RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

A couple of days ago my neighbours woke me up arguing. Today I was fighting a fierce medieval battle when a flipping motorbike started up!

Just like smoking, noisy bikes should be banned from public and residential places. Ride them down the motorway, get off and push them home.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:30 pm
A couple of days ago my neighbours woke me up arguing. Today I was fighting a fierce medieval battle when a flipping motorbike started up!

Just like smoking, noisy bikes should be banned from public and residential places. Ride them down the motorway, get off and push them home.
I agree to an extent. Even as a lifelong biker, being woken up at 7am by a neighbour's (3 houses down) rorty Harley Davidson is a bit tiresome.
I will give him credit that he starts it and is off and away instantly and never guns it. But it's flipping loud.
Derek27

FFS, I got caught out in the rain. :lol:
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:46 pm
Weird innit. It's raining and rumbling and battering down. I like this. I think :shock: .
greenmark

greenmark wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:43 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Weird innit. It's raining and rumbling and battering down. I like this. I think :shock: .
Impressively dark. On one hand I want this water. On the other, is it too much for the concrete baked soil to manage.
Perhaps I should rush into the garden and assault it with garden fork to ehance percolation . But that would probably confirm to my neighbours that I'm a nutter.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:09 pm
greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
Impressively dark. On one hand I want this water. On the other, is it too much for the concrete baked soil to manage.
Perhaps I should rush into the garden and assault it with garden fork to ehance percolation . But that would probably confirm to my neighbours that I'm a nutter.
My neighbour's already confirmed that. He's out now trying to film some lightning strikes. :)
Realrocknrolla

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:26 pm
greenmark wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:09 pm
greenmark wrote:

My neighbour's already confirmed that. He's out now trying to film some lightning strikes. :)
😂😂😂
greenmark

Perhaps we should have a weather thread. Been under yellow thunderstorm warnings for 2 days. Today, yes, it rumbled and battered down for maybe an hour.
Does this really warrant warnings or justify the salarys of the the incompetents that claim to know what the weather will be beyond what they can see on radar?
Derek27

The government's trying to get us all to go green, by burning less fuel and cycling instead of driving ..... by making cyclists purchase a licence and insurance. :lol: :lol:

They'll have road tax and MOT next. :lol:
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:07 pm
The government's trying to get us all to go green, by burning less fuel and cycling instead of driving ..... by making cyclists purchase a licence and insurance. :lol: :lol:

Good! I pay a shed load of tax, insurance and petrol duty and they have priority! Might be OK in the city but when you go round a bend on a country road and they're wafting around near the centre line they're a bloody liability. At least get an electric bike, my road isn't someone's FREE personal gym!

Don't even see any of them having to produce their Cycling Proficiency Test. Do they still do that at school?
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:22 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:07 pm

Good! I pay a shed load of tax, insurance and petrol duty and they have priority! Might be OK in the city but when you go round a bend on a country road and they're wafting around near the centre line they're a bloody liability. At least get an electric bike, my road isn't someone's FREE personal gym!

Don't even see any of them having to produce their Cycling Proficiency Test. Do they still do that at school?
They did at my primary school but I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was 18. When I used to cycle on an A or B road I'd literally hog the curb with my wheels in between the curb and the solid white line that runs next to it.

Don't forget, pedestrians are responsible for a lot of accidents. Perhaps you should have a licence and third-party insurance before crossing roads. :)
ShaunWhite

I get that we all need to share the space and there's more terrible drivers than cyclists to be fair. And I wouldn't want kids to be excluded from the roads because they can't legally hold insurance. Ebikes and scooters are the problem, fast, heavy, and not even the same rules that would apply to a 50cc moped.
ShaunWhite

... I remember back in the day, bikers (when it was a cost of living choice not a toy) often had a Reliant Robin as a car...because being 3 wheelers you could drive them on a motorbike licence and not need a car test. Officially a 'covered trike' :D. Road law has always been grey.
greenmark

Petition closed with 5188 signatures.

"Require cyclists have lights, license plate and insurance to use the roads".

I don't think thats a mandate TBH.

500 pedestrians injured by cyclists. 16000 (including 4300 killed or seriously injured) cyclists involed in RTA's reported to police.
It's fairly obvious who the victims are here. As a recreational cyclist I am regularly disgusted by the impatience and lack of care from car drivers. Trucks and buses are a bit scary, but they have professional drivers.
The only caveat I have is despatch cyclists can be seemingly really quite reckless. But you don't last long in that job if don't learn.

But why do we need cyclist insurance when the Netherlands doesn't?
Derek27

I wonder how many stolen cars will be driven passed police, too busy checking that a cyclist has insurance.

Return to “General discussion”