RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:05 pm
:-) 2 days last week it was 20C. Its currently snowing here. Completely bonkers. Maybe our weather is why we're a bit nutty.
Sleet/snow and sunshine where I am, all at the same time. It's getting quite normal now but April has always been the month when you experience all four seasons in a week, sometimes the same day!
alexmr2

Crazyskier wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:02 pm
Almost everyone had a father to discipline them in the 70s and 80s, and those juvenile delinquents that still committed crimes were actually given proper punishments at borstal, with no excuses and playing the victim as we see so often nowadays. People were actually responsible for their actions, and feared the long arm of the law.

How times change. And not for the better...

CS
An interesting thought is how will the next generation of generally undisciplined kids cope as traders? Will they have the motivation to put in the effort it takes to succeed if they are so used to having everything handed to them on a plate?

It seems as though instant gratification is becoming more embedded into people's minds compared to the past;

Buy something from Amazon it comes the next day
Order a takeaway on an app without leaving the house
Meet people on dating apps as opposed to putting in a lot of effort
Finish a degree and expect to earn a big salary off the bat

Even though I'm a late millenial, a lot has changed even since I was younger. I've heard that in the past kids would be lucky to get an apple for Christmas now a lot seem to get phones and games consoles worth a whole week of their parents' wages.

If this is the case then I might have a better chance of succeeding in the markets :lol:
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:38 pm
greenmark wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:05 pm
:-) 2 days last week it was 20C. Its currently snowing here. Completely bonkers. Maybe our weather is why we're a bit nutty.
Sleet/snow and sunshine where I am, all at the same time. It's getting quite normal now but April has always been the month when you experience all four seasons in a week, sometimes the same day!
Perhaps, but 20C to snow is bizarre. Hey, I've lived in the UK a long time. Hail in May, another year, sitting outside a pub because it was too hot inside, and the sweat beading on my arms. I guess we have the ultimate in temperate climates. Maybe the only problem is with our benign climate we are completely unprepared for extreme events. An odd conundrum.
ShaunWhite

alexmr2 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:34 pm
If this is the case then I might have a better chance of succeeding in the markets :lol:
Young people are as varied as they used to be, depends if you get your impression of them from TikTok or university challenge.

Trading is getting harder not easier, a few who try are get-rich-quick mechants who won't do the hours, but there's an increasing number of very highly educated people who know how to graft. Take a look at the jobs the syndicates offer as a visible example, you won't get through the door without a good degree or more. This forum isn't the whole trading world alex, far from it, there's a lot of people doing serious stuff out there. How's your doctorate in statistics going?
ShaunWhite

greenmark wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:26 pm
we are completely unprepared for extreme events.
I love what us feable animals call extremes, 20 degrees either way and we're struggling. Just wait until climate collapse causes the extremes other planets experience. You'll be wondering if Easter will be melting the iron pub table or battering you with methane hail.
greenmark

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:43 pm
greenmark wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:26 pm
we are completely unprepared for extreme events.
I love what us feable animals call extremes, 20 degrees either way and we're struggling. Just wait until climate collapse causes the extremes other planets experience. You'll be wondering if Easter will be melting the iron pub table or battering you with methane hail.
We feable animals are unique, so far as we know. But we're pretty good at screwing up our precious environment. And, yes! Which planet in our tiny part of the solar system or galaxy or place in the universe, would you rather be?
alexmr2

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:34 pm
This forum isn't the whole trading world alex, far from it, there's a lot of people doing serious stuff out there.
I was thinking that when Derek retires and spends his days driving to the country club in his Range Rover to play golf instead of trading, the pre-off markets could become easier.
ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:34 pm
How's your doctorate in statistics going?
I already completed a masters degree in electrical engineering and I wouldn't study again. I'm not a fan of the academic/corporate world or the current economic climate.

There may be some transferable skills for algo/automation but I doubt there's much correlation between people with an official higher education and success in manual trading. From what I've heard is possible with bots, I don't see why any individual would bother going to a syndicate
Derek27

alexmr2 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:56 pm
I was thinking that when Derek retires and spends his days driving to the country club in his Range Rover to play golf instead of trading, the pre-off markets could become easier.
I'll be trading till I drop dead. :D
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:22 pm
alexmr2 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:56 pm
I'll be trading till I drop dead. :D
Lol. Alex claims to be thinking.
Derek27

I forgot to say, you can have my Range Rover Alex, it doesn't fit in my driveway. :)
Derek27

Skipped a full English breakfast to trade a 13:00 Turkish Superleague match, only to realise Betfair is now living in GMT. :x
Derek27

It makes my blood boil when people change their mind about buying food and chuck fresh food in the freezer or place frozen food on the supermarket shelf. :x
jimibt

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:05 pm
It makes my blood boil when people change their mind about buying food and chuck fresh food in the freezer or place frozen food on the supermarket shelf. :x
you need to get closer to that frozen food on the supermarket shelf -that'll cool ya down :D
greenmark

jimibt wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:07 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:05 pm
you need to get closer to that frozen food on the supermarket shelf -that'll cool ya down :D
I've got a rant for you Derek. My tesco has dual travelators in and out. They are on a slope, therefore the trolleys have magnets. Once you're on it with a trolley you have to stand there. My gripe is I rarely use a trolley. I could steam in and out if twits with trolleys didn't block both travelators. Pre-covid I would squeeze past them but I can't do that now. And the worst of all is people with NO trolley stand on the travelator, chatting, prodding their phone, picking their nose.......AAAAAAAARRRRRGGHH!
LeTiss

Something disastrous has happened during the past 18 months.....I've started to lose my hair. Gutted :twisted:

Return to “General discussion”