RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

Crazyskier wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:02 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:00 pm
Just been down the supermarket. They're flipping shut, on Easter Sunday of all days!
Well Derek, it does happen to be one of the most important celebrations of the year (Christ's resurrection 2021 years ago)!
He was 3-years-old 2021 years ago. :)
alexmr2

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:33 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
Well Derek, it does happen to be one of the most important celebrations of the year (Christ's resurrection 2021 years ago)!
I don't doubt this Jesus fella existed, I just don't believe his mum's story about getting knocked up by a ghost. And if it happened to your missus I doubt you'd believe it either. Bible 2 had some ok little stories about how it's good to be nice, but ffs if you look at Bible 1 it's got a shed load of pretty repulsive attitudes no decent person could subscribe to.
What if Mary and Joseph traded pre-off camel racing for a living but when they got to PC3 they could no longer make enough money to fund their lifestyle, or maybe Bill Gates stole their edge? They might have decided to make up a story about an angel telling them that they would have the son of god as it was the first celestial being that came to mind, named after the Bet Angel software they used to trade with. Or is it just a coincidence that it was an angel?
ShaunWhite

alexmr2 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:53 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Crazyskier wrote:
I don't doubt this Jesus fella existed, I just don't believe his mum's story about getting knocked up by a ghost. And if it happened to your missus I doubt you'd believe it either. Bible 2 had some ok little stories about how it's good to be nice, but ffs if you look at Bible 1 it's got a shed load of pretty repulsive attitudes no decent person could subscribe to.
What if Mary and Joseph traded pre-off camel racing for a living but when they got to PC3 they could no longer make enough money to fund their lifestyle, or maybe Bill Gates stole their edge? They might have decided to make up a story about an angel telling them that they would have the son of god as it was the first celestial being that came to mind, named after the Bet Angel software they used to trade with. Or is it just a coincidence that it was an angel?
My comments may have used 21st century vernacular but they were my opinions on the books and CS would hopefully say I was entitled to them as I'd say he was entitled to his. Derek's observation that the story wasn't set 2021 yrs ago was also fair enough. To say I'm not a CS fan would be an understatement but I don't think it's fair to simply take the p1ss out of him with one of your comic flights of fancy.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:34 am
alexmr2 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:53 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:

My comments may have used 21st century vernacular but they were my opinions on the books and CS would hopefully say I was entitled to them as I'd say he was entitled to his. Derek's observation that the story wasn't set 2021 yrs ago was also fair enough. To say I'm not a CS fan would be an understatement but I don't think it's fair to simply take the p1ss out of him with one of your comic flights of fancy.
Well done for making sense out of that post! My keyboard attracts my fingers like a magnet whenever I'm reading a post from Alex, but I was at a complete loss with that one. :)
Crazyskier

ShaunWhite wrote:
Crazyskier wrote:
It might be for a minority of people but for the substantial majority its a pain in the arse. I don't doubt this Jesus fella existed, I just don't believe his mum's story about getting knocked up by a ghost. And if it happened to your missus I doubt you'd believe it either. Bible 2 had some ok little stories about how it's good to be nice, but ffs if you look at Bible 1 it's got a shed load of pretty repulsive attitudes no decent person could subscribe to.

Until recently you were the only person on my block list because you were unbearably hateful, intolerant and nasty. I'm not sure you've understood the messages in the Bible stories one little bit. Deeds not words CS.
Really? Well 'm flabbergasted as to how one could arrive at that conclusion, particularly as I aspire to the opposite, with many charitable and unpaid works and donations as regards 'deeds'. My only 'intolerance' is towards something that some Western nations have recently legalised but remains outlawed in much of the Commonwealth, and rightly so in my view. I think sometimes the context of posts can be taken out of meaning, in isolation. Anyway Happy Easter.

CS
Crazyskier

greenmark wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:36 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:00 pm
Just been down the supermarket. They're flipping shut, on Easter Sunday of all days!

I can remember when shops closed EVERY Sunday to allow the faithful to worship. And every school had the Lord's Prayer in assembly. And the Boy's Brigade and Scouts actually taught Christian values of charity, honesty, and respecting one's elders, etc etc.

Almost everyone had a father to discipline them in the 70s and 80s, and those juvenile delinquents that still committed crimes were actually given proper punishments at borstal, with no excuses and playing the victim as we see so often nowadays. People were actually responsible for their actions, and feared the long arm of the law.

How times change. And not for the better...

CS
"Almost everyone had a father to discipline them in the 70s and 80s"
Really? I would describe that as complete BS, not remotely true. I was there.:-)
The stats don't lie. The percentage of children born in wedlock was infinitely higher than at present. It's been declining steadily since the 60s, sadly. As have the standards of discipline and respect by our youth generally, in my view.

CS
greenmark

Crazyskier wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:00 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:36 pm
Crazyskier wrote:

I can remember when shops closed EVERY Sunday to allow the faithful to worship. And every school had the Lord's Prayer in assembly. And the Boy's Brigade and Scouts actually taught Christian values of charity, honesty, and respecting one's elders, etc etc.

Almost everyone had a father to discipline them in the 70s and 80s, and those juvenile delinquents that still committed crimes were actually given proper punishments at borstal, with no excuses and playing the victim as we see so often nowadays. People were actually responsible for their actions, and feared the long arm of the law.

CS
"Almost everyone had a father to discipline them in the 70s and 80s"
Really? I would describe that as complete BS, not remotely true. I was there.:-)
The stats don't lie. The percentage of children born in wedlock was infinitely higher than at present. It's been declining steadily since the 60s, sadly. As have the standards of discipline and respect by our youth generally, in my view.

CS
OK, you're right on the stats, I was wrong. 8.3% of births out of wedlock in 1970, 48.5% in 2019. Not sure what difference being born in wedlock or not makes though. Given the huge change, statistically, if it really mattered wouldn't we see serious social impact?
Anyhow, thought it was worth admitting my error. And for completeness, apologise for describing your (accurate) comment as BS. I'm beginning to make a habit of apologising on this forum. Shucks! :-)
Derek27

Stop playing that flipping annoying music at half-time, the crowd will go home!!
greenmark

:-) 2 days last week it was 20C. Its currently snowing here. Completely bonkers. Maybe our weather is why we're a bit nutty.
Derek27

Defence barrister got Derek Chauvin mixed up with Derek Trotter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: I might be next!! :o
Last edited by Derek27 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:05 pm
:-) 2 days last week it was 20C. Its currently snowing here. Completely bonkers. Maybe our weather is why we're a bit nutty.
Sleet/snow and sunshine where I am, all at the same time. It's getting quite normal now but April has always been the month when you experience all four seasons in a week, sometimes the same day!
alexmr2

Crazyskier wrote:

CS
An interesting thought is how will the next generation of generally undisciplined kids cope as traders? Will they have the motivation to put in the effort it takes to succeed if they are so used to having everything handed to them on a plate?

It seems as though instant gratification is becoming more embedded into people's minds compared to the past;

Buy something from Amazon it comes the next day
Order a takeaway on an app without leaving the house
Meet people on dating apps as opposed to putting in a lot of effort
Finish a degree and expect to earn a big salary off the bat

Even though I'm a late millenial, a lot has changed even since I was younger. I've heard that in the past kids would be lucky to get an apple for Christmas now a lot seem to get phones and games consoles worth a whole week of their parents' wages.

If this is the case then I might have a better chance of succeeding in the markets :lol:
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:38 pm
greenmark wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:05 pm
Sleet/snow and sunshine where I am, all at the same time. It's getting quite normal now but April has always been the month when you experience all four seasons in a week, sometimes the same day!
Perhaps, but 20C to snow is bizarre. Hey, I've lived in the UK a long time. Hail in May, another year, sitting outside a pub because it was too hot inside, and the sweat beading on my arms. I guess we have the ultimate in temperate climates. Maybe the only problem is with our benign climate we are completely unprepared for extreme events. An odd conundrum.
ShaunWhite

alexmr2 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:34 pm
If this is the case then I might have a better chance of succeeding in the markets :lol:
Young people are as varied as they used to be, depends if you get your impression of them from TikTok or university challenge.

Trading is getting harder not easier, a few who try are get-rich-quick mechants who won't do the hours, but there's an increasing number of very highly educated people who know how to graft. Take a look at the jobs the syndicates offer as a visible example, you won't get through the door without a good degree or more. This forum isn't the whole trading world alex, far from it, there's a lot of people doing serious stuff out there. How's your doctorate in statistics going?
ShaunWhite

greenmark wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:26 pm
we are completely unprepared for extreme events.
I love what us feable animals call extremes, 20 degrees either way and we're struggling. Just wait until climate collapse causes the extremes other planets experience. You'll be wondering if Easter will be melting the iron pub table or battering you with methane hail.

Return to “General discussion”