Coronavirus - A pale horse,4 men and ....beer

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

superfrank wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:12 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:10 pm
65 is hardly "near enough identical" to life expectancy. 65-year-olds who die from covid may well have lived until 90. 90-year-olds may have lived to 95-100. The bottom line is, in a typical winter the NHS aren't as desperately stretched as they are now.
You've misread it.
The average age of people who have died with Covid is above 80 with more than nine in 10 of the deaths among the over 65s, according to Office for National Statistics analyses of the pandemic.
Misread what? I was just replying to your comment. I've just looked up UK life expectancy as 81.26. My life expectancy is probably below that as I drink and smoke a lot but anyone who makes it to 80 and is relatively healthy, I would say is very likely to go beyond that - you'd need to reevaluate their life expectancy.
superfrank

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:20 pm
Misread what? I was just replying to your comment. I've just looked up UK life expectancy as 81.26. My life expectancy is probably below that as I drink and smoke a lot but anyone who makes it to 80 and is relatively healthy, I would say is very likely to go beyond that - you'd need to reevaluate their life expectancy.
I give up with you Derek. You're absurd. You don't reply to my posts, and I won't reply to yours! Deal?
greenmark

superfrank wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:17 pm
It's not just the ongoing censorship of non-mainstream views that are the issue, the media (especially the broadcast media) never seem to ask any searching questions.

For example, Kuenssberg and Peston only ever ask questions such as, why aren't you doing hasher lockdowns? why didn't you do it sooner? etc. and never, for example, what evidence do you have that lockdowns are not doing more harm than good?

There is also precious little coverage of the economic carnage being caused by these lockdowns - unless you're fat and over 80, the R rate you need to worry about most is Redundancy.
Can I ask what are your height, weight, underlying health conditions, eomployment/economic status and age?
superfrank

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:31 pm
Can I ask what are your height, weight, underlying health conditions, eomployment/economic status and age?
I'll play along...

6'1, 13st, none (known), self-employed, 50.
Derek27

superfrank wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:23 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:20 pm
I give up with you Derek. You're absurd. You don't reply to my posts, and I won't reply to yours! Deal?
It's not practical to have a deal not to reply to a users posts because it means staying out of an entire topic.
superfrank wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:40 pm
Anyone care to comment on average COVID death age being near enough identical to life expectancy?
You asked of a comment on the average age of death so you got one, even if it wasn't to your liking, and I can't really see what's wrong with may comment.
greenmark

superfrank wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:49 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:31 pm
I'll play along...

6'1, 13st, none (known), self-employed, 50.
Would you accept that without lockdown ie reducing human interaction we would be facing a death rate way above the 5 year average for the time of year? (we already are by the way, 2 weeks into lockdown).
superfrank

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:59 pm
Would you accept that without lockdown ie reducing human interaction we would be facing a death rate way above the 5 year average for the time of year? (we already are by the way, 2 weeks into lockdown).
I really don't know. The death rate last year wasn't exceptional at all.
greenmark

superfrank wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:04 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:59 pm
I really don't know. The death rate last year wasn't exceptional at all.
Really? I thought we we recorded nearly 90,000 excess deaths above the 5 year average.
superfrank

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:08 pm
Really? I thought we we recorded nearly 90,000 excess deaths above the 5 year average.
Even if true, the fact remains that the average covid death age is pretty much the same as life expectancy which suggests that any excess death rate is result of people (over 80 on average) dying a year or so earlier than expected (on average).
StellaBot

Get a job in ITU

Then wake up
When?

depends on your attitude
and continual behaviour

BUT DONT WORRY

YOUR COLLEAGUES WILL STILL LOOK AFTER YOU
greenmark

superfrank wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:24 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:08 pm
Even if true, the fact remains that the average covid death age is pretty much the same as life expectancy which suggests that any excess death rate is result of people (over 80 on average) dying a year or so earlier than expected (on average).
I think I know where you're coming from. Covid is just taking people that would have been taken by the winter cull anyway.
The argument against that is - until we social distance we still have seriously above average levels of death.
And it seems the stats support lockdown as the most effective control measure.
And what is the argument for the Govt trashing the economy if they didn't need to?
StellaBot

No

google spanish flu

google normal flu and vaccine

then google realisation
StellaBot

I wish there was a LINK on here of educational videos
about Coronavirus
same as Bet Angel does for newcomers guides etc
The Silk Run

It appears there is yet another variant of this awful disease. Stella Beer, and cohort Google :o
superfrank

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:37 pm
I think I know where you're coming from. Covid is just taking people that would have been taken by the winter cull anyway.
Yes, maybe a bit sooner. And my dad is 82 and in supported housing - don't think I don't care or don't want him to live to 90.
greenmark wrote:
The argument against that is - until we social distance we still have seriously above average levels of death.
And it seems the stats support lockdown as the most effective control measure.
Above average levels of death are to be expected in a pandemic.
The question is whether the response is appropriate.
greenmark wrote:
And what is the argument for the Govt trashing the economy if they didn't need to?
A possible overreaction, because SAGE have the ear of govt. and opposing voices are being drowned out (SAGE and govt. employees get paid full whack whatever happens).

Return to “General discussion”