Derek27 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:07 pm
greenmark wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:40 pm
The BBC are losing their minds.

Massive asteroid to pass by Earth on weekend
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65061818

515000 kms

Why do we pay people for this crap? AAAARRGGGHH!
That's from the moon. It will get within about 40,000 miles of Earth, that's only 5 Earth diameters.
I'll take your word fot that. But who cares? Is it going to have any impact on us?
My issue is that it's sensationalist, tabloid and just winds people (me) up for no good reason.
How about "an asteroid will pass by the earth at 515000 kms"? But that doesn't get the clicks does it?
Derek27

Don't know why Sky is televising the Paltrow case live. It's not a murder or political trial, it was just a skying accident!

The prosecution is playing the good cop role, she'd get me to confess to anything. :lol:
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:25 pm
Derek27 wrote:
greenmark wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:40 pm
The BBC are losing their minds.

Massive asteroid to pass by Earth on weekend
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65061818

515000 kms

Why do we pay people for this crap? AAAARRGGGHH!
That's from the moon. It will get within about 40,000 miles of Earth, that's only 5 Earth diameters.
I'll take your word fot that. But who cares? Is it going to have any impact on us?
My issue is that it's sensationalist, tabloid and just winds people (me) up for no good reason.
How about "an asteroid will pass by the earth at 515000 kms"? But that doesn't get the clicks does it?
They're talking about it on BBC News channel and got a scientist into the studio. It's quite a serious matter greenmark, it's coming back in 2026. Meteorites have been hitting the Earth for billions of years. The dinosaurs didn't complain, stone-age men didn't know what hit them, but with 7 billion people on the planet now we're sitting ducks. :)
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:40 am
greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

They're talking about it on BBC News channel and got a scientist into the studio. It's quite a serious matter greenmark, it's coming back in 2026. Meteorites have been hitting the Earth for billions of years. The dinosaurs didn't complain, stone-age men didn't know what hit them, but with 7 billion people on the planet now we're sitting ducks. :)
Just gets better doesn't it? Global poverty, credit crunch, climate change, covid, Ukraine, threat of a nuclear WW3 and now the planet being decimated (well I imagine worse than decimated) by an asteroid collision.

Hang on though just checked that story and they've ruled it out as a threat now or in 2026. :-) Phew. And relaaaaxxxxx!
greenmark

Er.... experienced a surreal moment. It's 11C and an icecream van shows up. I'm utterly baffled by that.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:23 pm
Derek27 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

Just gets better doesn't it? Global poverty, credit crunch, climate change, covid, Ukraine, threat of a nuclear WW3 and now the planet being decimated (well I imagine worse than decimated) by an asteroid collision.

Hang on though just checked that story and they've ruled it out as a threat now or in 2026. :-) Phew. And relaaaaxxxxx!
Some interesting facts about the Solar System. If Jupiter didn't exist and possess the gravity to deflect asteroids away from us life on Earth would never have started. If Saturn developed to be the same mass as Jupiter, their combined gravitational tugs when together would distort our orbit and eject the inner planets out of the Solar System. If the Moon wasn't created by a coincidental collision between Earth and Theia, many astrophysicists believe the Earth's axis would be erratic without the Moon stabilizing it and uninhabitable. And if we weren't hit by the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs, dinosaurs may still rule the world and we mammals could still be crawling around on four little legs hiding from bigger animals that want to eat us.

So we're quite lucky really, living in one of the few corners of the universe where life is possible. And some people think it was all created in seven days. ;)
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:46 pm
Er.... experienced a surreal moment. It's 11C and an icecream van shows up. I'm utterly baffled by that.
I was wondering if I should have moved my mini greenhouse indoors. It's got a paving slab at the bottom to stabilize it but I was still worried it might get blown over in the wind. Wind dying down now followed by three cold days to end the winter.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:50 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:23 pm
Derek27 wrote:

Some interesting facts about the Solar System. If Jupiter didn't exist and possess the gravity to deflect asteroids away from us life on Earth would never have started. If Saturn developed to be the same mass as Jupiter, their combined gravitational tugs when together would distort our orbit and eject the inner planets out of the Solar System. If the Moon wasn't created by a coincidental collision between Earth and Theia, many astrophysicists believe the Earth's axis would be erratic without the Moon stabilizing it and uninhabitable. And if we weren't hit by the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs, dinosaurs may still rule the world and we mammals could still be crawling around on four little legs hiding from bigger animals that want to eat us.

So we're quite lucky really, living in one of the few corners of the universe where life is possible. And some people think it was all created in seven days. ;)
"And some people think it was all created in seven days." That had me in hysterics. The more you delve into the universe, the more you dispense with the traditional religious notion of creation and ponder on how that notion has affected our lives for 1000's of years.

But i do wonder what preceded the Big Bang.
Derek27

ASDA are really clever. They have broken kitchen bins on display so customers can see how easily they break when they're not even used in a kitchen before deciding to purchase them. :D
andy28

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:23 pm
ASDA are really clever. They have broken kitchen bins on display so customers can see how easily they break when they're not even used in a kitchen before deciding to purchase them. :D
Are you 100% sure it's not an art display?
Derek27

I saw an empty football pitch in the US and decided to start making a sandwich. Two minutes later the match went in-play!
greenmark

Liz Truss resignation honours list criticised by ex-aides
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65075328

No, surely not!! Who'd have thought anyone could criticise a complete numpty that cost us £55 billion dishing out awards to their cronies.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:16 pm

No, surely not!! Who'd have thought anyone could criticise a complete numpty that cost us £55 billion dishing out awards to their cronies.
Who would want a knighthood recommended by Loony Liz? :lol:

If any of those four on the list are offered one, if they have any self-respect they'll decline it.
Derek27

According to Sky, children are being stopped and strip-searched by police.

I've heard of stop and search, taking in and strip-searching, but stopping and strip-searching! :shock: :shock:
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:33 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:16 pm

Who would want a knighthood recommended by Loony Liz? :lol:

If any of those four on the list are offered one, if they have any self-respect they'll decline it.
49 days confers such rights? Every job I had a 3 ot 6 month probation. She was was worse than useless. Why does she have any influence whatsoever over anything. Good grief!! 49 DAYS FFS. She's a moron!!!! Is this a politiican? Would Thatcher be looking down (up) and saying "Good job, Liz".
She des not deserve any of the benefits of being PM simply because she never was a Prime Minister. And in terms of on-going security, well who would be interested in taking out a muppet like her?

Return to “General discussion”