RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:53 pm
... the monarchy, which has absolutely no place in the 21st century.
On what do you base that?
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:58 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:53 pm
... the monarchy, which has absolutely no place in the 21st century.
On what do you base that?
Common sense, the same basis that we no longer burn women accused of witchcraft.

Do you think BJ's son should automatically become PM and rule the nation? Do you think Prince Andrew, if he ever became king, should be above the law and immune to prosecution?
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:01 pm
Common sense, the same basis that we no longer burn women accused of witchcraft.

Do you think BJ's son should automatically become PM and rule the nation? Do you think Prince Andrew, if he ever became king, should be above the law and immune to prosecution?
I call it more like envy and jealousy for we are never equal ... we are all born into unequal environments and remain unequal until death. That's why communism fails, it's impossible to achieve.

I can see no connection between the issue of an elected official and the monarchy, they are on completely different career paths. I see our monarchy as the greatest ambassadors of any country in the world and cannot see why some should want to throw away that advantage though I agree it's a very British thing to do ... it's unsporting to take advantage of your advantage. The monarchy does nobody harm, indeed they further our role in the world and by doing so they benefit everyone in the UK.

We have inherited one of the most respected and greatest political and ambassadorial assets in the world working for us and all some want to do is throw it away but I guess that we have goes against the thinking of those wanting to ban the principle of inheritance.

I assume as you are so against the principle of inheritance you would agree with the whole of your estate going to charity or the state on your demise? :)
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:49 am
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:01 pm

I call it more like envy and jealousy for we are never equal ... we are all born into unequal environments and remain unequal until death. That's why communism fails, it's impossible to achieve.

I can see no connection between the issue of an elected official and the monarchy, they are on completely different career paths. I see our monarchy as the greatest ambassadors of any country in the world and cannot see why some should want to throw away that advantage though I agree it's a very British thing to do ... it's unsporting to take advantage of your advantage. The monarchy does nobody harm, indeed they further our role in the world and by doing so they benefit everyone in the UK.

We have inherited one of the most respected and greatest political and ambassadorial assets in the world working for us and all some want to do is throw it away but I guess that we have goes against the thinking of those wanting to ban the principle of inheritance.

I assume as you are so against the principle of inheritance you would agree with the whole of your estate going to charity or the state on your demise? :)
People who are jealous of the royals are only looking at the money and not the endless events/tours, privacy issues, etc. The monarchy has done plenty of harm. The Duke of Edinburgh ran somebody over with his car, whilst not legally immune to prosecution he wouldn't have had the same fear of the law as ordinary people, and didn't Queen Mary burn hundreds of protestants at the stake?

You're pretty narrow-minded if you can't understand why people want to get rid of it. If you're going to represent the country you get elected, you don't inherit positions like that. I just wish Prince Andrew was the oldest and became the next king. That would highlight how pathetic and outdated the setup is.
alexmr2

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:28 pm
flipping cat threw up all over my shoes by the foot of my bed shortly after I jumped into bed last night. Then she buggers off to the living room and leaves me with the smell all night!!

I'll at least credit her for jumping off the bed before chucking up.
I would say that's your fault for feeding her too much or something that induced the nausea
Derek27

alexmr2 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:08 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:28 pm
flipping cat threw up all over my shoes by the foot of my bed shortly after I jumped into bed last night. Then she buggers off to the living room and leaves me with the smell all night!!

I'll at least credit her for jumping off the bed before chucking up.
I would say that's your fault for feeding her too much or something that induced the nausea
You've obviously never had a cat. Cats throw up due to hot weather, eating moths, furballs, etc. It's not what you feed them.
Derek27

There's no flipping beer in the supermarket!!!
darchas

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:13 pm
Asda was battered too
Derek27

darchas wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:17 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Asda was battered too
Yeah, that's where I went. I'll have to try Lidl or Aldi tomorrow. Why can't football hooligans make their purchases in advance? It's not as if they didn't know the match is on!
weemac

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:02 pm
darchas wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
Asda was battered too
Why can't football hooligans make their purchases in advance?
Why didn't you?

Hooligans 1 Derek 0
Derek27

weemac wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:35 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:02 pm
darchas wrote:

Asda was battered too
Why can't football hooligans make their purchases in advance?
Why didn't you?

Hooligans 1 Derek 0
I did, but I drank it all on Wednesday, when they had already run out.
weemac

So the hooligans showed better planning and more restraint?

2-0
Trader Pat

I'll send you a few crates Derek

Because Ireland didn't qualify for this Euro's, beer is at a surplus here.. its nearly as cheap as oil was last year! :D
Crazyskier

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:54 pm
alexmr2 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:09 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:01 pm

with your Christian crucifix around your neck
Some of us believe in the immune system that God gave us over the forbidden fruit that the snake (WHO logo) is trying to tempt us with
What the fuck has that comment got to do with the Queen, the monarchy, Christianity, homosexuality or anything else we were discussing???

Don't flipping say Christian - God - immune system (that he's given us) - snake (as a reference to the bible) - WHO logo!
That potty mouth and repressed anger does you no good Derek. I suggest some yoga or a nature walk in the countryside with loved ones and some deep breathing. God's love and beauty are all around us, whether or not you choose to have faith.

If you can find a way to open your heart and mind, even a little bit, I'm sure you'll feel better. You don't need to believe anything you don't want to, but a tiny bit of faith in something bigger that oneself, or at least the acceptance of the possibility - will work wonders for your sense of self and your place in this turbulent world.I can only hope that you find some inner peace and a sense of calm and tranquility.

As regards Her Majesty the Queen, She is the head of the United Kingdom, the Commonwealth nations, and the Church of England. She remains an inspiration to us all in terms of her dignity, selflessness and devotion to duty. God save the Queen!

CS
Derek27

Crazyskier wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:56 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:54 pm
alexmr2 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:09 pm

Some of us believe in the immune system that God gave us over the forbidden fruit that the snake (WHO logo) is trying to tempt us with
What the fuck has that comment got to do with the Queen, the monarchy, Christianity, homosexuality or anything else we were discussing???

Don't flipping say Christian - God - immune system (that he's given us) - snake (as a reference to the bible) - WHO logo!
That potty mouth and repressed anger does you no good Derek. I suggest some yoga or a nature walk in the countryside with loved ones and some deep breathing. God's love and beauty are all around us, whether or not you choose to have faith.

If you can find a way to open your heart and mind, even a little bit, I'm sure you'll feel better. You don't need to believe anything you don't want to, but a tiny bit of faith in something bigger that oneself, or at least the acceptance of the possibility - will work wonders for your sense of self and your place in this turbulent world.I can only hope that you find some inner peace and a sense of calm and tranquility.

As regards Her Majesty the Queen, She is the head of the United Kingdom, the Commonwealth nations, and the Church of England. She remains an inspiration to us all in terms of her dignity, selflessness and devotion to duty. God save the Queen!

CS
You can't blame me for getting irritated with Alex for trying to relate anything you say to the covid crisis.

As for Her Majesty ( :lol: ), she's the head of state for the UK, just like BJ's the lead politician in the UK. Doesn't mean I have to respect him but it does mean I have to respect he's been fairly elected and respect the wishes of the people. You can't say the same about the queen.

If I had to write a list of the world's most inspiring people, the queen may be somewhere on it, but I doubt very high up. I'm afraid you can only speak for yourself about who inspires you.

I've no issue with people being fans of the royals, choose who you want to admire but don't tell other people who we should respect - that's up to each individual.

Return to “General discussion”