A place to discuss anything.
greenmark

bennyboy351 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:35 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:52 pm
bennyboy351 wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:06 pm

LOL! If you were TRULY British, you would make TEA - not that colonial muck! LOL Happy New Year! :-)
Isn't tea one of THE most colonial products? We wouldn't have it in the UK without colonising India, Ceylon (Sri Lanka). Although, I guess it depends on which nation you are referring to as a coloniser or how you define a coloniser.
Good point! I guess my 'dig' at our American friends preffering Coffee over Tea as the result of a tax row could have been better worded! :-)
I knew far less about this than I thought. Sure enough "America" turned their back on tea. Boston Tea Party etc. But it seems it was British Americans that were most angry about having taxaton imposed on them from over the pond. But it was taxation without representation in the parliament that was imposing the taxation.
Jolly complicated. Ta for prodding me into investigating (well, googling :-)).
Seth

bennyboy351 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:30 pm

The main problem these days, is that too many people know nothing about REAL deprivation!...
And that's a bad thing!!

To be honest the old guy sounds like a right miserable old git if he goes onto some rant about concentration camps everything someone innocently states they're "starving". People are always likely to see things from their own perspective doesn't mean they don't have empathy for others who've had it worse.
jimibt

grrr - the FSA are meddling with Binance now in the same way that Betfair is being meddled with by committee.

Futures, Options and Leverage are no longer available (in the UK). These feckin instruments in various combos, allowed you to hedge your positions and exploit short term fluctuations. feckin well annoyed. thought that migrating from BF to crypto was the holy grail (and was in its previous makeup) - sadly, looks like some folks have done some digging and don't like that the little man was making independent gains..

anyway -rant over -for now!! happy new year all!
Derek27

FFS, log in to my banking website, get distracted by either Kimberley Leonard or news about Prince Andrew, or both, and then two minutes later I'm logged out for inactivity! I'll probably be logged out now for writing this post!!
Derek27

I've just received offers for a McDonald's plant burger, plant-based nuggets and a footlong plant-based sub, FFS!
bennyboy351

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:52 pm
bennyboy351 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:35 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:52 pm

Isn't tea one of THE most colonial products? We wouldn't have it in the UK without colonising India, Ceylon (Sri Lanka). Although, I guess it depends on which nation you are referring to as a coloniser or how you define a coloniser.
Good point! I guess my 'dig' at our American friends preffering Coffee over Tea as the result of a tax row could have been better worded! :-)
I knew far less about this than I thought. Sure enough "America" turned their back on tea. Boston Tea Party etc. But it seems it was British Americans that were most angry about having taxaton imposed on them from over the pond. But it was taxation without representation in the parliament that was imposing the taxation.
Jolly complicated. Ta for prodding me into investigating (well, googling :-)).
"Googling" - By Gad, I remember when we used to "Yahoo" everything! LOL
Derek27

I asked a woman in Lidl where the tissues are. She turned around and said, "Are you talking to me?" :shock: She had a colleague with her but I would have thought it's obvious either of them could answer. Then she asked, what sort of tissues?!! I thought for a few seconds about what different types of tissues there are and then said, the ones you blow your nose with. :lol:
bennyboy351

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:40 pm
I've just received offers for a McDonald's plant burger, plant-based nuggets and a footlong plant-based sub, FFS!
My missus would kill for ANYTHING approaching a foot long! LOL ;-)
jimibt

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:42 pm
I asked a woman in Lidl where the tissues are. She turned around and said, "Are you talking to me?" :shock: She had a colleague with her but I would have thought it's obvious either of them could answer. Then she asked, what sort of tissues?!! I thought for a few seconds about what different types of tissues there are and then said, the ones you blow your nose with. :lol:
phew -relief. it could have been MUCH worse (the requirement for the tissue!!) :D
Derek27

BT had some special offers for TV & broadband that end 4th Jan. Looked again to see what the prices are now and they've gone down, they've also removed their £40 up front cost!!
Derek27

Why don't you hear Sky News apologising for catching bad language when BJ's going in or out of number 10? You'd certainly hear it if I was about, the flipping hypocrite!
Crazyskier

Received a letter from the Halifax. My monthly mortgage repayment is going up by over £45 from next month!!!

This on top of the £90 per month to £138 per month gas and electricity hike a few months ago when my old supplier went bust and British Gas took them over. It's a real blow to the monthly finances.

CS
jimibt

Crazyskier wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:29 pm
Received a letter from the Halifax. My monthly mortgage repayment is going up by over £45 from next month!!!

This on top of the £90 per month to £138 per month gas and electricity hike a few months ago when my old supplier went bust and British Gas took them over. It's a real blow to the monthly finances.

CS
i managed to get a fixed rate interest only mortgage a few years back which is fixed for 10 years. We ended up paying literally £320 a month (which is 80% cheaper than rent for anything similar). it's not for everyone, (and maybe these kind of deals no longer exist), but if you have the means to pay it off at the end of the term, it's a great way to live cheaply.
Derek27

Crazyskier wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:29 pm

CS
Perhaps they've been reading this forum. ;)

My advice is to get away from British Gas as soon as it's practical. They are flipping useless - I once sent an email saying that my bill is incorrect. They replied, "Sorry, you don't have a maintenance contract with us so we can't repair your cooker without charge"!
Derek27

Shut up Boris you idiot!

Return to “General discussion”