RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:43 am
Minus 5 degrees!
A balmy 2 to -3 in Kyiv today. Sub-zero to -4 for the next few days.
Derek27

I can't believe the size of my new phone. I'll need a flipping briefcase to carry it around!
Emmson

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:20 pm
I can't believe the size of my new phone. I'll need a flipping briefcase to carry it around!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJezRcy2P8g
Derek27

Emmson wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:28 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:20 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJezRcy2P8g
:lol: :lol:

I've left my phone in the garden for now.

solar-panels-151541185456U.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

Booted up my phone. It installed 17 apps, now I have to uninstall them all. :x
Derek27

flipping idiot delivered a book through my letterbox and then pressed my doorbell to get me out of bed to read it!!
weemac

One is delighted to hear that one can take one's empty Remy Martin decanter to a Louis X111 boutique where, in a personalised ceremony, the decanter will be re-filled. You see, it's all part of Remy's "infinite circularity" project, which lies at the heart of its quest for "The Sustainable Exception".

Infinite circularity? Yes, they re-use bottles. Forever.

And it seems we'll have to live with all this guff. Forever.
ShaunWhite

weemac wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:27 pm
One is delighted to hear that one can take one's empty Remy Martin decanter to a Louis X111 boutique where, in a personalised ceremony, the decanter will be re-filled. You see, it's all part of Remy's "infinite circularity" project, which lies at the heart of its quest for "The Sustainable Exception".

Infinite circularity? Yes, they re-use bottles. Forever.

And it seems we'll have to live with all this guff. Forever.
Big deal, our milkman does that. If Remy Martin wanted to impress me they'd have to come round on an electric "cognac float" and bring me some cheese at the same time.

I wonder what the carbon footprint of a virtue signal is these days?
weemac

Remy's CEO said: "We want to reduce our carbon emissions per bottle from 2kg to 1kg by 2030". (My eyebrows fair hit the ceiling at that one.)

But how, one wonders? Well, through "circular initiatives which mark the beginning of a collective journey, undertaken hand in hand with stakeholders. In order to achieve this, rethinking our glass bottles through an active eco-design approach and increasing their circularity in different formats are key levers."

Simples, innit?
Derek27

I made two calls to Sky today. They both said they'd send me a text so I can rate them from 0 to 10. The first jokingly said, select zero if you want me to queue up at the job centre. At least I thought it was a joke. The second told me anything less than 9 would mean I'm not happy and 9 or 10 would help further her career - she was almost begging me to give her a good rating.

Wish I met them in person, I could ask them out for a drink to discuss their rating. :D
aperson

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:13 pm
I made two calls to Sky today. They both said they'd send me a text so I can rate them from 0 to 10. The first jokingly said, select zero if you want me to queue up at the job centre. At least I thought it was a joke. The second told me anything less than 9 would mean I'm not happy and 9 or 10 would help further her career - she was almost begging me to give her a good rating.

Wish I met them in person, I could ask them out for a drink to discuss their rating. :D
Had that same 9 or 10 thing from 2 separate Sky engineers. The whole ratings thing in general just seems skewed nowadays. So many films, restaurants, hotels etc are full of either 1 or 5 star reviews and they are rarely either. 9 or 10 in my mind would be reserved for exceptional service. A 7 in my mind is still pretty solid, but if people are going to get disciplinaries if you don't rate them that high then you're kind of stuck. It's not some minimum wage workers fault their employers are rating their work based on such skewed scales.
Derek27

aperson wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:34 am
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:13 pm

Had that same 9 or 10 thing from 2 separate Sky engineers. The whole ratings thing in general just seems skewed nowadays. So many films, restaurants, hotels etc are full of either 1 or 5 star reviews and they are rarely either. 9 or 10 in my mind would be reserved for exceptional service. A 7 in my mind is still pretty solid, but if people are going to get disciplinaries if you don't rate them that high then you're kind of stuck. It's not some minimum wage workers fault their employers are rating their work based on such skewed scales.
The rant I had about idiots who can't figure out how to set a clock is a good example. Why trust people like them to decide on an employee's career prospects? Sometimes the frustration of not getting something to work will steer people straight to the bottom ranking. Guiding somebody who's not technically adept through a Windows or Android solution can be extremely difficult, and as you say, most people wouldn't regard 8 as not happy.
foxwood

Seems widespread - had an email survey about a main dealer car service I had the other week which demanded ...

"In the survey you are asked to mark us on a scale of 0 to 10, 9 and 10 are positive and 0 to 8 are negative. If you feel you cannot score us a 9 or 10 then please contact either xxx or yyy to discuss your reasons."

They did a good job - provided a great loaner - I gave them 8 - ridiculous understanding of ratings whoever sets these target levels. To my mind 5 represents "exactly as expected"
Derek27

foxwood wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:15 pm
Seems widespread - had an email survey about a main dealer car service I had the other week which demanded ...

"In the survey you are asked to mark us on a scale of 0 to 10, 9 and 10 are positive and 0 to 8 are negative. If you feel you cannot score us a 9 or 10 then please contact either xxx or yyy to discuss your reasons."

They did a good job - provided a great loaner - I gave them 8 - ridiculous understanding of ratings whoever sets these target levels. To my mind 5 represents "exactly as expected"
That's what my two girls should have said. If you can't give a 9 or 10 meet me for a drink to discuss the ranking. :D

Normally I just ignore surveys. In a typical day you could have 5 or 6 surveys to do, but we've now reached a ludicrous situation where somebody's career prospects depend on it.
weemac

On accommodation sites, 7.2 would be really quite average/poor, 8.2 would be mildly disappointing and 9.0+ is what I'd always look for as a minimum. The problem is that a rating expressed as a number out of 10 is such a subjective thing. One poster said 5 meets expectation, but I'd say 8 meets expectation. That's the problem; one person's expectation, and how to express that numerically isn't the same as another's.

As a sort of hobby, I collect the funniest reviews every time I come across one. Some clearly just pressed the wrong number by mistake, whilst others give poor product ratings based on the Royal Mail's failures, or the seller sent the wrong colour of item.

review by Aaron T.
2/1/2019
Worst bacon I've ever had. 8/10

Return to “General discussion”