Telegram community

A place to discuss anything.
Satoshis

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any telegram communities for sports traders? If not I would be happy to create one If I get some people interested.

If you think its a good idea, please reply.

-Satoshis
trader44

whats a telegram community .is it like the old western days when someone would ride halfway across the country to deliver a message :lol:
firlandsfarm

I was a member of one for a day but like just about all social media it was swamped by useless 'in-gang' chit-chat noise and was not worth the effort of trying to find things of value!
Derek27

trader44 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:30 pm
whats a telegram community .is it like the old western days when someone would ride halfway across the country to deliver a message :lol:
I was going to ask myself. I thought it might be a club for people approaching the age of 100. :)
Satoshis

trader44 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:30 pm
It's a group chat that is on an application called Telegram.

It is pretty much a modern mIRC.
Satoshis

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:56 am
I was a member of one for a day but like just about all social media it was swamped by useless 'in-gang' chit-chat noise and was not worth the effort of trying to find things of value!
Fair enough. I have been part of many trading communities on telegram that are crypto focused. Although toxic at times I have learnt a lot over the years.

A well moderated group could be of value.
RalfusDawes

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:56 am
...swamped by useless 'in-gang' chit-chat noise ...
The same could be said of some sports trading forums, I'm sure ;)
Satoshis wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:33 am
A well moderated group could be of value.
Agreed. Northbound and Psychoff have made good use of telegram (albeit for notifications rather than a chat community), so it should be a familiar platform to many here.
Euler

With a few exceptions, most of the groups I've seen have been appalling. There is probably room for a decent one, but I doubt many full-time traders would be able to contribute as it's tough enough to keep focus when actively trading.
Kai

It's hard to create a community out of thin air, the reason this community works for so long is because of rock-solid foundations and people for the most part have something in common in Bet Angel.

So I don't see anything wrong with this one? There's a good mix of aspiring traders and bored fulltimers, even occasional trolls. Ideally you want a bit of everything to keep everyone engaged, the more (opinions) the merrier, if your crypto group had some toxicity then it was probably a decent one. You can't really have a community where all the pros just post trades that newbies can blindly follow, there's too much conflict of interest, that's probably why those communities end up failing.
Satoshis

Euler wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:04 pm
With a few exceptions, most of the groups I've seen have been appalling. There is probably room for a decent one, but I doubt many full-time traders would be able to contribute as it's tough enough to keep focus when actively trading.
I completely agree, I have been trading full time for the past 12 months. I spent 2 years prior to trading full time learning the very basics. As time has passed I have spent less and less time interacting.

(I came to understand markets from trading/investing in crypto and happened to find some good friends that helped me see the light along the way)

I still feel the need to socialize and chat with people in the same mindset though as it is a lonely world if you can't speak to anyone about what you are doing.

I have mentioned to close friends and family that I have started "sports trading" and they laugh at me. This makes me more determined to succeed, yet I feel more lonely.

I still believe a well-moderated chat could be of value. I would also like to help Bet Angel grow even more. If I could be of any assistance please PM me, I have experience in moderating chats and would like to align and prove myself to the BA community.

-Satoshis
Satoshis

Kai wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:54 pm
It's hard to create a community out of thin air, the reason this community works for so long is because of rock-solid foundations and people for the most part have something in common in Bet Angel.

So I don't see anything wrong with this one? There's a good mix of aspiring traders and bored fulltimers, even occasional trolls. Ideally you want a bit of everything to keep everyone engaged, the more (opinions) the merrier, if your crypto group had some toxicity then it was probably a decent one. You can't really have a community where all the pros just post trades that newbies can blindly follow, there's too much conflict of interest, that's probably why those communities end up failing.
Hey Kai,

The problem with the Crypto communities is that a lot of scammers were and are still present. It is still possible to shill something and make it move 20%. Which Is why I am done with the open groups and only take part in my private groups. Crypto is still the wild wild west.

My aim is to be able to trade anything which is why I have left the crypto scene behind. Sports trading looks like it will fit perfectly into my day trading plan.

PS I am not trying to sidestep the community here. I was just wondering if there are any groups that exist already or if I am able to assist on being an extension of the current one.

-Satoshis
Kai

Satoshis wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:16 pm
I still believe a well-moderated chat could be of value. I would also like to help Bet Angel grow even more. If I could be of any assistance please PM me, I have experience in moderating chats and would like to align and prove myself to the BA community.
But it's not really about the platform, it's all about the participants?

Everyone is free and welcome to share as little or as much as they want on a forum, but if everyone just sits on their ass waiting for others to post something of value then the whole thing can fall apart, much like the other forum and most telegram channels did.

It's true that the forum could be so much better if more people shared more of their opinions, knowledge and experience overall. But the sad truth is that those that have the most value to offer have no real incentive to share any of it with others, which is why there's so little of it around in general, and those that spend too much time typing for the benefit of others probably don't really value their own time as much as they should. If you're experienced enough you can read between the lines quite well and still have at least something to gain but for newbies a lot of the stuff will most likely be useless at that point, so they look elsewhere as I imagine they feel like there's not much "value" for them here.
Satoshis

Kai wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:50 pm
Satoshis wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:16 pm
But it's not really about the platform, it's all about the participants?

Everyone is free and welcome to share as little or as much as they want on a forum, but if everyone just sits on their ass waiting for others to post something of value then the whole thing can fall apart, much like the other forum and most telegram channels did.

It's true that the forum could be so much better if more people shared more of their opinions, knowledge and experience overall. But the sad truth is that those that have the most value to offer have no real incentive to share any of it with others, which is why there's so little of it around in general, and those that spend too much time typing for the benefit of others probably don't really value their own time as much as they should. If you're experienced enough you can read between the lines quite well and still have at least something to gain but for newbies a lot of the stuff will most likely be useless at that point, so they look elsewhere as I imagine they feel like there's not much "value" for them here.
I once met a sports trader from Croatia at a poker game in Cyprus.

Is it you Goran? :D
Kai

Satoshis wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:15 pm
Is it you Goran? :D
Nope, sorry :)
RalfusDawes

Kai, you make some good points. When I first discovered trading, I read through forums like this one to look for answers and advice. I quickly discovered there were plenty of people looking for easy answers, and those with the answers weren't giving much away. Two answers I read stuck with me though: study the markets; the more you put into this, the more you will get out of it.

Satoshi, if you know where I can find the guy who ran off with the Bitcoin I had in BTC-e/Wex, drop me a pm!!! :cry:

Some valid points from the guys/gals here about how toxic social media and chats can be, but I hope that doesn't put you off. Connecting with other like-minded traders in a closed group is a solid idea. Go for it!

(I'm using enemy software, so I'll see myself out)

Return to “General discussion”