Coronavirus - A pale horse,4 men and ....beer

A place to discuss anything.
mcgoo

My wife just ordered me 6 cases of beer pending quarantine related emergency shortages( :D what a woman :) )
Seriously though..anybody shorting stocks and buying gold yet or does your spidey tradey sense tell you this will all blow over and we can safely wait in the Winchester ? :geek:
On another serious note..I'll take this opportunity to say that I hope this illness doesn't affect you or your families and that is does indeed go away sooner than later.Take care and all the best
sniffer66

Fingers crossed. Had a fair whack knocked off my pension fund in the last few days. Not sure if it's related but did see a brief headline that the financial markets are nervous. Hoping to take a wedge out in 8 months so not the best timing if it is.
jamesg46

Personally I feel it's an opportunity, itll all be forgotten about in 12 months time & we can all get back to reading and listening to people hate each other again...

If I had any idea how to go about it or indeed what the hell I was doing, I think I'd be buying some of the panic.
Euler

Title and thread location a bit ambiguous, maybe we should rename the thread. Do you mind if I edit it?
mcgoo

Euler wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:56 pm
Title and thread location a bit ambiguous, maybe we should rename the thread. Do you mind if I edit it?
Not at all.
Euler

Real fear in the market. Bound to be some consequences and it feels like it's only going to get worse short term.

Highly leveraged companies will run into difficulties quickly if there is an economic impact. So don't buy those on a dip!
Euler

An interesting angle could be the US presidential market, depending on how Trump manages its arrival in the US.
johnsheppard

My father in law has started stocking up 6 months worth of food. I am not sure this should be given too much weight into any of your financial modelling however, when the rest of us die, there will likely be some fat finger opportunities abound... (forehead on keyboard sort of thing)...
mcgoo

johnsheppard wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:45 pm
My father in law has started stocking up 6 months worth of food. I am not sure this should be given too much weight into any of your financial modelling however, when the rest of us die, there will likely be some fat finger opportunities abound... (forehead on keyboard sort of thing)...
:? :lol:
Jukebox

Among my own group of friends I'm hearing of difficulties with supplies where they or their suppliers are having problems - some with electronic components and others with simple things like packaging. China is in most supply chains somewhere along the line. Your non Chinese sourced materials or ingredients and your non Chinese production line still gets held up because your Chinese packaging machine needs a spare or the the special bags are on back order. Other sources which were previously too expensive are now becoming inundated and capitalising.
mcgoo

One trending example :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sniffer66

6% in a week off my (almost) 7 figure pension pot is a little unnerving. May have to take the long term view and delay the early retirement :(
marketraisen

I dont see any downside to having a supply of water and food on hand, the best argument I've heard against it is other people viewing it as 'a bit weird', its not as food prices have ever gone down.

There will be a ton of opportunities out there to make money of course, many have already with the various financial markets struggling, selling the Chinese medical supplies and investing in food exporters to China. Right now we are seeing massive moves to shift supply chains to other parts of the world and I suspect countries like India and SE Asia/Vietnam/Indonesia to benefit the most.

Not that any of these places will be spared in the event of a real viral pandemic that kills a lot of people, if anything China is in a far stronger position to deal with it than anyone else in the world, maybe the best place to put your money right now is in the West.
gazuty

mcgoo wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:02 am
My wife just ordered me 6 cases of beer pending quarantine related emergency shortages( :D what a woman :) )
Seriously though..anybody shorting stocks and buying gold yet or does your spidey tradey sense tell you this will all blow over and we can safely wait in the Winchester ? :geek:
On another serious note..I'll take this opportunity to say that I hope this illness doesn't affect you or your families and that is does indeed go away sooner than later.Take care and all the best
I try to keep approx 10% of my portfolio in gold. I was a little underweight gold, but now as other assets fall ...

I try to follow this 10% gold, 30% listed property, 30% bonds (in that its 10% hybrids, 10% govt, 10% emerging market), 30% equities (for me it’s mainly US equities).
Euler

US 10 year bond slips below 1.30% for the first time ever. Markets are pricing in some turmoil.

Return to “General discussion”