no toast to rest it on. :)
A price cap works because an industry that is abusing it's position, suddenly (well, not that suddenly) is subject to greater regulation.

It's not just bread and milk that's gone up. Everything's gone up. I'm presuming the purpose of a price cap is to make sure people can afford the essentials but that would require a government subsidy, otherwise everything would have to be capped, and that would be like living in Communist Russia.
Nonsense I've watched Tesco match Aldi and Sainsnbury match Tesco. Supermarkets are a cartel. They are ripping us all off. But it's the top guys are profiting.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:49 pm
Derek27 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

Nonsense I've watched Tesco match Aldi and Sainsnbury match Tesco. Supermarkets are a cartel. They are ripping us all off. But it's the top guys are profiting.
You can't easily rip people off when there's so much competition. With the way the cost of fuel and energy has skyrocketed, it's not difficult to understand why the cost of food has followed suit.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:55 pm
greenmark wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:49 pm
Derek27 wrote:

You can't easily rip people off when there's so much competition. With the way the cost of fuel and energy has skyrocketed, it's not difficult to understand why the cost of food has followed suit.
Thats cobblers particularly from someone like you. The supermarkets have always gamed the market. There is ni genuine competition.
My local Tesco has an Aldi 100yds away. They survive next to each other. That cannot be competition. And pricewise I can say there is no advantage shopping between either. We are being robbed.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:05 pm
We are being robbed.
You're being paranoid greenmark. Have you actually produced a financial statement of how much everything should cost?

As I said, if the cost of energy and fuel has hit the roof, so will the cost of producing, transporting, refrigerating and storing food.

For me, supermarkets have always been dirt cheap compared to local shops. I paid £12.99 for a pack of cigarettes. £11.60 in the supermarket and was £10.65 earlier this month. That's roughly 100% inflation on cigarettes!
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:40 pm
greenmark wrote:
We are being robbed.
You're being paranoid greenmark. Have you actually produced a financial statement of how much everything should cost?

As I said, if the cost of energy and fuel has hit the roof, so will the cost of producing, transporting, refrigerating and storing food.

For me, supermarkets have always been dirt cheap compared to local shops. I paid £12.99 for a pack of cigarettes. £11.60 in the supermarket and was £10.65 earlier this month. That's roughly 100% inflation on cigarettes!
You're either a dreamer or in cohorts with the supermarkets. They are rip-off merchants beyond belief. Their produce is crap. We deserve better quality and at better prices.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:53 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:40 pm
greenmark wrote:
We are being robbed.

You're either a dreamer or in cohorts with the supermarkets. They are rip-off merchants beyond belief. Their produce is crap. We deserve better quality and at better prices.
What product is crap? I'm having Bolognese tonight. £4 for 500 grams of lean, quality minced beef from ASDA. Shopping is like trading, the value trades are my minced beef, the poor value trades are the microwave meals, and the essentials like bread, milk and eggs are Betfair's commission and premium charge that you just have to suck up. :)
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:19 am
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:03 am
I've bunged up my toilet for the second time in succession!!
Another load of sh1t? :lol: :lol: :lol:

(sorry, couldn't turn down the opportunity! :D )
And they're charging me for it!

Screenshot 2023-06-01 152304.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

I love the way my water company put up the price of my water twice this year (20%) without even telling me. They should inform you in advance so you can decide if you still want to buy water!
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:34 pm
I love the way my water company put up the price of my water twice this year (20%) without even telling me. They should inform you in advance so you can decide if you still want to buy water!
I like the way they charge for it then charge you even more for taking it away. :roll: And now the plan is to pay a third time if don't want it just dumped in the river! It rains enough here, the rain is clean (enough). I think it's time to install a bigger water butt and go off mains. :).
Derek27

Is the suspend monkey responsible for settling the market as well? He went to sleep for the Beijing match and still hasn't woken up!
Emmson

The Google Authenticator app is not changing codes after 60 seconds and its happening on primary and backup phones. :evil:
Derek27

Why do supermarkets hide their special offers in a corner nobody will see?

Beer shelf completely stripped of my favourite lagers. I was gonna go somewhere else to get my beer for tomorrow when I stumbled across a 15-pack of Kronenbourg for £12 ..... at the end of the bread shelf!!
Derek27

There's a massive conspiracy against me. Everybody trading the Empoli/Lazio match stopped placing bets for 30 seconds to make me think my internet connection was down.
Derek27

I just greened up when I realised the Swedish Superettan has a 12-second delay. 24 seconds I had to wait, and by the time the bet hit the market the price moved!

Return to “General discussion”