Coronavirus - A pale horse,4 men and ....beer

A place to discuss anything.
spreadbetting

firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:50 pm
1. The "happy" reference was as much a question as an assumption but I note you assumed it to be an assumption!
2. I particularly love your (flawed) assumption that I love making assumptions! Very ironic especially as I don't. :lol: :lol: :lol:
3. Not wishing to make an assumption but you seem to be saying that past deeds are acceptable if it doesn't bother the majority if so then where is the majority pushing the current anti-statue action? A few thousand who have nothing better to do does not a majority make out of a population of over 60 million.
4. Yes there is a very fine dividing line between terrorist and freedom fighter but not terrorist activity. Or are no suggesting that loss of life is acceptable?
5. I have no love for Cecil (another failed assumption but do keep trying, it's amusing). I'm often accused of supporting an individual by people who don't understand that a principle can be debated without regard for the person.
1) Questions are usually ended with a question mark, exclamation marks are used for something completely different, so quite a reasonable assumption to make. Maybe you should have concentrated harder at school than furtively planning those shoplifting sprees ;)

2) & 3) See above don't really want go round in circles about assumptions.

4) Loss of life should never be acceptable but sometimes it's simply inevitable, guess we have many wars to verify that's the case.

5) Well I never.
spreadbetting

Archery1969 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:05 pm
Apparently its not just statue's that need to come down.

"Among the institutions with a history of slavery connections are the Bank of England, high-street banks (RBS, Barclays and Lloyds), railway companies, insurance companies and even the Royal Mail. And as these organisations flourished through their use of forced labour, their owners bequeathed part of their huge wealth to some of the UK’s leading cultural institutions, including the National Gallery, the Royal Academy, the Tate, the Victoria & Albert and the British Museum."

Maybe there is an argument for burning the UK to the ground and rebuilding a great "Lets hold hands and dance around a tree" new beginning for the minority mob.

I think we should also burn down Betfair HQ as its business practice is immoral and we as individuals are not paying any income tax in the UK. I am sure most of the public, MP's and day time TV would be horrified when they find out. I might email Diane Abbott and confess all our daily sins, assuming she will understand the numbers.

:roll:
Think sa7med perfectly covered these lines of argument before, but email Diane all the same

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum
Crazyskier

Archery1969 wrote:
I might email Diane Abbott and confess all our daily sins, assuming she will understand the numbers.

The only numbers this sad excuse for a human being has any comprehension of, are the ones pertaining to the public school fees of her child James, when she was utterly humiliated (again!) for rejecting the state education in Hackney, the very area where she as local MP had supposedly spent years working to improve educational standards.

CS
Kafkaesque

For anyone wanting a take, that's neither biased on the left or the right, on the movement stateside, I highly recommend Joe Rogan with Bret Weinstein that's just landed. The first 25-30 minutes at least. Gets a bit more nerdy into the nitty-gritty of what and why after that.
Dallas

UK Covid alert level has just be downgraded from 4 to 3
Derek27

Dallas wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:08 pm
They should use words instead of numbers, severe, critical, apocalyptic, as they do with the terrorist threat.
Kafkaesque

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:20 pm
Dallas wrote:
They should use words instead of numbers, severe, critical, apocalyptic, as they do with the terrorist threat.
My theory would be, that they don't do so for exactly the reason, you want them to (if I'm comprehending your thought correctly, that is). "They" don't the generel public too react to readily to a downgrade; it's more for people with a public function of some sort.

Going 4 to 3 is just a number to most people and 3 still sounds bad enough. If it, using your wording, goes from critical to severe instead, you'd have more people thinking they don't have to care as much than you would with numbers imo.
Derek27

Kafkaesque wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:33 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:20 pm
Dallas wrote:
My theory would be, that they don't do so for exactly the reason, you want them to (if I'm comprehending your thought correctly, that is). "They" don't the generel public too react to readily to a downgrade; it's more for people with a public function of some sort.

Going 4 to 3 is just a number to most people and 3 still sounds bad enough. If it, using your wording, goes from critical to severe instead, you'd have more people thinking they don't have to care as much than you would with numbers imo.
Sorry, I should have chucked in a ;) in that post. :)
Derek27

I was thinking of popping in to my local when it opens just to give a bit of support but now I've heard you may need to register before buying pint!!
sa7med

spreadbetting wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:50 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Apparently its not just statue's that need to come down.

"Among the institutions with a history of slavery connections are the Bank of England, high-street banks (RBS, Barclays and Lloyds), railway companies, insurance companies and even the Royal Mail. And as these organisations flourished through their use of forced labour, their owners bequeathed part of their huge wealth to some of the UK’s leading cultural institutions, including the National Gallery, the Royal Academy, the Tate, the Victoria & Albert and the British Museum."

Maybe there is an argument for burning the UK to the ground and rebuilding a great "Lets hold hands and dance around a tree" new beginning for the minority mob.

I think we should also burn down Betfair HQ as its business practice is immoral and we as individuals are not paying any income tax in the UK. I am sure most of the public, MP's and day time TV would be horrified when they find out. I might email Diane Abbott and confess all our daily sins, assuming she will understand the numbers.

Think sa7med perfectly covered these lines of argument before, but email Diane all the same

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum
I actually wrongly used reduction to the absurd. It's really more of a slippery slope argument. And drawing conclusions from argument different from the one that is being made. You don't keep around symbols/monuments honoring fascists for example because you don't want to honor them, but you also don't throw away the science they discovered or the buildings they made, or the roads they built. On the one hand you don't want to memorialize them, on the other is pragmatism. There's nothing practical about a statue/memorial. And it's not merely a testament to history either. You don't memorialize every significant event in history, just the ones that deserve a special place. It's perfectly legitimate to consider that an individual no longer deserves a special place and does not imply that you have to topple western civilization in order to do that. The place to preserve and scrutinize history is in the museum, not in the town square.
firlandsfarm

sa7med wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:02 am
You don't keep around symbols/monuments honoring fascists for example because you don't want to honor them, but you also don't throw away the science they discovered or the buildings they made, or the roads they built. On the one hand you don't want to memorialize them, on the other is pragmatism. There's nothing practical about a statue/memorial. And it's not merely a testament to history either. You don't memorialize every significant event in history, just the ones that deserve a special place. It's perfectly legitimate to consider that an individual no longer deserves a special place and does not imply that you have to topple western civilization in order to do that. The place to preserve and scrutinize history is in the museum, not in the town square.
I actually take your point sa7med and agree the principle but my point has always been and will always remain it's not for an undemocratic mob of 10,000 to make that decision … an unelected mob of 10,000 does not a majority make in a country of 50 million eligible voters. Where such memorials are in public ownership decisions should be taken by elected representatives of the public after taking soundings and without the pressure of the mob (and I include certain media within that mob). To start they should set out the criteria they will apply and seek some form of general public acceptance of that criteria.
Derek27

Police have published photographs of five people responsible for bringing down the statue in Bristol.
superfrank

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:38 pm
Police have published photographs of five people responsible for bringing down the statue in Bristol.

I'm pretty sure number 3 is Andy Cole!
jamesedwards

superfrank wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:26 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:38 pm

I'm pretty sure number 3 is Andy Cole!
They are mostly wearing facemasks! Cunning...
Trader Pat

Number 4 looks like Tyson Fury! :D

Return to “General discussion”