A place to discuss anything.
ShaunWhite

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:49 pm
jimibt wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:27 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:15 pm
I've just dug up a few inches of turf in a little circle to make a flower bed. Filled a bag with the turf. Instead of having a hollow in the lawn, as one would expect, I've got a flipping mountain of soil! Where did it come from?

Anyone would think I've buried the cat. :lol:
btw -anyone seen shaun lately?? ;)
maybe that's why Derek has a mountain of soil in his lawn!!
:D Call off the sniffer dogs, take down the incident tape.

Sounds like Derek needs to dig a hole to put that pile of soil in. Or use it as the start of a decent compost heap. Sheep doings is good, horse muck is even better, maybe cat business could be the new horticultural miracle ingredient :?
Derek27

Terrible nightmare last night. I tried to close for a £5 loss but the market kept running away from me. Ended up losing £250. I was later being eaten alive by hyenas!
gazuty

When one prepares a rant post about how one has been banned by various bookies and then one of the bookies one is not banned from merges with a bookie one is banned from and one has the grand total of $150 locked in the account and then one goes to press submit one loses the post.
Derek27

Burger King keeps sending me vouchers when none of their flipping restaurants near me are open. :x
darchas

I can't help but feel that the amount of pubs closing is a significant loss to our culture. I remember not too many years ago, me and a mate had a project to drink in every pub in our area, in a decent sized northern town and surrounding area we easily smashed 150 pubs before it started to get hard work with travelling and what not. Now, i don't know what % of those pubs are still open but it's a pretty low amount.

There's something about community, something about spaces just to go and chat, something about a shared experience, that's disappearing. I don't know. I think of religion sometimes, I'm not a religious person, but there's something about having a common language, a grammar, a way to frame experience that's understood, doesn't matter what it is, it's just a way to speak about things, a way in.

Anyway, just rambling really with some half-formed thoughts.
LeTiss

Same as me. My hometown is Totton in Southampton. When I was a young lad we had a pub crawl of 14 pubs, There is now only 9 and a further 2 are currently up for sale
darchas

LeTiss wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:57 pm
Same as me. My hometown is Totton in Southampton. When I was a young lad we had a pub crawl of 14 pubs, There is now only 9 and a further 2 are currently up for sale
My grandma used to run a working man's club. Used to absolutely love summer holidays spent helping her out in the cellar, ironing the snooker tables, putting on 'shows' on the stage for the lunchtime regulars. The whole place had a camaraderie about it, the same blokes playing crown green bowls, snooker, darts, buying me and my sister pop and crisps or giving us some change for the bandit. Maybe I'm just getting old, but just doesn't seem to be that equivalent sort of space these days.
gazuty

darchas wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:10 pm
My grandma used to run a working man's club. Used to absolutely love summer holidays spent helping her out in the cellar, ironing the snooker tables, putting on 'shows' on the stage for the lunchtime regulars. The whole place had a camaraderie about it, the same blokes playing crown green bowls, snooker, darts, buying me and my sister pop and crisps or giving us some change for the bandit. Maybe I'm just getting old, but just doesn't seem to be that equivalent sort of space these days.
Nice story.

Men, blokes, gentlemen (whatever) had places to hang out. The rich had clubs with chesterfields lounges, jackets and cigars; the working man had a few card tables, snooker tables and maybe a pay phone to an SP bookie etc. Some men grouped together at sport, others at church.

Women had women's associations, mother's groups, the salon, bridge clubs, tuck shops etc.

The society just referenced resulted in a "patriacharcal" society that was mysogynistic (racist, homophobic, islamophobic and transphobic ) and had to be socially engineered away - the State must be in control of all aspects of an individuals life and most importantly thougts. You see, if humans organise their own lives and have their own friends it will result in people being mildly happy and having brief moments of joy (like when a bird with a great set leans forward just that little bit further as she pours you a pint and smiles at you - and you know that she knows exactly what you are thinking and she enjoys it and you enjoy it - that kind of spontaneous human flirting and platonic enjoyment of beauty is "wrong" in modern progressive society). We now have to raise taxes (and borrow) to fund "mental health" initiatives for young men and old men. We need to find a pathway for all those psychology and sociology graduates to tell us what is mentally wrong with us and then tell us how to live our lives in a way that they consider not offensive to any other person. (I'm glad this is in rant corner).
firlandsfarm

darchas wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:34 pm
I can't help but feel that the amount of pubs closing is a significant loss to our culture. I remember not too many years ago, me and a mate had a project to drink in every pub in our area, in a decent sized northern town and surrounding area we easily smashed 150 pubs before it started to get hard work with travelling and what not. Now, i don't know what % of those pubs are still open but it's a pretty low amount.

There's something about community, something about spaces just to go and chat, something about a shared experience, that's disappearing. I don't know. I think of religion sometimes, I'm not a religious person, but there's something about having a common language, a grammar, a way to frame experience that's understood, doesn't matter what it is, it's just a way to speak about things, a way in.

Anyway, just rambling really with some half-formed thoughts.
Fully agree and there was another use for pubs they were navigation aids! If someone asked for directions you would say … go past the Rose and Crown and take the 2nd left … turn right at the Kings Head and you'll find it about 300 yards after The Bull! I lived in south London and that was the easiest way when pubs were plentiful and satnav hadn't been invented. They were king-pins of the locality.
Trader Pat

My local McDonalds out of milkshakes! :cry:

I wasn't impressed, I asked the lady at the drive-thru how can McDonalds be out of milkshakes?! I told her when I get home the first thing I'm going to do is go on the Bet Angel forum and put this travesty in the rant corner! Whats the world coming to!
spreadbetting

gazuty wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:48 pm
........... (like when a bird with a great set leans forward just that little bit further as she pours you a pint and smiles at you - and you know that she knows exactly what you are thinking and she enjoys it and you enjoy it - that kind of spontaneous human flirting and platonic enjoyment of beauty is "wrong" in modern progressive society). ---

She's gagging for it, gazuty, what sort of bird doesn't like a few old men staring at her knockers other than lessas and they just need a good shag to set them right. Might dig out my rose tinted glassses after racing and see if i can't round up a posse to clear out some immigrants, heard those bastards are stealing our jobs.
Trader Pat

spreadbetting wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:46 pm
gazuty wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:48 pm
........... (like when a bird with a great set leans forward just that little bit further as she pours you a pint and smiles at you - and you know that she knows exactly what you are thinking and she enjoys it and you enjoy it - that kind of spontaneous human flirting and platonic enjoyment of beauty is "wrong" in modern progressive society). ---

She's gagging for it, gazuty, what sort of bird doesn't like a few old men staring at her knockers other than lessas and they just need a good shag to set them right. Might dig out my rose tinted glassses after racing and see if i can't round up a posse to clear out some immigrants, heard those bastards are stealing our jobs.
Count me in SB, those f'#kers are stealing our milkshakes too! While we're at it lets sort out those immigrants who do the jobs the natives wont do, they really get on my tits!
Derek27

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:21 pm

I wasn't impressed, I asked the lady at the drive-thru how can McDonalds be out of milkshakes?! I told her when I get home the first thing I'm going to do is go on the Bet Angel forum and put this travesty in the rant corner! Whats the world coming to!
They have a sign up saying they're on reduced service including the menu. You should be kind to shop staff. :)

I was tempted to get a milkshake from McDonald's, photograph and post it but I don't like milkshakes. They probably contain more calories then my average meal.
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:36 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:21 pm

They have a sign up saying they're on reduced service including the menu. You should be kind to shop staff. :)

I was tempted to get a milkshake from McDonald's, photograph and post it but I don't like milkshakes. They probably contain more calories then my average meal.
:D

In fairness I still havent forgiven them for taking ice cream sundae's off the menu and replacing them with McCrappy's
gazuty

One of the many reasons why people hate bookmakers - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/racing/ ... 55vb5.html

Lady wins monster bet $1.4 million, fine print caps payout at $250k.

Return to “General discussion”