RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Lutruwita

Don't quite understand how they can have a price cap of £2800 or whatever it is, for the nation when the individual areas have different rates, but those rates look pretty similar to me. Just say gas is between 7.28 and 7.48 pence per kWh and electricity is 27.09 and 29.63 pence.
Hang on. How are electricity prices so high in the UK?

We don't have gas, only electricity. Our bill for the last 12 months was A$1,700 (family of 4) and we used 7,595 kWh of electricity. So I basically paid A$0.22c per kWh (12.4 pence). Apparently that is increasing by 5% for the next financial year. If I wasn't moving house I'd install insulation in the roof for comfort and to save on ducted heating bills which are more expensive to run than conventional heat pumps.
Derek27

Aarondewit wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:33 am
Don't quite understand how they can have a price cap of £2800 or whatever it is, for the nation when the individual areas have different rates, but those rates look pretty similar to me. Just say gas is between 7.28 and 7.48 pence per kWh and electricity is 27.09 and 29.63 pence.

We don't have gas, only electricity. Our bill for the last 12 months was A$1,700 (family of 4) and we used 7,595 kWh of electricity. So I basically paid A$0.22c per kWh (12.4 pence). Apparently that is increasing by 5% for the next financial year. If I wasn't moving house I'd install insulation in the roof for comfort and to save on ducted heating bills which are more expensive to run than conventional heat pumps.
My current price for electricity is 16.938 pence per kWh, but that will be more than doubling next month, along with the standard charge going up. As much as I'd like to blame it all on Putin, the cost of wholesale gas was rising rapidly, long before that idiot invaded Ukraine, so the situation is probably more complex.

I didn't even realize you needed heating in Australia. How cold does it get in the winter?
Lutruwita

Derek27 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:56 am
Aarondewit wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:33 am

My current price for electricity is 16.938 pence per kWh, but that will be more than doubling next month, along with the standard charge going up. As much as I'd like to blame it all on Putin, the cost of wholesale gas was rising rapidly, long before that idiot invaded Ukraine, so the situation is probably more complex.

I didn't even realize you needed heating in Australia. How cold does it get in the winter?
Makes sense. Yes, Australian houses are notorious for being poorly built and are often referred to as 'glorified tents'. I live in the southernmost part of Australia, though, where winter temperatures are 3 - 13 degrees Celsius. Conversely, we don't need to use air conditioning. But even on the mainland most of Australia where people actually live would require some heating.
Derek27

Derek27 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 4:52 am
Cook for 2 minutes a side if it's a thin fillet!!

FFS, how many millimetres is thin???
It didn't matter in the end, that salmon recipe was flipping awful!
Georget79

jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:36 am
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:07 am
jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:41 am
You'll have to give me an example because I disagree, a Servant can place a bet whenever you want wherever you want at the touch of a button. The only limitation to Servants is the master.
I decide to place a lay bet of £50 at 1.77 on a particular selection. How would pressing a button indicate the stake, price, polarity and selection?
jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:41 am
I'm not getting involved with my thoughts on the Royals, it had me in hot water last time.
Good idea. :)
I came across some trader on Twitter the other day, Carl I think his name was, never heard of him before but through someone commenting on one of his posts he popped up on my Twitter. Out of curiosity I went to take a peek at his Twitter and it turns out he's an inplay trader that offers courses... at this point I've just had to dig a little deeper, my curiosity is too overwhelming.

Anyway, I've ended up at his website and it says enter your email address for a free video... I COULD NOT RESIST, I had to get it. The video came through and I spent some time watching it a few times, in this particular video he was trading the off and laying a horse that started poorly. One thing I'd noticed, well he explained was that he'd got his ladders in order of the stalls not price which I think is a really good idea. So the race started and in stall 8 the horse reared and got off to a slow start... at this point he's scrambling with his mouse to get to the stall 8 ladder. Unfortunately he's using another software but imagine how much of an advantage to him it would be to just press something like alt 8. His entire process was structured but he missed out on the better prices through scrambling with his mouse.

He actually makes a comment in the video of how he was unusually slow there and missed the best prices.
I came across him too. Do you know if he is legit? His courses look good, but expensive.
Derek27

Purchased all the ingredients for a steak recipe. £5.50 for the rib-eyed steak. £3.25 for a bottle of balsamic vinegar, even though I only need a "splash" of it. £1.70 for a pack of muscovado sugar, even though I only need a level teaspoon and probably won't need any more for the rest of my natural life. It would have been cheaper to visit a steakhouse and have it cooked for me!
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:21 am
£3.25 for a bottle of balsamic vinegar, even though I only need a "splash" of it.
Balsamic lasts for ever. There's a tradition in these parts for making bramble or raspberry vinegar (put sugar and fruit in vinegar and leave it)... After a few years it starts to thicken, eventually to a jelly. It tastes EXACTLY like expensive balsamic, we keep forgetting to make more but we've got bottles from 2007 & 2011 in the cupboard and one I 'inhereted' that says 1995 on the label! It's bloody nectar, really complex flavour. I'm just imagining what the health and safety police would think of a label that said consume within 30yrs of opening :) I never have more than a teaspoon of that because I never want it to run out!

...a 'rant' angle...if it was Italian instead of from Lincolnshire all the top chefs would go nuts about it. It's bad enough we didn't get appellation contrôlée for our sausages and stuffed chine. :roll:
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:38 am
Derek27 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:21 am
£3.25 for a bottle of balsamic vinegar, even though I only need a "splash" of it.
Balsamic lasts for ever. There's a tradition in these parts for making bramble or raspberry vinegar (put sugar and fruit in vinegar and leave it)... After a few years it starts to thicken, eventually to a jelly. It tastes EXACTLY like expensive balsamic, we keep forgetting to make more but we've got bottles from 2007 & 2011 in the cupboard and one I 'inhereted' that says 1995 on the label! It's bloody nectar, really complex flavour. I'm just imagining what the health and safety police would think of a label that said consume within 30yrs of opening :) I never have more than a teaspoon of that because I never want it to run out!

...a 'rant' angle...if it was Italian instead of from Lincolnshire all the top chefs would go nuts about it. It's bad enough we didn't get appellation contrôlée for our sausages and stuffed chine. :roll:
That's good to know. As it turned out I'm too pissed to cook. I'll chuck a pizza in the oven and cook the steak tomorrow. It won't keep 30 years. ;)

I've never understood what these "21-day-aged" steaks are all about. You'd think they'd go off after 21 days, or should I "age" my steak for 21 days before cooking it? :lol:
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:38 am
It's bad enough we didn't get appellation contrôlée for our sausages and stuffed chine. :roll:
Sorry Shaun, but when it comes to sausages, I'm more of a Cumberland man. ;)
Derek27

Last week on Question Time, just days away from June, one guy was complaining he had to skip meals to keep his heating on. Today somebody complains about the price of chocolate!!
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 1:57 pm
Last week on Question Time, just days away from June, one guy was complaining he had to skip meals to keep his heating on. Today somebody complains about the price of chocolate!!
Might be the same bloke! Poor fella might starve before he freezes to death.

Show some compassion Derek!! :D
Derek27

Burger King has just sent me an offer "fit for a queen". What are they trying to say? I doubt the Queen will be popping into BK for a Chicken Royale!
Derek27

People are panicking about having to pay £100 to fill-up their petrol tank, but they're not worried about prices going up to £98. :roll:
alexmr2

Derek27 wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 12:04 pm
People are panicking about having to pay £100 to fill-up their petrol tank, but they're not worried about prices going up to £98. :roll:
8.6 backers aren't worried until the price drifts over the crossover at 10
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 12:04 pm
Typical news 'stat'. How big is the tank? Filled mine the other day and it was £125. Been over 100 for ages cos it holds about 85L. And the only people this is 'news' for is people who don't have a car so it's not even a thing for them. Nothing's gonna get me down today though, my digger arrived this morning. :D (so spent half the morning on YouTube trying to figure out how to swap the bucket and still keep all my fingers!).. And on fuel, not allowed to fill them with red diesel since March 22, thanks Rishi, every little hurts.

Return to “General discussion”