VPS questions

A place to discuss anything.
ShaunWhite

A few basic question about VPS that I can't find answers to. I've never used one so excuse any naivety.

1. Do you have any rules around what other software I can run on my VPS?

2. Is the server manned, eg if I lose my connection and need something stopped, is there anyone to do it?

3. How private is my VPS, ie how much access to admin have to my files and to see what's running?

4. If the VPS crashes or loses it's connection to BF when I'm not observing it, how would I know?

5. What's the maximum screen res of my VPS environment, ie how much real estate can my BA windows occupy?

6. Would I need to get a server edition of Excel or have you got an Enterprise version that VPS users can use (as a temp employee would)?

7. How much bandwidth will viewing my VPS use? Is the screen data really much less than the BF data stream? I suppose so because 95% of the screen isn't refreshing but If I watched video remotely on my VPS (maybe due to licence restrictions while I'm overseas) presumably that would use more bandwidth, or not?

It's a lot to answer I know but maybe it could be the basis of a VPS FAQ.
megarain

Early Start !!

I can answer a few of these :

1. Do you have any rules around what other software I can run on my VPS?

No .. I often have other API software running .. to both check, if P/L are correct -- maybe 2x a yr, something has happened, and its wrong, and to check if API is working etc

2. Is the server manned, eg if I lose my connection and need something stopped, is there anyone to do it?

No .. If u restart, and by mistake, say shut-down .. u would have to email Bet Angel to get them to re-boot. (So, if u re-boot .. make sure u tick, restart).

3. How private is my VPS, ie how much access to admin have to my files and to see what's running?

U will have changed password. Its private to u.

4. If the VPS crashes or loses it's connection to BF when I'm not observing it, how would I know?

Maybe u could design a excell sms thing .. but .. without that, u wouldnt. Have used for many yrs .. never been a problem.

5. What's the maximum screen res of my VPS environment, ie how much real estate can my BA windows occupy?

Thats a good question .. and depends on the screen res u have on your desktop.

6. Would I need to get a server edition of Excel or have you got an Enterprise version that VPS users can use (as a temp employee would)?

I use with office 2016 Excel .. works.
convoysur-2

vps is down ?????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
convoysur-2

working again
ShaunWhite

Thanks for the info. Very interesting.
cmuddle

It says that VPS already includes a special BA Professional version.
Does it mean that one doesn't have to buy a BA Professional subscription?
Dallas

cmuddle wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:47 pm
There is a 'Server edition' of Bet Angel Pro avaliable that will only run on a Bet Angel VPS - but you still need to buy a BA Professional subscription
Euler

No, it just means you can run an optimised version of Bet Angel on the server. You will still need a subscription.
cmuddle

Dallas wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:51 pm
cmuddle wrote:
There is a 'Server edition' of Bet Angel Pro avaliable that will only run on a Bet Angel VPS - but you still need to buy a BA Professional subscription
Will my automation files work on that edition if I load them or will I have to re-create them?

Thanks
Dallas

cmuddle wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:17 am
Dallas wrote:
cmuddle wrote:
Will my automation files work on that edition if I load them or will I have to re-create them?

Thanks
They will work and can just be transferred from your PC to VPS

The server edition is exactly the same as the regular version except its optimized for use (connection wise) specifically on a Bet Angel VPS
cmuddle

Dallas wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:21 am
cmuddle wrote:
Dallas wrote:

Thanks

The server edition is exactly the same as the regular version except its optimized for use (connection wise) specifically on a Bet Angel VPS
How is the internet connection on the VPS? Will that be wired or Wi-Fi? Can one use the streaming mode?
Dallas

cmuddle wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:25 am
Dallas wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:21 am
cmuddle wrote:

Thanks

How is the internet connection on the VPS? Will that be wired or Wi-Fi? Can one use the streaming mode?
Yes streaming can be used, A VPS is a server (one of hundreds) on a rack stored in a room so are all wired to the internet

How you connect to the server is up to you ie, PC, tablet, phone etc
Bog

Hi. If I run automation from an Windows VPS, and in same time I'm trading manually from my computer with diferrent ip and other markets than vps automation, it's ok from betfair side placing trades from two diferrent ip's? Thx
Dallas

Bog wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:02 am
Hi. If I run automation from an Windows VPS, and in same time I'm trading manually from my computer with diferrent ip and other markets than vps automation, it's ok from betfair side placing trades from two diferrent ip's? Thx
Yes, thats fine, you could (and many do) even run automation from several VPS and trade manually from multiple PC's at home/office at the same time.
Bog

Dallas wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:05 am

Yes, thats fine, you could (and many do) even run automation from several VPS and trade manually from multiple PC's at home/office at the same time.
Thanx Dallas. Good to know that. Any tips to a newbie for security? It's an antivirus required on the VPS?

Also I saw questions like "Can that server owner that rents a VPS to me or any others access my data and source code of my app?" .... It's that possible? Nobody wants to see bets placed from their account. Probably it's safe to use VPS if it's a good company, but as always security it's important.

I think an romanian VPS service it's requiered, my account works only with betfair.ro

Return to “General discussion”