RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

Korattt wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:27 pm
Spag Bol tonight with chicken mince 🤮
It took me a while to realise why that's on the rant thread. Cooked for an hour and a half, you won't notice the mince, just the aroma of the tomatoes, red wine or whatever else is chucked in. :)
ShaunWhite

Korattt wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:32 pm
can parents fine teachers for not attending school because of taking industrial action during term time? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤔
There's no fine if the parents say the week in Tuscany is "educational", and with this it's educational becuase the kids are learning about industrial relations :)

I did hear someone say they should have had the strike at half term, but it isn't a strike if you're not supposed to be at work anyway. That's just a day off.
Korattt

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:08 pm
Korattt wrote:
It took me a while to realise why that's on the rant thread. Cooked for an hour and a half, you won't notice the mince, just the aroma of the tomatoes, red wine or whatever else is chucked in. :)
maybe you’re right.. after a bottle of red (or two), may not notice the difference 🍷😋
ShaunWhite

Korattt wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:11 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Korattt wrote:
maybe you’re right.. after a bottle of red (or two), may not notice the difference 🍷😋
Just give it a different name. If you say you're having fish and you cook a sausage of course that's gonna be weird. Spaghetti con pollo al sugo di pomodoro sounds deeeee-liciius :D
Korattt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:22 pm
Korattt wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

Just give it a different name. If you say you're having fish and you cook a sausage of course that's gonna be weird. Spaghetti con pollo al sugo di pomodoro sounds deeeee-liciius :D
smothered it in Parmesan in the end, no different really
greenmark

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:22 pm
Korattt wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

I experimented subbing pork for beef in spags and chillli's. Because beef has a vastly worse impact on land use and greenhuose gas production.
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/visual ... each-food/
But I didn't find pork a decent sub. It quickly becomes grainy. Then again if you've been making spags with mince for 40 years perhaps another few attempts might be prudent.
But the chicken, tomato thiing might be answered by Jamie Oliver's Chicken & squash cacciatore. Not a big fan of sweet potato so I tend to do 50/50 sweet potato and charlotte's of baby new potatoes.
https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chi ... acciatore/
Korattt

not a fan of Jamie Oliver to be honest
greenmark

Korattt wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:07 pm
Is that because he can be very annoying (well from the day he popped up on Naked Chef, I guess) or being disappointed by his recipes?
I've warmed to him and his recipes (apart from his cabalero nero recipe which was a total failure).
In any case chicken mince doesn't appeal to me at all. It seems ...... just wrong somehow, but don't know why. Perhaps its the comparison with the flesh of a roasted chicken leg. Now there is a tasty morsel. Or the oyster. My Mum used to like the parson's nose. Still don't get that. But she liked tripe too.
ShaunWhite

greenmark wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:54 pm
I experimented subbing pork for beef in spags and chillli's. Because beef has a vastly worse impact on land use and greenhuose gas production.
But pigs are more intelligent, you can't win either way. But turning a blind eye for a minute, the best meatballs are 50/50 pork and beef.
Derek27

Korattt wrote:
Nor is anyone who purchased his 20-minute meal book and spent 2 hours cooking them. Calling them 20-minute meals when he needed the full 20 minutes to cook them was a bit of a con. It didn't even include the 40 minutes it takes to prepare the vegetables when you've had a few drinks.
Korattt

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:46 pm
Korattt wrote:
Nor is anyone who purchased his 20-minute meal book and spent 2 hours cooking them. Calling them 20-minute meals when he needed the full 20 minutes to cook them was a bit of a con. It didn't even include the 40 minutes it takes to prepare the vegetables when you've had a few drinks.
I didn’t like the fact he sacked loads of his staff & still prances about on TV as if nothing had happened
Derek27

Korattt wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:55 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Korattt wrote:
I didn’t like the fact he sacked loads of his staff & still prances about on TV as if nothing had happened
About ten years ago I was having a coffee at the market stall and the stall owner introduced me to her mother and told me she works for Jamie Oliver. I jokingly asked if she's his cook. The stall assistant laughed but the woman I was talking to didn't get the joke and appeared to take offence. She had a high-ranking desk job and I remember her saying "If I want something to eat I'll get somebody else to cook it".

I wouldn't shed any tears if she was one of the fired staff. ;)
greenmark

Korattt wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:55 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Korattt wrote:
He does that to fund his next project to employ people. If a project fails it's a seperate entity. Thats the way I would do it too. He has his TV, his books, his various restaurants and I bet they're all seperate Ltd companies. I don't think any restaurant companies have had anything but a terrible time over the last few years. That's not Oliver's fault is it? Is he supposed to us his other profitable ventures prop up an unviable business that gave a lot of people valuable experience and a "name" on their CV going forward. Business doesn't work like that IMO.
ShaunWhite

There's no shame in trying and failing.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:08 pm
There's no shame in trying and failing.
That will give Liz Truss great comfort. :D

Return to “General discussion”