RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

Why don't you hear Sky News apologising for catching bad language when BJ's going in or out of number 10? You'd certainly hear it if I was about, the flipping hypocrite!
Crazyskier

Received a letter from the Halifax. My monthly mortgage repayment is going up by over £45 from next month!!!

This on top of the £90 per month to £138 per month gas and electricity hike a few months ago when my old supplier went bust and British Gas took them over. It's a real blow to the monthly finances.

CS
jimibt

Crazyskier wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:29 pm
Received a letter from the Halifax. My monthly mortgage repayment is going up by over £45 from next month!!!

This on top of the £90 per month to £138 per month gas and electricity hike a few months ago when my old supplier went bust and British Gas took them over. It's a real blow to the monthly finances.

CS
i managed to get a fixed rate interest only mortgage a few years back which is fixed for 10 years. We ended up paying literally £320 a month (which is 80% cheaper than rent for anything similar). it's not for everyone, (and maybe these kind of deals no longer exist), but if you have the means to pay it off at the end of the term, it's a great way to live cheaply.
Derek27

Crazyskier wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:29 pm

CS
Perhaps they've been reading this forum. ;)

My advice is to get away from British Gas as soon as it's practical. They are flipping useless - I once sent an email saying that my bill is incorrect. They replied, "Sorry, you don't have a maintenance contract with us so we can't repair your cooker without charge"!
Derek27

Shut up Boris you idiot!
Archery1969

Dont worry I am sure there will be a war in Europe soon and everything else will pale into insignificance!
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:53 pm
Dont worry I am sure there will be a war in Europe soon and everything else will pale into insignificance!
If the UK gets involved in military conflict, BJ will be managing it from the pub.

It's a shame Spitting Image isn't still on, they'd have an endless supply of material!
Derek27

Sky Sports are quick to apologise for inadvertent bad language their microphones catch, but Sky News is happy to broadcast a recording from a member of the public who says BJ doesn't know his arse from his elbow.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:08 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
If the UK gets involved in military conflict, BJ will be managing it from the pub.

It's a shame Spitting Image isn't still on, they'd have an endless supply of material!
I think Putin will invade Ukraine, the EU will impose financial sanctions including Russia being excluding from the Swift International Payment system and then Putin will launch ballistic missles across the EU.

Hopefully I am wrong but he is nuts.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:43 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:08 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

I think Putin will invade Ukraine, the EU will impose financial sanctions including Russia being excluding from the Swift International Payment system and then Putin will launch ballistic missles across the EU.

Hopefully I am wrong but he is nuts.
I think he's a wanker but otherwise, an intelligent man who realises his military can't take on the world. The two things that concern me are firstly, if he is or ever becomes impotent he may see nuclear ballistic missiles as a substitute for a hard-on. Secondly, he might keep changing the law to extend his time in office until he's 90 and senile, in which case he may well start WW3.
Derek27

Christopher Chope MP: Most right-minded people will say we should accept that [BJ's] apology. :lol:
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:56 pm
I think he's a wanker but otherwise, an intelligent man who realises his military can't take on the world. The two things that concern me are firstly, if he is or ever becomes impotent he may see nuclear ballistic missiles as a substitute for a hard-on. Secondly, he might keep changing the law to extend his time in office until he's 90 and senile, in which case he may well start WW3.
There's a lot of anti-Russian and anti-China bias/underreporting in the media. While our 'news' was full of trivia the rest of the world were reasonably pleased with ....(below). It's not exactly total disarmament but I think it's the most positive news for years ...it was all over the radio news but not a mention on TV.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/rus ... 022-01-03/
MOSCOW/WASHINGTON, Jan 3 (Reuters) - China, Russia, Britain, the United States and France have agreed that a further spread of nuclear arms and a nuclear war should be avoided, according to a joint statement by the five nuclear powers published by the Kremlin on Monday.

It said that the five countries - which are the permanent members of the United Nations Security Council - consider it their primary responsibility to avoid war between the nuclear states and to reduce strategic risks, while aiming to work with all countries to create an atmosphere of security.

"We affirm that a nuclear war cannot be won and must never be fought," the English-language version of the statement read.

"As nuclear use would have far-reaching consequences, we also affirm that nuclear weapons — for as long as they continue to exist — should serve defensive purposes, deter aggression, and prevent war."
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:08 am
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:56 pm
There's a lot of anti-Russian and anti-China bias/underreporting in the media. While our 'news' was full of trivia the rest of the world were reasonably pleased with ....(below). It's not exactly total disarmament but I think it's the most positive news for years ...it was all over the radio news but not a mention on TV.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/rus ... 022-01-03/
MOSCOW/WASHINGTON, Jan 3 (Reuters) - China, Russia, Britain, the United States and France have agreed that a further spread of nuclear arms and a nuclear war should be avoided, according to a joint statement by the five nuclear powers published by the Kremlin on Monday.

It said that the five countries - which are the permanent members of the United Nations Security Council - consider it their primary responsibility to avoid war between the nuclear states and to reduce strategic risks, while aiming to work with all countries to create an atmosphere of security.

"We affirm that a nuclear war cannot be won and must never be fought," the English-language version of the statement read.

"As nuclear use would have far-reaching consequences, we also affirm that nuclear weapons — for as long as they continue to exist — should serve defensive purposes, deter aggression, and prevent war."
I have slight reservations about trusting a nation that claims two of their soldiers thought Salisbury cathedral was so exciting they travelled all the way to the UK in their holiday time and attempted two visits (abandoning the first mission because it was raining!), and on the second mission coincidentally walked past Skripal's house, where Novichok was left on the door handle, a substance that's only manufactured in the nation from which they were from.

Same reservations about nations where high-profile sportswomen disappear when they make sexual abuse allegations against high-ranking former government staff, not to mention threats to "nuke" a neighbouring island off the face of the earth. :)
Derek27

When you ask for your cigarettes and they start fumbling about as though they don't have them in stock, it's almost as nerve-racking as a penalty when you've placed your account balance on unders!
Derek27

Andrew Windsor's said to be devastated that the Queen's stripped him of all the titles he didn't earn but was given due to his status. I'm equally devastated that she didn't give them to me. :)

Return to “General discussion”