RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

Left my flipping oven on for over 2 hours. Just as well I realised before I went to bed!
greenmark

BBC journalism, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63923234

"What role did these police have in Floyd’s death?". Over a picture of three police officers.

Am I missing something here? "these police" is so crude a corruption of the subject of the sentence.
Surely, it should be "the police", or "these police officers", or "these individuals that were police officers".
I despair.
Derek27

flipping football hooligans bought all the Heineken!
greenmark

Oh man why are we so thick as a species sometimes. :(

"Search under way after people pulled from icy lake near Birmingham"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-63937739
Derek27

WTF is the point of a press conference when all they've got to say is, we don't have that information at the moment, I'm not aware of fatalities, I'm not prepared to answer that question at this moment in time, I'm not willing to speculate on what happened.....?
andy28

It's natures way of thinning the heard, I mean if your a Zebra and you like wondering off away from the herd you become easy pray for the Lions, thus they take care of the "wondering Gene" that maybe passed onto future generations. However Humans put up signs, fences, all sorts of safety measures to protect idiots form doing dumb things. How do these idiots repay us? They pass on the idiot gene ensuring there is an endless supply of idiots
greenmark

andy28 wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:47 pm
It's natures way of thinning the heard, I mean if your a Zebra and you like wondering off away from the herd you become easy pray for the Lions, thus they take care of the "wondering Gene" that maybe passed onto future generations. However Humans put up signs, fences, all sorts of safety measures to protect idiots form doing dumb things. How do these idiots repay us? They pass on the idiot gene ensuring there is an endless supply of idiots
Existentialists believe exploring the world for yourself is the best way to live. I would say a bit of education would be disproportionately informative.
To simply explain the physics of how ice forms on standing water might save a few lives of the those that are unwisely entrepid.
A lot of these people don't realise that so-called daredevils have thought through and tested the risks that they take.
It's like jumping into a lake in summer assuming there are no nasty objects just below the surface. Or like tombstoning off some coastal cliff becuase you've seen someone else do it and survive.

But perhaps you're right, perhaps it is natural selection at work.
Derek27

flipping 'find' facility on Microsoft Edge is case-sensitive!! No wonder I can never find a piece of text I know's on the page!
Derek27

They were children!
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:33 am
They were children!
They were. All the more reason an adult should have been around them at the time or ideally before to alert them to the risks.
It's a very sad incident.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:30 pm
Derek27 wrote:
They were children!
They were. All the more reason an adult should have been around them at the time or ideally before to alert them to the risks.
You can't follow children around everywhere they go. My brothers and I got up to a lot of mischief. It's just a tragic accident but I'm sure, just like road safety advice, a lot more can be done to educate children.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:35 pm
greenmark wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:30 pm
Derek27 wrote:
They were children!
You can't follow children around everywhere they go. My brothers and I got up to a lot of mischief. It's just a tragic accident but I'm sure, just like road safety advice, a lot more can be done to educate children.
True. I agree but there does have to be some responsibility to educate as these risks manifest. I don't think we've had a freeze like this for a while. An 11-year old wouldn't have the first clue of the risks. The adults around him should and inform him (or her).
Derek27

Why do waiters/waitresses always ask if everything's alright when your mouth is full of food?

She could see I was stuffing my face with breakfast like I hadn't eaten for a week and she asks if the food's alright!
Derek27

Prince Harry's brother screamed and shouted at him!! :shock: :shock:

Can you even imagine the scene? A brother shouting at you!! Next he'll be saying he got a clip around the ear when he was six and now is scarred for life. :roll:
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:51 pm
Prince Harry's brother screamed and shouted at him!! :shock: :shock:

Can you even imagine the scene? A brother shouting at you!! Next he'll be saying he got a clip around the ear when he was six and now is scarred for life. :roll:
Do you suspect a degree of manipulating the media that are so intrusive in their lives? Just a thought.

Return to “General discussion”