How do you invest the money you make?

A place to discuss anything.
weemac

gazuty wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:11 am
Worth reading - https://www.gmo.com/australia/research- ... ast-dance/

Of course there always the criticism of the person who called 26 of the last 3 crashes.

On the other hand I'm sitting on a chunk of cash earning zero because I just can't believe asset valuations and I can't believe markets largely shrugged off the disruption from covid.
Good article. Meanwhile, Elon Musk's personal worth is greater than the entire value of every company in Europe except six.

In other news, one bitcoin is worth more than.......the entire universe.
gazuty

weemac wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:34 am
Good article. Meanwhile, Elon Musk's personal worth is greater than the entire value of every company in Europe except six.

In other news, one bitcoin is worth more than.......the entire universe.
Yep, and the quote from the article, the market can stay irrational longer that any of us can stay solvent.

I can't wrap my mind around Tesla's valuation, its lack of unique selling proposition and the fact that even the giants of the auto industry (with alll the efficiency of scale etc) can't make money without state subsidy (in some way or another, not always direct but with the market tilted in some way).
PeterLe

Hi
I know its not possible to invest crypto currency in an ISA, but you can use a crypto currency tracker fund (Eg BIT-XBT)
I know it will be extremely volatile (and is a punt I guess at the end of the day)

just wondered what the consensus is re Crypto; has it had its day or is there more to come?
Appreciate any views
Thanks
Regards
Peter
Trader Pat

I think the simple answer is nobody knows!

And I wouldn't pay much attention to people who say they do.
LinusP

PeterLe wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:11 pm
Hi
I know its not possible to invest crypto currency in an ISA, but you can use a crypto currency tracker fund (Eg BIT-XBT)
I know it will be extremely volatile (and is a punt I guess at the end of the day)

just wondered what the consensus is re Crypto; has it had its day or is there more to come?
Appreciate any views
Thanks
Regards
Peter
Ignore crypto, its all about GME :lol:

https://marketstream.io/symbol/GME
PeterLe

:D Well we may just look back at that post Liam in ten year time and this words "Ignore Crypto..." :D I read somewhere if you had bought £1.87 of bitcoin in 2010 it would be worth circa £1m today
there are some that think it will go to $50K and others think much higher than that. Looks like a blended fund, so not just Bitcoin.
I may put a small amount in for the grand kids :) Who knows what it will be worth in 30 Years time.
I haven't heard of GME? Hope you got in early in that one, nice! :mrgreen:
LinusP

PeterLe wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:17 pm
:D Well we may just look back at that post Liam in ten year time and this words "Ignore Crypto..." :D I read somewhere if you had bought £1.87 of bitcoin in 2010 it would be worth circa £1m today
there are some that think it will go to $50K and others think much higher than that. Looks like a blended fund, so not just Bitcoin.
I may put a small amount in for the grand kids :) Who knows what it will be worth in 30 Years time.
I haven't heard of GME? Hope you got in early in that one, nice! :mrgreen:
:D I am not involved but it's been funny to watch what is happening, r/wallstreetbets is another world.

In regards to bitcoin I am sure it will reach new highs but it's just gambling in my eyes.
Crazyskier

1) Pay off or balance transfer credit card balances and set them all to 'pay full balance' each month, so no interest being paid for cards, ever.

2) Pay off car lease and personal loan as the interest isn't cheap, though a lower rate than credit cards.

3) Keep around 3-6 months salary / living expenses in a current account.

4) Once 1-3 are complete, invest in Premium Bonds and ISA to the cap.

5) Overpay mortgage until 100% debt free.

PS - I'm still at 1, though I do have some Premium Bonds, just in case I get lucky 😉

CS
PeterLe

Crazyskier wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:44 pm
1) Pay off or balance transfer credit card balances and set them all to 'pay full balance' each month, so no interest being paid for cards, ever.

2) Pay off car lease and personal loan as the interest isn't cheap, though a lower rate than credit cards.

3) Keep around 3-6 months salary / living expenses in a current account.

4) Once 1-3 are complete, invest in Premium Bonds and ISA to the cap.

5) Overpay mortgage until 100% debt free.

PS - I'm still at 1, though I do have some Premium Bonds, just in case I get lucky 😉

CS
Nice CS; keep them Bots going and you will get there!
The only problem with that list that you will find is that when you get to 5, you then start helping the kids! :D
PS, I know someone who only had £15K of Bonds and they hit the jackpot!
megarain

Didnt know where to ask this.

I am doing my online self-assessment for UK tax for the first time.

I have Capital gains tax to pay, and the online assessment platform only allows 20 worksheets (one for each asset)

I made profits/losses on 30 different stocks/shares - where do I put the details on the other 10 ?

TIA
rostov

megarain wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:07 pm
Didnt know where to ask this.

I am doing my online self-assessment for UK tax for the first time.

I have Capital gains tax to pay, and the online assessment platform only allows 20 worksheets (one for each asset)

I made profits/losses on 30 different stocks/shares - where do I put the details on the other 10 ?

TIA
CGT applies only on disposal.

https://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/capit ... bbh8b4kuxt
tumby

Just phone the HMRC helpline, you will have to wait for a while but I found them quite helpful when I had a similar issue.
Euler

I use an accountant and that solves all those problems!
PDC

Euler wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:27 am
True, but you are still liable for any errors regardless.
megarain

Euler wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:27 am
Yeah .. I paid some mindless twot 600 GBP to do my return last year, based on the excel sheets I provided.

Further aggravated they send out reminder notices on Xmas eve, in red ink - I understand Covid problems, but
will have a go myself.

Return to “General discussion”