Trading from Spain

A place to discuss anything.
Richard100

Hi.

After working for over 30 years as an IT cosultant for the London, German and Luxembourg stock exchanges, my wife and I moved to southern Andalucia in Spain 6 months ago.
My day now consists of a 2/3 hour cycle ride along the coast in the morning. I then prepare for the afternoon's trading and have lunch. In the afternoon, I trade the UK horse racing markets. To connect, via Bet Angel, my Betfair account I have to go via an VPN. I use one in Gibraltar as we are nearby. I use Racing UK International and ATR to watch the races. RUK provides an excellent service.
I don't miss the IT world and the city life at all!
To date this set up has working fine with one exception when my wifi connection froze just before the off and I had open positions inplay which resulted in a hefty loss. I suppose this could happen anywhere and I shouldn't point the finger at Movistar.
Are any other traders living here? If so, I would like you to share your experiences of trading from this part of Spain.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Richard.
iambic_pentameter

Whilst it's not the perfect solution, you could have a closing position placed out of the money and take SP clicked.

That way, if Betfair does go down, you wouldn't lose your whole stake.

Obviously if you do in running trading, you are stuffed but you could make sure you only use a small percentage of your trading bank.

A very experienced in running trader suggested that 2% of your bank should be the maximum risk.

Glad the environment is working for you though - nice part of the world and decent weather I guess?

Iambic
northbound

The following works in Italy, most probably it's the same in Spain.

You could have a smartphone with a Three UK sim card and have the Betfair mobile website (not app) open on your smartphone browser, in case you need to close trades while Wifi doesn't work.

In Italy, it's not possible to access the Betfair UK website on your smartphone using the local broadband or an Italian sim. But it's possible if you use a UK sim.

BTW I said website, not app. If you use the app, regardless of the sim you're using, it checks your location through GPS and prevents you from logging in.
enginsbali

Hey Richard,

I did the same from Malaga for a while, but my connection was very unstable via VPN. I have been using the same VPN for a while without any problems in other countries. Did not understand the reason why.

How is it going? Still enjoying the same lifestyle? Where are you located?

Thanks!
xtrader16

Not really relevant to the OP question but I'm hoping one day to trade in Asia (Thailand, Bali, KL) and if anybody knows of the best VPN service available that would be great. The only information I could provide to the OP is do the same as you would if you where based in the UK. Have a secondary WIFI connection and a Betdaq account.

I could live quite well on £100 x 28 days in Asia.
Last edited by xtrader16 on Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Euler

Use a VPS rather than a VPN?

We have users based right around the world now hooked up to VPS's and I've used it in many locations and it clearly provides the best experience.
northbound

VPS is a good idea but it may be perceived as expensive by some (£25+ per month) due to the cost of a Windows license.

VPN is cost effective especially if you set up your own. This is my preferred approach, it involves renting a dedicated Linux server for around £5/month and paying someone a one-off fee for setting up the VPN software on it.
xtrader16

northbound wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:17 am
VPS is a good idea but it may be perceived as expensive by some (£25+ per month) due to the cost of a Windows license.

VPN is cost effective especially if you set up your own. This is my preferred approach, it involves renting a dedicated Linux server for around £5/month and paying someone a one-off fee for setting up the VPN software on it.
No offence but £25 per month is nothing. If Euler says that the VPS is preferred over the VPN than that is the way to go. Good Luck with which ever option you choose.
Naffman

xtrader16 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:15 pm
northbound wrote:

No offence but £25 per month is nothing. If Euler says that the VPS is preferred over the VPN than that is the way to go. Good Luck with which ever option you choose.
I've just been to Tenerife and BF is legal there, no need for any VPS/VPN
adace

Anyone got any experience using a vpn with an Australian account to bet on the UK platform?
Crazyskier

Naffman wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:32 pm
xtrader16 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:15 pm
northbound wrote:

I've just been to Tenerife and BF is legal there, no need for any VPS/VPN
Now that is VERY interesting, to me as someone who looks longingly at the 20+ average daytime winter temperatures and even 15+ overnight that the Canary islands offer...

My (semi) retirement with a Golden Visa is definitely calling me to La Islas Canarias rather than mainland Spain... Can anyone else verify this is the case and no VPN or VPS is required there?

CS
Anbell

adace wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:41 pm
Anyone got any experience using a vpn with an Australian account to bet on the UK platform?
This works
https://www.betangel.com/vps/

Return to “General discussion”