VPS questions

A place to discuss anything.
Balmus

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:55 am
Balmus wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:55 pm
What VPS are you using that is giving you a 1ms ping to betfair? Thanks.
I've just run my tests again and it's 1ms to the internet backbone and in the region of 10ms to the exchange. Sorry to have misled you, it's while since I did it and misremembered. :roll: My correction means you won't spend the next 6 months looking for the impossible.
I have spent a while looking and have found a 10ms solution. I was 90% sure you where referring to the Internet ping as the betfair traffic is routed through an anti Ddos provider ( https://www.akamai.com/uk/en/nd ) and 1ms would have some way circumvented that step. There are some providers I have yet to test. There are some ultra low latency ones in the London docklands that may be slightly faster. Will test and report back.
megarain

I have noticed a trend in the last 2 weeks that my servers seem to crash overnight.

Typically, I will try to log in, and the next morning, and be meeted with a message saying windows has recovered from an unexpected error.

Anyone elkse seeing this ?
sa7med

megarain wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:28 am
I have noticed a trend in the last 2 weeks that my servers seem to crash overnight.

Typically, I will try to log in, and the next morning, and be meeted with a message saying windows has recovered from an unexpected error.

Anyone elkse seeing this ?
Haven't had any trouble on the three that I have. Are you running anything new?
megarain

I have 7 VPS.

At least 3 crash daily.

I thought winzip was causing it it, and took it off, which has helped, but its still happening.

One just crashed now, as I was using it.
shutdown event tracker.jpg
unexpected error.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

I'll drop you a note and see if I can see forensically see what is causing the error.
megarain

All servers with Windows server 2008 R2 Standard installed crashed yesterday.

The ones with 2016 edition were fine, so I think that's the reason.

Will upgrade etc.
marketraisen

I've been weighing up the pros and cons of web hosting BA again this week as I'll be abroad for a while next year.

Online hosting is essentially how I operate BA already, run a regular BA install from an old laptop in a back room, only ever access it remotely, so moving online would be no real change assuming security/privacy was in place besides not needing a room to keep it in.

Curious about something I read in the VPS guide, why is it recommended to restart once per day, should I be doing this already? That sounds annoying to me, I havent restarted BA in months with no performance issues. I have it setup to refresh markets automatically daily and have gone weeks at a time not checking the laptop itself and following progress through betfair.com.
PeterLe

marketraisen wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:07 am

Curious about something I read in the VPS guide, why is it recommended to restart once per day, should I be doing this already? That sounds annoying to me, I havent restarted BA in months with no performance issues. I have it setup to refresh markets automatically daily and have gone weeks at a time not checking the laptop itself and following progress through betfair.com.
In the very early days (10-12 years ago) i had an episode where I had two instances of betangel running (even though I though there was only one) which exceeded the data requests/hour so a restart each day would clear the cache and instances etc..)
Now its just habit re starting each day I guess..but I still do it :D

Regards
Peter
marketraisen

PeterLe wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:42 am
In the very early days (10-12 years ago) i had an episode where I had two instances of betangel running (even though I though there was only one) which exceeded the data requests/hour so a restart each day would clear the cache and instances etc..)
I'm not pushing my limits on data requests at all these days, restricted to 2 minutes before and after off times, which probably leads me to missing opportunities but I dont care as it keeps things tidy. Is that why I havent noticed any issues coming up with BA staying open forever? I'm not even sure how to word this but how would I go about checking the health of my betangel instance?

The setup right now on the laptop is a super-cut down custom install of windows 10 with nothing else on there besides office, betangel, chrome and some software called Mini Mouse Macro that I use to clear and reload markets automatically a couple of times a day, which is probably all I would use on VPS. Is there some secret files somewhere BA is constantly adding data too I should be worried about?
ShaunWhite

marketraisen wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:51 am
Is there some secret files somewhere BA is constantly adding data too I should be worried about?
The problem isn't files growing, it's memory leaks, and it's not necessarily BA that could be a problem. It sounds like like you're a fairly savvy user so you'll be able to assess it yourself but it falls into the category of if it's no agro then why not. There's also considerations around security too whereby a reboot will kick anyone off who's gained control of your computer/vps.

On the other hand if it ain't broke then don't fix it, if you get along just fine without needing to do it then crack on as you are.
banana_man

Are the optimal Communications settings for Bet Angel (BETDAQ) on the Bet Angel VPS known? Specifically the Dynamic Connection Tuner and Connection Smoothing. For the refresh rates I just increase them by at least 200ms for each instance of BA I have running.
SundayBetter

hello, is there any difference in the processor (different type, number of cores etc) betwern the Basic and Expert version of the Bat Angel VPS? it only says Intel Xeon for both on the website
Dallas

SundayBetter wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:28 pm
hello, is there any difference in the processor (different type, number of cores etc) betwern the Basic and Expert version of the Bat Angel VPS? it only says Intel Xeon for both on the website
Basic has 2 cores
Recommended has 4 cores
Expert has 8 cores
SundayBetter

Dallas wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:44 am
SundayBetter wrote:
Basic has 2 cores
Recommended has 4 cores
Expert has 8 cores
Thanks, now sorry for the naive question but should I expect Bet Angel with Excel automation to run 4 times faster with the Expert VPS than with the Basic version? I currently have the Basic and I find that when I have a lot of markets loaded in Excel, they only refresh every 10/15 seconds. Should I expect an improvement to every 3/4 seconds if I upgrade to Expert?

I am on Streaming with all refresh rates set at the fastest in Bet Angel.
Dallas

SundayBetter wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:21 am
Dallas wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:44 am
SundayBetter wrote:
Basic has 2 cores
Recommended has 4 cores
Expert has 8 cores
Thanks, now sorry for the naive question but should I expect Bet Angel with Excel automation to run 4 times faster with the Expert VPS than with the Basic version? I currently have the Basic and I find that when I have a lot of markets loaded in Excel, they only refresh every 10/15 seconds. Should I expect an improvement to every 3/4 seconds if I upgrade to Expert?

I am on Streaming with all refresh rates set at the fastest in Bet Angel.
You should be using at least Recommended or Expert when using Excel, depending on how complex the macros you are using are

Return to “General discussion”