A place to discuss anything.
cmuddle

Dallas wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:21 am
cmuddle wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:17 am
Dallas wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:51 pm

There is a 'Server edition' of Bet Angel Pro avaliable that will only run on a Bet Angel VPS - but you still need to buy a BA Professional subscription
Will my automation files work on that edition if I load them or will I have to re-create them?

Thanks
They will work and can just be transferred from your PC to VPS

The server edition is exactly the same as the regular version except its optimized for use (connection wise) specifically on a Bet Angel VPS
How is the internet connection on the VPS? Will that be wired or Wi-Fi? Can one use the streaming mode?
Dallas

cmuddle wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:25 am
Dallas wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:21 am
cmuddle wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:17 am

Will my automation files work on that edition if I load them or will I have to re-create them?

Thanks
They will work and can just be transferred from your PC to VPS

The server edition is exactly the same as the regular version except its optimized for use (connection wise) specifically on a Bet Angel VPS
How is the internet connection on the VPS? Will that be wired or Wi-Fi? Can one use the streaming mode?
Yes streaming can be used, A VPS is a server (one of hundreds) on a rack stored in a room so are all wired to the internet

How you connect to the server is up to you ie, PC, tablet, phone etc
Bog

Hi. If I run automation from an Windows VPS, and in same time I'm trading manually from my computer with diferrent ip and other markets than vps automation, it's ok from betfair side placing trades from two diferrent ip's? Thx
Dallas

Bog wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:02 am
Hi. If I run automation from an Windows VPS, and in same time I'm trading manually from my computer with diferrent ip and other markets than vps automation, it's ok from betfair side placing trades from two diferrent ip's? Thx
Yes, thats fine, you could (and many do) even run automation from several VPS and trade manually from multiple PC's at home/office at the same time.
Bog

Dallas wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:05 am

Yes, thats fine, you could (and many do) even run automation from several VPS and trade manually from multiple PC's at home/office at the same time.
Thanx Dallas. Good to know that. Any tips to a newbie for security? It's an antivirus required on the VPS?

Also I saw questions like "Can that server owner that rents a VPS to me or any others access my data and source code of my app?" .... It's that possible? Nobody wants to see bets placed from their account. Probably it's safe to use VPS if it's a good company, but as always security it's important.

I think an romanian VPS service it's requiered, my account works only with betfair.ro
Dallas

Bog wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:11 pm
Dallas wrote:

Thanx Dallas. Good to know that. Any tips to a newbie for security? It's an antivirus required on the VPS?

Also I saw questions like "Can that server owner that rents a VPS to me or any others access my data and source code of my app?" .... It's that possible? Nobody wants to see bets placed from their account. Probably it's safe to use VPS if it's a good company, but as always security it's important.

I think an romanian VPS service it's requiered, my account works only with betfair.ro
Its certainly worth doing some research before buying one (cheap is not always the best), and the VPS owner should be able to advise of the best anti virus for their servers.

I've always used the ones supplied by Bet Angel which will of course been fully vetted and checked, I'm not sure if Romanian users could use a BA VPS as they have UK IP addresses, the only reason that you wouldn't be able to is if Betfair.ro only allowed connections from Romanian IP addresses, it would be worth asking them the question unless any other Romanian users on here already know the answer.
If they would allow connections from outside Romania then my recommendation would be to use a VPS from Bet Angel.
Bog

Dallas wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:24 pm

Its certainly worth doing some research before buying one (cheap is not always the best), and the VPS owner should be able to advise of the best anti virus for their servers.

I've always used the ones supplied by Bet Angel which will of course been fully vetted and checked, I'm not sure if Romanian users could use a BA VPS as they have UK IP addresses, the only reason that you wouldn't be able to is if Betfair.ro only allowed connections from Romanian IP addresses, it would be worth asking them the question unless any other Romanian users on here already know the answer.
If they would allow connections from outside Romania then my recommendation would be to use a VPS from Bet Angel.
Thx Dallas for suggestions. I remember when betfair made the transition from .com to .ro for romanian customers, I asked romanian support if I can login to betfair.ro from outside the country and they said it can't be done, only works from Romania.
It was 3 years ago.That's why I was thinking for an romanian VPS service. I will ask them again to see what they say. Cheers.
Last edited by Bog on Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ShaunWhite

Bog wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:11 pm
Dallas wrote:

The VPS provider can't access your system other than by the standard ways to access it...which you secure. Nobody should expect you to run any 'special' versions of anything which I would see a security risk. That said I think the BA VPS forces you to run the special VPS version of BA. The std version of BA works fine on all non BA VPSs but if you try and use the VPS version of BA on a non-BA VPS it crashes. I haven't been able to get a satisfactory reason why this is the case but it's not an issue for me as I don't use the BA VPS so use the std version of BA on my VPS.

As for security/setup I always do the following...

1. Install all latest Windows updates
2. Create a new login which has admin privileges (do this under Admin Tools > Computer Management > Local Users and Groups > Users
Add to Administrator group
3. Disable the Administrator account (otherwise people will know that's a valid username)
4. Make sure the Windows Firewall is On
  - If it is on, then the default settings are fine
  - If it is off, then be very careful when enabling it for the first time, since you must check that Remote Desktop access is allowed, otherwise you'll cut yourself off and not be able to get back in without tech support
5. Under Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Account Policies, set Account lockout threshold to 5 incorrect attempts, lock it out for 30 mins, and reset count after 30 mins. That will prevent brute force attacks.
6. Under Local Security Policy > Local Policies > Security Policy > Accounts:Administrator account status. Add Administrator to the "Deny log on through Remote Desktop Services", but that's probably unnecessary if you've disabled the account already
7.Start >run> gpedit.msc > Computer Configuration >Windows settings --Security Settings -- Local Policies -- Security Options > User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode - Set to Disabled. (otherwise when you try and move files with batch scripts you'll get the confirmation prompt which will halt the execution.
8.Reboot

I haven't found it necessary to run any 3rd party security but obv that's your choice.

(I can't be responsible for errors in the above but I recently set up another VPS, following my own notes and all seems fine)
Dallas

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:42 pm
That said I think the BA VPS forces you to run the special VPS version of BA. The std version of BA works fine on all non BA VPSs but if you try and use the VPS version of BA on a non-BA VPS it crashes. I haven't been able to get a satisfactory reason why this is the case but it's not an issue for me as I don't use the BA VPS so use the std version of BA on my VPS.
You can run any version of Bet Angel on a VPS supplied by Bet Angel but can only use BA Pro server edition on a Bet Angel VPS.

There are no differences feature-wise, its because the BA VPS setup, configuration and location etc is already known that the server edition has also been set up and configured so that it runs optimally from those servers.
Bog

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:42 pm

The VPS provider can't access your system other than by the standard ways to access it...which you secure. Nobody should expect you to run any 'special' versions of anything which I would see a security risk. That said I think the BA VPS forces you to run the special VPS version of BA. The std version of BA works fine on all non BA VPSs but if you try and use the VPS version of BA on a non-BA VPS it crashes. I haven't been able to get a satisfactory reason why this is the case but it's not an issue for me as I don't use the BA VPS so use the std version of BA on my VPS.

As for security/setup I always do the following...

1. Install all latest Windows updates
2. Create a new login which has admin privileges (do this under Admin Tools > Computer Management > Local Users and Groups > Users
Add to Administrator group
3. Disable the Administrator account (otherwise people will know that's a valid username)
4. Make sure the Windows Firewall is On
  - If it is on, then the default settings are fine
  - If it is off, then be very careful when enabling it for the first time, since you must check that Remote Desktop access is allowed, otherwise you'll cut yourself off and not be able to get back in without tech support
5. Under Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Account Policies, set Account lockout threshold to 5 incorrect attempts, lock it out for 30 mins, and reset count after 30 mins. That will prevent brute force attacks.
6. Under Local Security Policy > Local Policies > Security Policy > Accounts:Administrator account status. Add Administrator to the "Deny log on through Remote Desktop Services", but that's probably unnecessary if you've disabled the account already
7.Start >run> gpedit.msc > Computer Configuration >Windows settings --Security Settings -- Local Policies -- Security Options > User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode - Set to Disabled. (otherwise when you try and move files with batch scripts you'll get the confirmation prompt which will halt the execution.
8.Reboot

I haven't found it necessary to run any 3rd party security but obv that's your choice.

(I can't be responsible for errors in the above but I recently set up another VPS, following my own notes and all seems fine)

Wow, great info Shaun! Thanx a lot , that was a good reading. I'm sure all these info it will help me and others interested. Cheers :mrgreen:

If I want to do a test, 1 vCPU, 2GB RAM, 3TB Bandwidth (similar to Bet Angel VPS Basic) it's enough for one month?
ShaunWhite

Dallas wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:57 pm
its because the BA VPS setup, configuration and location etc is already known that the server edition has also been set up and configured so that it runs optimally from those servers.
Are you just talking about default BA connection settings or something more fundamental? If so, what?
ShaunWhite

Bog wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:59 pm
If I want to do a test, 1 vCPU, 2GB RAM, 3TB Bandwidth (similar to Bet Angel VPS Basic) it's enough for one month?
Glad you found it useful. That spec should be enough if you only want to run 1 or 2 instances. I don't actually run BA on my VPS so can't really comment with any great certainty.
Dallas

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:34 pm
Dallas wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:57 pm
its because the BA VPS setup, configuration and location etc is already known that the server edition has also been set up and configured so that it runs optimally from those servers.
Are you just talking about default BA connection settings or something more fundamental? If so, what?
Connection settings, as you'll know every PC is different and Bet Angel has communication settings to allow users to get the best performance from their own individual set ups, but with the VPS's supplied by BA the performance/internet connection/ping times etc are all known so the server edition is already tuned to be as optimised as possible.
ShaunWhite

Dallas wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:07 pm
Connection settings, as you'll know every PC is different and Bet Angel has communication settings to allow users to get the best performance from their own individual set ups, but with the VPS's supplied by BA the performance/internet connection/ping times etc are all known so the server edition is already tuned to be as optimised as possible.
Sounds reasonable but I can't think why that would crash a different server, especially one that's a higher spec & with a 1ms ping to the BF data centre. And why a whole different version rather than just different settings? It's only academic really as I don't/can't use it but I've never come across anything that will run on one vps, but crash on another using the same OS. I'm fishing for the actual difference so that I can apply the same 'optimisation' to my own software tbh. That and the fact that mysterious errors are always a source of fascination. Can anyone from the dev team shed any light?
Balmus

What VPS are you using that is giving you a 1ms ping to betfair? Thanks.

Return to “General discussion”