Broadband down for the next three weeks, help please!

A place to discuss anything.
arbitrage16

Woke up this morning to no internet - due to a house move BT have switched it off too early, so I'm without access before the end of the month. That would mean no trading, but I can't accept that so need to find a solution and would appreciate any help. The suggestion seems to be a mifi device - how feasible is this to trade from? I'm an in-running horse race trader looking at between 10 and 20 markets per day.

Elsewhere on here I have seen the suggestion to trade through a VPS as this would sort out the issue of using too much data - just throwing out ideas on topics I know little about!

As an aside this has got me feeling rather down; I know relative to real problems this is pretty minor, but I am getting into a rhythm with trading, really work best on the jumps so now is a good time for me, and this happens. But there we go, that is life. Thanks for any advice
northbound

If your area has good 4G signal (check your phone), you could:

- Go to a mobile store (e.g. Vodafone, Three, EE)

- Enquire about a pay as you go sim with 60+ Gb data allowance, telling them that you need to use this traffic on a laptop (as opposed to a mobile phone)

- Also enquire about a 4G router, which is a device where you insert the sim and create a wifi network to which you can connect to with your laptop

- When you have sim and router, also get a VPS subscription, e.g. Bet Angel VPS. It's simply a remote Windows computer where you can install Bet Angel.

- The VPS provider will give you a username/password to connect to this remote computer. You can connect by using a software called Microsoft Remote Desktop.

The 60Gb/month should be fine to trade on Betfair through VPS for a few hours every day and watch most races through Betfair Live Video.

Aside from that, I'd refrain from watching any other videos, e.g. Youtube, as the longer the video and the bigger its resolution, the more data you will consume.

Betfair Live Video should be fine because its resolution is quite low.
spreadbetting

Depends where you live but those 4G or 5G mobile routers are meant to be ok and you can get them on 1 month trials, be costly but you do have to speculate to accumulate in this game. I'd try BT first as it won't be much more than flipping a switch at the exchange especially if it's their fault. Otherwise taking an enforced break isn't the end of the world, if you think you'll forget all you've learnt in two weeks there was probably little you knew. When you 'crack' it you don't suddenly lose it if you're not trading.
Jukebox

How about talking to a neighbour.
spreadbetting

Or just hack into one of their wifi feeds, if they're old they probably won't even have changed the default password :D
BetBuddy

spreadbetting wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:40 pm
Or just hack into one of their wifi feeds, if they're old they probably won't even have changed the default password :D
+ 1

I live in a block of 12 flats, 7 of them are using the default password and i can get a signal strength of 4 from most of those. :lol:
Derek27

arbitrage16 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:19 pm
Woke up this morning to no internet - due to a house move BT have switched it off too early, so I'm without access before the end of the month. That would mean no trading, but I can't accept that so need to find a solution and would appreciate any help. The suggestion seems to be a mifi device - how feasible is this to trade from? I'm an in-running horse race trader looking at between 10 and 20 markets per day.

Elsewhere on here I have seen the suggestion to trade through a VPS as this would sort out the issue of using too much data - just throwing out ideas on topics I know little about!

As an aside this has got me feeling rather down; I know relative to real problems this is pretty minor, but I am getting into a rhythm with trading, really work best on the jumps so now is a good time for me, and this happens. But there we go, that is life. Thanks for any advice
I moved earlier this year and had to wait a week to get connected. I traded quite happily with my smartphone 4G connection. The only issue was that I had no backup connection if it failed.
Derek27

BetBuddy wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:10 pm
spreadbetting wrote:
+ 1

I live in a block of 12 flats, 7 of them are using the default password and i can get a signal strength of 4 from most of those. :lol:
How do you know the default password? I would assume each device has a unique random default?
BetBuddy

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:17 pm
BetBuddy wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:10 pm
spreadbetting wrote:
+ 1

How do you know the default password? I would assume each device has a unique random default?
There all on SKY broadband/internet.

By logging directly onto each router itself via:

IP: 192.168.0.1
Login: admin
Pass: sky
northbound

BetBuddy wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:35 pm
By logging directly onto each router itself via:

IP: 192.168.0.1
Login: admin
Pass: sky
Surely you must connect to the wifi network first before being able to reach its router admin ip?

So, how do you connect to the wifi network in the first place, without the pwd?
Derek27

Navigating to 192.168.0.1 takes you to your own router or web server. I heard Virgin Media default passwords are flawed and a hacker can find out what it is, but I haven't a clue how.
Euler

I use an EE 4G home router as a back up device and it works wonderfully well. It's faster than my office broadband, though we have a community project underway to get the highest speed possible. But I've always had a backup router, just in case.
BetBuddy

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:08 pm
Navigating to 192.168.0.1 takes you to your own router or web server. I heard Virgin Media default passwords are flawed and a hacker can find out what it is, but I haven't a clue how.
You turn your own router off first. Download some software which scans for routers and the connects via 192.168.0.1, then you enter Admin & sky. Once connect setup a guest account with admin rights and away you go.
arbitrage16

Thanks for the responses here. BT have been useless, but the really frustrating thing is that they have only responded and been willing to do what is necessary when I have kicked off and been 'overly assertive' with them - what kind of a model is that, rewarding only the customers willing to shout?

Anyway. When I run a speed test on the 4g here it has me on a download speed of about 2.5mbps. Is that sufficient to trade in running horses? I need to use pics so my concern is that they might be too much for such a connection, thanks.

edit: actually getting a range of 2-14 mbps depending on where it is in the house. Is ping of more significance? That ranges from 34-247
Emmson

I've been trading using one of these with very few difficulties, no drop-outs at all.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3125102 ... ter:1:14:1

also was rather surprised at how low the ping I was registering, not much worse than a landline connection.

Return to “General discussion”