How do you invest the money you make?

A place to discuss anything.
PeterLe

:D Well we may just look back at that post Liam in ten year time and this words "Ignore Crypto..." :D I read somewhere if you had bought £1.87 of bitcoin in 2010 it would be worth circa £1m today
there are some that think it will go to $50K and others think much higher than that. Looks like a blended fund, so not just Bitcoin.
I may put a small amount in for the grand kids :) Who knows what it will be worth in 30 Years time.
I haven't heard of GME? Hope you got in early in that one, nice! :mrgreen:
LinusP

PeterLe wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:17 pm
:D Well we may just look back at that post Liam in ten year time and this words "Ignore Crypto..." :D I read somewhere if you had bought £1.87 of bitcoin in 2010 it would be worth circa £1m today
there are some that think it will go to $50K and others think much higher than that. Looks like a blended fund, so not just Bitcoin.
I may put a small amount in for the grand kids :) Who knows what it will be worth in 30 Years time.
I haven't heard of GME? Hope you got in early in that one, nice! :mrgreen:
:D I am not involved but it's been funny to watch what is happening, r/wallstreetbets is another world.

In regards to bitcoin I am sure it will reach new highs but it's just gambling in my eyes.
Crazyskier

1) Pay off or balance transfer credit card balances and set them all to 'pay full balance' each month, so no interest being paid for cards, ever.

2) Pay off car lease and personal loan as the interest isn't cheap, though a lower rate than credit cards.

3) Keep around 3-6 months salary / living expenses in a current account.

4) Once 1-3 are complete, invest in Premium Bonds and ISA to the cap.

5) Overpay mortgage until 100% debt free.

PS - I'm still at 1, though I do have some Premium Bonds, just in case I get lucky 😉

CS
PeterLe

Crazyskier wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:44 pm
1) Pay off or balance transfer credit card balances and set them all to 'pay full balance' each month, so no interest being paid for cards, ever.

2) Pay off car lease and personal loan as the interest isn't cheap, though a lower rate than credit cards.

3) Keep around 3-6 months salary / living expenses in a current account.

4) Once 1-3 are complete, invest in Premium Bonds and ISA to the cap.

5) Overpay mortgage until 100% debt free.

PS - I'm still at 1, though I do have some Premium Bonds, just in case I get lucky 😉

CS
Nice CS; keep them Bots going and you will get there!
The only problem with that list that you will find is that when you get to 5, you then start helping the kids! :D
PS, I know someone who only had £15K of Bonds and they hit the jackpot!
megarain

Didnt know where to ask this.

I am doing my online self-assessment for UK tax for the first time.

I have Capital gains tax to pay, and the online assessment platform only allows 20 worksheets (one for each asset)

I made profits/losses on 30 different stocks/shares - where do I put the details on the other 10 ?

TIA
rostov

megarain wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:07 pm

I have Capital gains tax to pay, and the online assessment platform only allows 20 worksheets (one for each asset)

I made profits/losses on 30 different stocks/shares - where do I put the details on the other 10 ?

TIA
CGT applies only on disposal.

https://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/capit ... bbh8b4kuxt
tumby

Just phone the HMRC helpline, you will have to wait for a while but I found them quite helpful when I had a similar issue.
Euler

I use an accountant and that solves all those problems!
PDC

Euler wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:27 am
True, but you are still liable for any errors regardless.
megarain

Euler wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:27 am
Yeah .. I paid some mindless twot 600 GBP to do my return last year, based on the excel sheets I provided.

Further aggravated they send out reminder notices on Xmas eve, in red ink - I understand Covid problems, but
will have a go myself.
Euler

I used to do them myself but it ended up being so time consuming.
JackRussel

rostov wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:55 am
megarain wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:07 pm

TIA
CGT applies only on disposal.

https://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/capit ... bbh8b4kuxt
Oh, how many delays there are with these taxes. I'd rather read an article on how not to pay taxes :) And the very beginning of the article says that unless I'm a retiree or Isa, I have to pay taxes. How about registering my trade to a retired grandfather? :)
HorseDark

JackRussel wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:31 pm
Oh, how many delays there are with these taxes. I'd rather read an article on how not to pay taxes :) And the very beginning of the article says that unless I'm a retiree or Isa, I have to pay taxes. How about registering my trade to a retired grandfather? :)
If you are a retiree and hold shares outside of a pension or an ISA, you still have to pay capital gains tax for those shares.
BFDon

10% Cash
70% Stocks (Global Tracker)
20% Bonds

Regular investing set up each month and LISA and ISA topped up each year

The last 2 years have been yet another lesson in how it's extremely difficult to time the market

Does anyone have crypto as part of their diversified portfolio? I'm increasingly tempted to add some, perhaps up to 3% as a long term hold
megarain

Update as to tech rally.

Can’t help thinking u can own 5 or so stocks and forget

Long : Nvidia (rocket ship) (June 1 price 356, July 1 price - 382) Nov 4 - after 4-1 stock split in June, they now 284 - up 97% in last yr
Tesla .. same (June 1 price, 86, July 1 price -120 - split - up 193% in last yr
Microsoft June 1 - 18386, July 1 - 20500 - now $335 - up 55% in last yr
Shopify .. all star - June 1, 74, July 1 - 98 - now 1525 - up 54% in last yr
Amazon .. same - June 1, 25200, July 1, 28400 - now 3460 - up 7% in past yr
Apple .. June 1, 32700, July 1, 36300 - 152 after split - up 32% in past yr

Have now 5% of the portfolio in Etherum/Cardano/Bitcoin.

DYOR

Return to “General discussion”